Need help selecting master cylinder

-

Mean416

Reaction score
Hey y'all. So previous owner converted the car to 4 wheel discs. Great stuff. Problem is they did this with a power booster, and combined with a pretty nasty cam. She's got maybe 6" vacuum at idle. So power brakes ain't gonna work.

A little searching around suggests a 15/16" bore mc might work as a manual brake setup. Thoughts?

This is the mc I'm thinking about.

Dorman M80266 Dorman Brake Master Cylinders | Summit Racing

That’s the one I would go with. More pedal travel but less effort.

5atk5i.jpg

Mopar Aluminum Master Cylinder Kit

You will have to remove the seat from the smaller "front" cylinder outlet and then remove the residual pressure valve. ( Used in manual brake applications) and put the seat back in.

Other than that your good to go.

Manual brakes work fine it will take a day or two to get used to them.

I have Wilwood manual disc brakes on all 4 corners of my race car & I can tell you they really work well. One of the 1/8th mile tracks I go to has a "VERY" short shut down area with 3 turn outs. I can get my car down to a safe speed to make the 2nd turn out, running 6.60's. My next build is going to build a 5.80 engine & hopefully the brakes will serve me well.

Hey y'all. So previous owner converted the car to 4 wheel discs. Great stuff. Problem is they did this with a power booster, and combined with a pretty nasty cam. She's got maybe 6" vacuum at idle. So power brakes ain't gonna work.

A little searching around suggests a 15/16" bore mc might work as a manual brake setup. Thoughts?

This is the mc I'm thinking about.

Dorman M80266 Dorman Brake Master Cylinders | Summit Racing

I have a 15/16'' master cyl on mine , wish I`d gone w/ a 7/8'' , stops good , but wont lock up at all.
Doesn`t have any abnormal travel at all !

My vote is the 15/16" piston master. That is what I run and it gives great modulation with the foot pedal. Not like stomping on the concrete with a boot. Your vehicle, your call.

-
Back