NEED HELP SLANT 6 T0 318 DUSTER EXHAUST MANIFOLD

-

70DUSTER/74SCAMP

Sold the scamp ....still got the duster tho
Reaction score
HERE IS THE STORY.....70 DUSTER SLANT SIX CAR SWAPPED TO MID 70S SMALL BLOCK 318. I DIDNT CHANGE K MEMBER JUST TRANS DAPT MOUNTS. 904 TRANS. POWER STEERING POWER BRAKE CAR....I AM TRYING TO FIND A MANIFOLD SET THAT WILL WORK. THE PASSENGER SIDE ISNT TO BAD BUT DRIVER SIDE IS TIGHT FITTING . HEADERS ARE NOT EVEN AN OPTION AT THIS POINT. IVE TRIED A FEW. TRYING TO FIND SPECIFFICALLY A MANIFOLD THAT DUMPS OUT THE REAR OF THE DRIVER SIDE HEAD SOMETHING I CAN GET AROUND THE STARTER AND STEERING SHAFT. AT THE BOTTOM THE TORSION BAR KIND OF COULD BE AN ISSUE . IM A AT A LOSS AND SO CLOSE TO STARTING THIS NEW ENGINE UP BUT NEED AT LEAST MANIFOLDS SO MY EXHAUST GUY CAN DO THE REST . HERE ARE SOME PICS OF MY ISSUES. HOPING FOR SOME HELP OR INPUT .

exhaustone.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

exhaust3.jpg

exhaust4.jpg

Any reason not to use OEM stock cast iron manifolds

Last edited:
Come on up to Rockford, Illinois and I will give you a proper pair that WILL fit...

Most of us 67-up A-body guys, run headers, but on the proper K-members; and interference is minimal. I cannot say about adapter mounts, which I have never used, nor ever will.
>I have a 68 Barracuda, in the which, the underhood is identical to yours. On the 1970 Duster K that is in it, my 367 accepted TTI headers with just minor fudging. I too have power steering/power brakes/and the short oil filter straight to the block, with no adapter. AND with an A833 4-speed, so all that clutch pedal junk is in there.
But, I did have to block up the car and slide the T-bars back, which was no big deal.
Another time, I put the headers in before the engine came down, and the T-bars in-situ.
Another time, I put the engine on the K with the headers attached, and shoved it in from the bottom. This took more time, but at least it didn't scratch the paint. That engine was swapped in/out 5 or maybe 6 times before my son "commandeered" it, lol.
>For a retro-fit with the engine already in there, I had to free the engine, hang it on a sky-hook and move it over to the passenger side a wee-bit, then slide the drivers side in and hang it floppy-like; then slide the engine back and and install the passenger side; then drop and secure the engine. And then finally, install the gaskets and bolts.
>If you have cheap-er headers that have one tube going under the steering and no slip-fit #7 tube, then you will have to drop the centerlink, which takes about 5 minutes, no big deal. With this type of header, the slanty T-bars and shocks should be ditched, as if you don't, this may lead very quickly to a smooshed #7 tube. I highly recommend the thickest T-bars you can get including up to the 1.03s. If you have 383/340 bars, (.892 IIRC) you can use those with HD shocks.
>do not be afraid to use a header with a slipfit tube. The slip will soot up right quickly and then it is sealed. The only way to get it apart is to soak it in penetrant.
> do not think a stock 318 will not benefit from headers and dual exhaust. Back-pressure will kill both power and economy. Your goal is to reduce it as close to Zero as is possible without breaking the bank to get it done.
===============
I once ran a stock long-block 8/1 smoggerteen 4bbl, with nothing more than TTI headers and a 3" full-length dual exhaust, which was WAY overkill; but she was a pretty good ripper, and was real easy on gas. I married that engine, to an A904, a wide-ratio A998, a 4-speed, and an A833overdrive, and finally with a Commando 4-speed with a GVod behind it; and with various gears from 2.76s to 4.30s, always with a SureGrip. When it had an automatic, it also had a 2800 stall TC. I loved that thing; and,I really loved that winter-motor. And so did my son who finally made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.
If you have never run a 2800, it takes a bit of getting used to, but after that you will find you can do fun-things with it. I would never go back to a stock TC. Mine is a Trac-Action from circa 1980.
Note to self; a 4-speed in winter, in snow, and no studded winter tires..... is a bad idea. That only took one trip to town, to remedy; and the reverse lock-out shifter got swapped out real quick.

stockmanifold.jpg

THIS IS CURRENTLY WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH THAT CAME WITH THE ENGINE, I KNOW MOST OF YOU PROBLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT WONT WORK FOR ME. THE PASSENGER MANIFOLD WITHT HE HEAT RISER THING WORKS FINE I HAVE ROOM TO HAVE MY EXHAUST GUY RUN A PIPE TO. THE ISSUE IS THE DIRVER SIDE MANIFOLD THE WAY IT MAKES THAT BEND , EVEN THO SLIIGHT MAKES IT AN ISSUE, I NEED ENOUGH SPACE AT THE BOTTOM FOR A PIPE TO BE BENT TO RUN BACK TOWARDS THE REAR. IF I COULD FIND A MANIFOLD OR A SHORT HEADER SET UP THAT HAD MORE OF A REAR TYPE DISCHARGE FLANGE VS BOTTOM I WOULD BE GOOD TO GO. hemissdart do u ship lol ? what do u have ur inbox is full. AND EVERYONE ELSE THANK YOU SO FAR FOR THE ADVICE. LIKE I SAID I KNOW IT LOOKS LIKE THAT MANIFOLD WILL WORK BUT U SEE HOW MUCH SPACE I HAVE TO WORK WITH . THANKS AGAIN GUYS

Last edited:
View attachment 1715910118

THIS IS CURRENTLY WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH THAT CAME WITH THE ENGINE, I KNOW MOST OF YOU PROBLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT WONT WORK FOR ME. THE PASSENGER MANIFOLD WITHT HE HEAT RISER THING WORKS FINE I HAVE ROOM TO HAVE MY EXHAUST GUY RUN A PIPE TO. THE ISSUE IS THE DIRVER SIDE MANIFOLD THE WAY IT MAKES THAT BEND , EVEN THO SLIIGHT MAKES IT AN ISSUE, I NEED ENOUGH SPACE AT THE BOTTOM FOR A PIPE TO BE BENT TO RUN BACK TOWARDS THE REAR. IF I COULD FIND A MANIFOLD OR A SHORT HEADER SET UP THAT HAD MORE OF A REAR TYPE DISCHARGE FLANGE VS BOTTOM I WOULD BE GOOD TO GO. hemissdart do u ship lol ? what do u have ur inbox is full. AND EVERYONE ELSE THANK YOU SO FAR FOR THE ADVICE. LIKE I SAID I KNOW IT LOOKS LIKE THAT MANIFOLD WILL WORK BUT U SEE HOW MUCH SPACE I HAVE TO WORK WITH . THANKS AGAIN GUYS
Those are the correct manifolds. That is what the factory used on A bodies. Those are the same clearances that we all have.
I don't mean to sound like an ***, but I think the issue is with your exhaust guy; not with the car or the fact that you have a slant 6 K frame. Time to take it to another place, or if you don't have that option, order a set of pre-bent pipes, from TTI, Waldron's, or Accurate; among others.
For example:
Exhaust_Parts (ttiexhaust.com)

Yeah, I get why your exhaust guy is complaining, cause this is the factory solution. Yes, this one is crushed a bit more than some I've seen, but I've seen a few and they've all been pretty beat up. Even on cars that weren't.
IMG_5059.jpeg

And people complain about header fit!!!

Last edited:
Like said

But I agree, that is a goofy reverse curl.
Even the 340 manifolds are like that ..... I just checked

seems on an a body like mine there would be no need for this goofy reverse curl.. i may just re paint these put them back on and roll the dice on exhaust guys. just dont want to have to do musical trailering to diff shops . dont want to drive it with open manifolds. just need to shop around see what i can come up with. thanks for the input

Last edited:
View attachment 1715910118

It looks like may be the wrong drivers exhaust manifold. Looks like it's a early 70's manifold from a E body. Start a wanted thread and ask for the correct manifolds for your car with a 318. What number is cast on the manifold? We can look it up and find out what it fits.

1970 340 E body used A body e-manifolds so that should not be an issue. 71 B/E were different.

I checked the Govier Bible and the casting number came up correct for OPs car.
I've heard it said that TTI makes headpipes for those
I think they do. Thanks for checking that number. I have the books out but have been busy this morning putting out fires. LOL

how many inches from the passenger side valve cover to the firewall ?

and keep in mind there is a bit of adjustment left to right in the engine mounts
you want to start out centered and move the engine where you need it

What will you use for a heat shield/gasket for the driver's side manifold? Any gasket that you use has to be for a 273/318, not 340 or 360. Just went through this same thing with my '72 318, 340 stuff will seal the top and sides, but will leave the bottom open. That heat shield/gasket is almost impossible to find. Post #13 for your header pipes.
Good luck.

What will you use for a heat shield/gasket for the driver's side manifold? Any gasket that you use has to be for a 273/318, not 340 or 360. Just went through this same thing with my '72 318, 340 stuff will seal the top and sides, but will leave the bottom open. That heat shield/gasket is almost impossible to find. Post #13 for your header pipes.
Good luck.
Easy-peasy.
Small Block Header Gaskets (manciniracing.com)
Or don't use gaskets. The factory didn't, except for the A/E body heat shield you mentioned.
But if you gotta have it: Exhaust Manifold Gasket W/Heat Shield# 2465845 - LH - A - Body - 1964-68 - NOS - SHIPS FREE TO LOWER 48 - Blue Star Performance

-
Back