Need Carb advice for new Big Block build.

-
BG RS 950 up for grabs. This sould work well with TF 240 head and combo

IMG_20230906_171121_284.jpg

IMG_20230906_170431_688.jpg

IMG_20230906_170426_695.jpg

IMG_20230906_170422_311.jpg

IMG_20230906_170414_826.jpg

IMG_20230906_170414_826.jpg

No dominators ?

When you add up the additional height of the 4500 carb (4150 is shorter), raised/extended intake ports and a reversion spacer/nitrous plate/etc. You run out of room under a 6 pack, hemi or 023 scoop. A 6" scoop is no problem depending in the intake/spacers/etc.

For instance, the early 70s DC tunnel ram scoop does not come close to clearing our 511" Indy -13 low deck that has an Indy t-ram (4500) topped with QF 1050-AN carbs using HVH adapters with no filter or velocity stack. You run out of hood/scoop clearance quickly with all of these hotrod parts. I design my jnduction systems with a 14x4" filter minimum with 1.5" drop base max. So far no strange issued with AFR readings which leads me to believe the fuel curve is stable.

Yes that is a trick flow intake. I have a indy low deck 4500 now. Here is the cam specs in the picture.

Screenshot_20230722-191810_Photos.jpg

When you add up the additional height of the 4500 carb (4150 is shorter), raised/extended intake ports and a reversion spacer/nitrous plate/etc. You run out of room under a 6 pack, hemi or 023 scoop. A 6" scoop is no problem depending in the intake/spacers/etc.

For instance, the early 70s DC tunnel ram scoop does not come close to clearing our 511" Indy -13 low deck that has an Indy t-ram (4500) topped with QF 1050-AN carbs using HVH adapters with no filter or velocity stack. You run out of hood/scoop clearance quickly with all of these hotrod parts. I design my jnduction systems with a 14x4" filter minimum with 1.5" drop base max. So far no strange issued with AFR readings which leads me to believe the fuel curve is stable.
Is this set up in one of your chargers or the dart ?
I was going to purchase a scoop from a good member on here and figured I will also be about 1 inch below the top of a super stock scoop.
If I wasn't running 2 inch merge spacers on my tunnel ram I probably could run that scoop but I am leaning towards a early 70s pro-stock scoop to tie into the entire goal of the car.

Is this set up in one of your chargers or the dart ?
I was going to purchase a scoop from a good member on here and figured I will also be about 1 inch below the top of a super stock scoop.
If I wasn't running 2 inch merge spacers on my tunnel ram I probably could run that scoop but I am leaning towards a early 70s pro-stock scoop to tie into the entire goal of the car.

GTS is a low deck with 440 source heads, M1, 1/2" plate, 1.5" drop base 14x4" filter. Scoop is a 6 pack. Thumperized 4150 QF 1050 down leg carb

Red 66 Charger wears a WO23 scoop over the 511" MW victor headed motor with an Indy 4150 low deck intake topped with a Holley 4150 EFI throttle body and 1/2" plate.

Black 66 Charger wears an extended early 70s PS scoop. It is similar being a low deck 499" (4.150 stroke) however it has Indy -13 heads, Indy t-ram and the adapters/carbs listed above. I think you will need to make your scoop taller to run air filters.
Air filters are a good thing out here in the land of lava dust. I tuned a car with no filter and it was suprising how nasty the carb was after a few races.

GTS is a low deck with 440 source heads, M1, 1/2" plate, 1.5" drop base 14x4" filter. Scoop is a 6 pack. Thumperized 4150 QF 1050 down leg carb

Red 66 Charger wears a WO23 scoop over the 511" MW victor headed motor with an Indy 4150 low deck intake topped with a Holley 4150 EFI throttle body and 1/2" plate.

Black 66 Charger wears an extended early 70s PS scoop. It is similar being a low deck 499" (4.150 stroke) however it has Indy -13 heads, Indy t-ram and the adapters/carbs listed above. I think you will need to make your scoop taller to run air filters.
Air filters are a good thing out here in the land of lava dust. I tuned a car with no filter and it was suprising how nasty the carb was after a few races.
Nice × 3 and thanks for the advice.
My blp got pretty nasty from just running on a Dyno so yeah I'm definitely going to figure out and probably make a sealed filter housing.
I'm going to try and remember how to glass parts again this winter and see if I can duplicate a ps hood scoop (taller)

Nice × 3 and thanks for the advice.
My blp got pretty nasty from just running on a Dyno so yeah I'm definitely going to figure out and probably make a sealed filter housing.
I'm going to try and remember how to glass parts again this winter and see if I can duplicate a ps hood scoop (taller)

JB weld....bonds to fiberglass AND metal : D

If you need to take a mold I have a PS scoop kicking around.

I run a 800 Edelbrock AVS on my 499 RB. I wouldn't get to hung up on carb size. An engine pulls what air it wants or can get through whatever size holes you mount on top.

If you want a crisp throttle I would forgo the big carbs for your combination, but everyone finds that out in time.

Tom

not entirely true , I have a 1200 cfm throttle body settng on cleaned up victor intake , and my 505 raps like a sbc...jfyi

-
Back