Need help, Dart won't start...

-
No, on the car. Timing is not set yet. I'll take that as a yes since it can be done outside of the car.

Well then I would not remove it. Do it in the car. Just jumper power the coil, jumper the relay, and see what you have. You are running out of things to check

Coil.......distributor primary wire.....points......condenser

Once you for sure get power to the coil, and verify that the points are switching current that is opening./ closing, if you don't have spark then it's either condenser or coil

This is what you said earlier which makes no sense. If the dist is in the engine, then no, you cannot rotate it. If it's out of the engine, then you must ground the dist. case

"With the key in run can I rotate the distributor by hand to open and close the points and have a spark plug grounded to verify spark?"

Just my luck, finished putting the wires on and we have a thunderstorm come in! I guess that's Texas weather for you. I'll try again tomorrow.

It lives! Thanks for all the help! Had to stop after about 10 minutes because the temp got up to 230. I know my timing needs adjusting (had it at 10* adv), and carburetor needs tuning as well, but the cam needs breaking in so those will need to wait until I can run another 20 minutes at 20 rpm. Thinking of bumping the timing up to 12* or so and see if it makes the engine happier. Anyways, here's a video for your viewing pleasure!

At higher RPM you need WAY more than 12. In fact you could set idle probably as much as 15-20 for break in. Keep the RPM up with cam break in.

-
Back