Need help and info to help out my autistic son with his project

-

autistic baracuda

Autistic son josh
Reaction score
Autistic kid building a 66 cuda with a 440 my son needs help and has been told this can't be done and that we can't even get headers for it the motor is almost complete and it's a monster and he built it himself it's beautiful and will make lots of power but the issue is now getting it in that car everyone says it's no way I want to see my son's dream come true the car is in rough shape but he bought it and now wants to follow his dream

Last edited by a moderator:
i think youll have to go fenderwell headers from what ive seen before on big block early a bodys, maybe contact abodyjoe, i believe ive seen him post about having a big block early a before, he would know everything you need to do

Use the search function here on,FABO. Quite a few have done the swap.

I have a Mopar acquaintance here locally that has a 68 with a 440 and his has fenderwell headers with no room to do it any other way.

Welcome to the site.

Early As (66' and prior) with an RB, most people have a set of custom headers built or build them themselves. If you can find a used pair of Proparts, they will get you close, but will still need to be modified to work in an early A. I wish I had better news for you as I've always had a warm place in my heart for autistic kids, but there is really no good option for big block headers in an early A.

Looking at the link for my build won't help either as I never completed the headers and moved onto other tasks. I would suggest getting with racers in your area to find shops in your local area that will make custom headers. Unfortunately, they will be expensive. If I remember correctly, the last person I talked to said they had theirs made for $1500 and that's been a few years ago. Good luck.

For some reason, I can't figure out how to quote anymore with the new updates.

TrailBeast,

68' is a totally different story as early As are narrower between frame rails. Headers will not work between the two different body styles without modification.

There are a couple of other options you may or may not have thought of. First you can go with tubular K-frame and coil over front suspension. This would eliminate the torsion bars which will help tremendously with header room. Second is to use a straight axle front suspension set up which will really open up the header possibilities.
I have a friend of mind who did something similar with a 65 Falcon with a 427 FE engine. He went with the straight axle and the headers were simple.

TrailBeast,

68' is a totally different story as early As are narrower between frame rails. Headers will not work between the two different body styles without modification.
Just use "reply".

straight up - nothing is impossible if you have the time, patience and $$ to do it... tell the nay sayers to piss off and build that car!

It might not be easy, but it can be done. I'm pretty sure that B-Body HP exhaust manifolds will fit in an early a-body. The only header options are to get some custom made, or find someone selling a set that was custom made.

Not easy.... But can be done.... As an old friend from many years ago did to this early Valiant with a 440 (pictured)...⚓
heatwave.jpg

Last edited:
There are some pics here of a 69 with their headers in.
Customer Photos

Not to offend, but as I posted earlier, later As and early As are two totally different stories when it comes to headers. And unless Schumacher added a new product that nobody is aware of, they do not carry big block headers for early As.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that B-Body HP exhaust manifolds will fit in an early a-body.

I haven't seen that. I have seen max wedge manifolds used before successfully, but that's it. If you have some pictures or info, please share as a good set of max wedge manifolds are almost as expensive as custom headers; HPs are a little more obtainable. I plan to continue with building custom headers, but if you could provide that info, it could be helpful to other members.

Last edited:

You can click "reply" or "quote" at the bottom of the post box. OR, you can highlight just a portion of the post and when you release the left mouse button, there will be an option to either quote or reply to just that which you highlighted.

Hope it makes sense.

You can click "reply" or "quote" at the bottom of the post box. OR, you can highlight just a portion of the post and when you release the left mouse button, there will be an option to either quote or reply to just that which you highlighted.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks.

I haven't seen that. I have seen max wedge manifolds used before successfully, but that's it. If you have some pictures or info, please share as a good set of max wedge manifolds are almost as expensive as custom headers; HPs are a little more obtainable. I plan to continue with building custom headers, but if you could provide that info, it could be helpful to other members.
They might only work in 67 & later a-bodies...I don't remember, but here's a thread with some ideas.
440 HP manifolds vs. headers

I have been told that the Schumacher Tri-Y's will drop into an early A-bdy big block car. But I don't have proof of that.
Another, and very inexpensive option (people will give you a set for free and although not great for exhaust flow) is to use a set of earlier big block "log type" exhaust manifolds, and if necessary, have them AND the spot faced mounting nut flats angle milled to bring the rear dumps in closer to the block. They should fit inside the stock '63-66 factory inner fender sheet metal. These were the "common" manifolds on the big block B-bdy and C-bdy cars into at least 1966.
Hope it helps... YMMV
Mike in FL

People saying "it can't be done" are just lazy. Just use Hi-po manifolds, a 3 lb clearance hammer and some solid mounts. I put a 400 block in my 65 and it looked like it was made for it with manifolds. Headers are Pro-parts on the driver side, passenger side is almost a drop in for generic B/RB headers. Your steering column will need to be trimmed to the wall and the shaft may need to be machined down .060 where it passes the manifold or hit the manifold with a grinder. Good luck, they fit, its the exhaust that hurts. I also spaced my K-member off the front clip with 3/4 nuts to give me some more room in the trans tunnel.

Please can u help me with info I have an autistic son who is building a pretty wild 440 and wants to put it in a 66 barracuda I see u put a big block in urs what motor mounts did u use and and what did u do for headers and radiator and what to do about throttle linkage and there's so many more questions we have please call me or text thank u so much

Last edited by a moderator:
400/451 in a 65 A...These pro-parts headers fit better on a 440 as they are higher on the inner fenderwell and go over the inners better. Still need to expand the tunnel for the 727. Yoou can run J-bars from the firewall to the lower radiator support as Mike did and you can cut the inners out for super header clearance. Angel wing headers like Hedman Husslers fit with little mods. Road Runner Hi-po logs fit, great option for a little warmed over 440 too.
h0UGlNr7RgeWMRwMFvvIRyGyEd1LYKpxVeOFauEYLIWlXT8dNvlXxSagc63VEjqfT1PyHbkGFHlz9A=w1440-h900-rw-no

-
Back