Need dial-back timing light

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I've been looking for a dial-back type timing light, but all I've been able to find for a reasonable price are Chinois pieces of junque.

Can anybody please point me to a dial-back light of good quality that gives "bang for the buck"? Thanks a lot.

I've been looking for a dial-back type timing light, but all I've been able to find for a reasonable price are Chinois pieces of junque.

Can anybody please point me to a dial-back light of good quality that gives "bang for the buck"? Thanks a lot.

Bill, why not just mark your balancer and let the engine be your dial back? It's MUCH, MUCH more accurate......unless you buy a high end digital computerized light.

Here. Read this. It's REAL easy. Then, all you'll need is a standard, non dial back light which will be way mire accurate......and cheap!

How to - Hillbilly Timing Tape

Like RRR said most dial backs are off for sure I wont touch them.

IIRC all dial backs are Chinese. Someone post up a USA dial back...?

This one is nice but $$$

336-5568.jpg

I got a cheap *** HF dial back. Seems to work and is disposable at the price I paid. I tested it against an old basic Sears and it was the same readings up to 3000

Yes dial backs can be inaccurate. A degree or two at 3000 rpm can be trouble. As far as I know the digital advance are much more accurate but yes they are more expensive. You get what you pay for. Most are made in China nowdays anyway.

I've got a nearly 20 year old Craftsman and my son has a less than ten year old digital. Both read pretty similar. I'll know more when I get the car I'm working back together as I've had trouble with timing due to too much cam and two slightly bent exhaust valves. Yes, it's time to bring the manufacturing back here, but in the meantime...also, if you want really accurate info on the distributor curve you have to put the distributor on a machine...

Bill, why not just mark your balancer and let the engine be your dial back? It's MUCH, MUCH more accurate......unless you buy a high end digital computerized light.

Here. Read this. It's REAL easy. Then, all you'll need is a standard, non dial back light which will be way mire accurate......and cheap!

How to - Hillbilly Timing Tape

Thanks for the tip, Rusty! That's what I'll do instead. Also, thanks for all the other replies.

I agree avoid dial-up lamps. Years ago I accidently ran into two or three that were "off." Also, Google it up, MSD has a big problem with some timing lights if you decide to go that road.

I cannot agree more. Were I still doin this stuff hot and heavy like I was in the 80s and 90s, I would get a new Snap On. They are just flat out nice. But man, you sure pay for that nice.

-
Back