need baffles ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
I have mopar performance valve covers. I have a breather on one side and a pcv in the other..oddly enough, these covers came without baffles..

buddy today, tells me that I cannot run them w/o baffles..that the pcv will pump oil into the carb...

sounds a bit odd to me..

anyone with experience with these ?

Thanx
ian.

But the buddy is right, as they can suck up oil.
I don't think it's a huge deal though, because you'll be able to tell pretty quick if it's sucking up too much. :D

The MPP valve covers have the holes underneath that take the baffles, I am setting my MPP valve covers up right finally right now, baffles can be had at any local Chrysler dealership for only like 9.00$ that's for a pair of them with the hardware.

Thanks...

Just for fun, I will head down to the chrysler dealership and see if I can buy them and at what cost..I have been lucky before :)

nada on ebag...

I am trying to find a hose that will fit the pcv but will try to get it in clear..

Thanks for the help folks...

ian.

thay used to come with them.yes I would run them or run A 2inch.stak on both sides that's what I did ............Artie

Some of the parts stores back in Abilene used to carry baffled PCV grommets...they worked OK-better than having none at all, but still ingested some oil. Another option, aside from installing baffles as mentioned above (arguably the best option) is to run a pcv to a breather can mounted on the firewall or fender, then to your carb. It clutters up the bay a little, but almost completely removes oil consumption through the PCV

Something like this:

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Oil-Breather-Tanks/760016/10002/-1

just make them. Its a # 8 self tapping screw. i made mine out of some scrap roof flashing i had laying around. make sure you run the screws in the hole. then back em out and blow the shavings out then put them back with lock tight. dont want shavings and screws falling into the engine.

Great ideas..... a hafta admit... I like the and home made.... cheap and easy.....perfect for a budget.

thanks all !

ian.

just make them. Its a # 8 self tapping screw. i made mine out of some scrap roof flashing i had laying around. make sure you run the screws in the hole. then back em out and blow the shavings out then put them back with lock tight. dont want shavings and screws falling into the engine.

^X2^.... Exactly what I did. Took less than 1/2 hr.

Calum and I were tossing around ideas...rather than spending 150 bucks (cdn) on a canister to separate any oil from the pcv, why couldn't I stick a gas filter along the line somewhere...don't think oil would get past the filter..

Just tossing that out...thought ?...

Now I understand why I couldn't get and nut to thread in the cover...thought I was smelling too many paint fumes this afternoon :)

Ian.

Gas is thinner than oil, the filter will clog up quick.

^X2^.... Exactly what I did. Took less than 1/2 hr.

X3 Thats all I did for a pair of Cal Customs. Plus a little red permatex over the screw heads for even more cheap insurance from having any screws back out!
I bought a set of MP`s that had some homemade baffles in them too. They have a 1/4 " hole drilled in the center of each baffle to prevent any standing oil from sitting up there i`m guessing? Probably unnecessary but it didn`t hurt.

Calum and I were tossing around ideas...rather than spending 150 bucks (cdn) on a canister to separate any oil from the pcv, why couldn't I stick a gas filter along the line somewhere...don't think oil would get past the filter..

Just tossing that out...thought ?...

Now I understand why I couldn't get and nut to thread in the cover...thought I was smelling too many paint fumes this afternoon :)

Ian.

I looked around on E-bay and found a small aluminum canister (about 2-1/2" o.d. by 5" long) with 1/8" pipe holes on each end and screwed barbed fittings into it and used it for an air/oil separator. Only cost me about $12 shipped and works great. I cleaned it out after about 6 months of use, didn't have much in it but had no way to tell. I'm sure by the small amount it had in it cleaning once a year would be fine.

OK...gas filter is out.

fishy, do you remember what you searched on to have this unit pop up.

Thanks
Ian.

OK...gas filter is out.

fishy, do you remember what you searched on to have this unit pop up.

Thanks
Ian.

Sorry Ian it's been quite a while and I don't remember what search did the trick. I did numerous searches before I actually found something that was sized close enough to work and not cost a fortune. I don't have much time tonight but tomorrow eve. when I get on I'll search again and see if I see something and let you know.

Fishy,

Thanks...i have been using different searches w/o any luck..

Ian.

Fishy,

Thanks...i have been using different searches w/o any luck..

Ian.

I tried several searches for just a canister like I bought but didn't find anything but I did find a bunch of oil catch tanks listed pretty cheap. Here's a couple from places with decent feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/oil-reservo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6b2b41e2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Purple-CNC-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a4fb0755&vxp=mtr

There's a ton of them on there cheap but ya gotta weed through the sellers with bad feedback.

why would anyone ever go thru all the trouble to add hoses/filters and clutter up the engine bay when you could just take the valve cover off and spend .89 on a piece of flashing and cut it to fit, bend up the edges in a vice and throw 3- .05 screws in it and never see it?

why would anyone ever go thru all the trouble to add hoses/filters and clutter up the engine bay when you could just take the valve cover off and spend .89 on a piece of flashing and cut it to fit, bend up the edges in a vice and throw 3- .05 screws in it and never see it?

I may be mistaken but I don't think anyone was suggesting he forgo the baffle and use just a catch can. A baffle won't stop every bit of oil. The catch can catches what the baffle lets by, which if the engine has any blow by whatsoever can be a lot. Oil polluting the intake system is pretty detrimental to engine performance. It is very low octane and sure makes a mess of the valves and ports. As for cluttering the engine bay, were not talking a gallon milk jug, just a small aluminum canister. Later I'll post a pic of mine.

I was going to say that the OP has spent more money and time yakkin about it here ,, than the time it would have taken to do it.. ( make and install 2 baffles ) ..lol

-
Back