need cheap and good headers

-

sbmopar318

Reaction score
i know ya get wat ya pay for. i got a 72 scamp 360 need headers cheap ones anybody know any cheap ones that fit good?

I've got a set of Hookers on one of my cars. They hang low on the driver side and have been clearanced in a few spots. all the cheap ones are going to be basically the same. Save up and buy Doug's or TTI's for easier install and fitment.

Summit brand and Hedman are comparibly priced, and fit about the same...last but not least...swap meet.

i did the same with summits headers Cheap and easy with a few hammer dents. too funny i thought it was just my problem. turns out it wasn't

Make sure you look at any fitting charts when you buy. The "cheap" header all have certain issues. Some don't fit power steering, some don't fit manual steering, some don't fit column shifts, etc. They all require some fitting, but make sure the one you settle on is even possible to fit to your car.

That being said, there are no "cheap" and "good" headers.

Yup, Hooker, Hedman or Summit's headers are inexpensive and install very easily with a few hammer blows. Good luck.

Running PAW $99.00 specials. Installed ten years ago with a little massaging, not too bad to install as far as A body headers go. Tubes were heavy gauge so even though they aren't coated they can rust a long, long time before needing replacement. Cleared power steering box, needed some clearancing around the steering linkage(tie rods and idler). Cleared my steering column shift linkage too. Changing starters is challenging with them on though.

I just installed my Hookers. I didn't even have to take a hammer to them. Slipped in, and I have power steering, floor shift. The issue for me was getting the bolts in. I had to dremel a good 1/8" from different sides of different holes so I could get the bolts to slip in easily. I did it on a stand, and it worked wonders. Wouldn't have wanted to dremel while the engine was on a hoist in front of the car.

Hey:

I also installed the hookers without having to dimple the tubes.

I've got a set of Hooker Comp headers sitting here that have never been run. Fitted them up, then decided to go coated, so other than a few scratches, they are just like new.

Where are you in Illinois? I'm in Champaign, and I'll make a sweet deal on them.

My Hookers fit sweetly as well. No issues. Great fit. Though I hate the 3 tube under the linkage deal.

Is there anything wrong with Headman?

nope...theres headers, and then theres ripoff headers i.e. TTI...dont care how great they fit, i could never justify paying that much for headers especially when theres ones out there that are ALOT cheaper and with a little time and patience fit fine

04-16-2009, 08:08 PM #7
sbmopar318 so whats wrong with the flowtech's ? I have manual steering
I have flowtechs. The finish is nice but the fit is poor !:angry7:
Had to dent tubes to clear torsion bars , and the flanges have an inconsistant shape around the ports = hard to get them to seal up properly.

nope...theres headers, and then theres ripoff headers i.e. TTI...dont care how great they fit, i could never justify paying that much for headers especially when theres ones out there that are ALOT cheaper and with a little time and patience fit fine

i have hookers that are wrapped and its a ***** to change the spark plugs and my car sets kinda low so ofcourse they drag on everything where as my friend has a set of TTI headers on his dart and they fit like a dream never drag no trouble changing plugs i dont mind spending two or three hundred more dollars on a problem solver these hookers were 400 and i have just ruined them from draging so much and the flanges are thin so they have leaked from day one i can preach it day after day you get what you pay for

i have hookers that are wrapped and its a ***** to change the spark plugs and my car sets kinda low so ofcourse they drag on everything where as my friend has a set of TTI headers on his dart and they fit like a dream never drag no trouble changing plugs i dont mind spending two or three hundred more dollars on a problem solver these hookers were 400 and i have just ruined them from draging so much and the flanges are thin so they have leaked from day one i can preach it day after day you get what you pay for

I disagree with you there and i'll leave it at that...i dont want to get off topic from the original op's question...

sorry didnt mean to rub you the wong way just discussing the ups and downs of all options

hey man you didnt no worries lol...its just a debate thats probably happened here before that i dont want to get into...i think the whole cheap header questoin has been asked a million times here (maybe even by me once too lol) and everytime it starts a debate, so i just thought id let it stay dead this time around 8)

you guys r right cheap and good is impossible but i ended up with cheap good enough ones

Hey Lwguy -- Dusterdowns Here I Live Near Mt. Vernon Il. And Have A 1970 340 4 Sp Duster. Will Your Headers Fit My Car? It Has Power Steering. If So Can We Talk More And Possibly Set Up A Trade For A 833 4 Speed. Or Quote Me A Price. If So Send Me A Contact... Steve

-
Back