Need help with a fitting on a Holley 2 Bbl carb, please.

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Working on my good friend's Australian '71 Valiant VG (think '69 Dart for the body), with a 318, 904, and a Holley 2 Bbl carb, and I'm down to the final punch list. I think....

Bazza (the owner) would like to keep the car as OEM as possible, so with respect to that, what is supposed to connect to the nipple fitting coming off the top of this carb? Looks like a bowl vent to me, but still- where does it go?
IMG_4835.JPG

I've looked through the Aussie Shop manual (nada), the carb kit (ditto), and all of the pictures Bazza has from Day One on this car, and I still can't find what this is supposed to connect up to.

And I'd rather not leave it open and just slap the air filter on top of this and call 'er good.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Jim

It vents the float bowl to the charcoal canister. I am unsure if that carburetor has a float bowl vent "anywhere else", but if it does, yall can put a cap over that nipple and just block it off. It will need to be left open otherwise.

It vents the float bowl to the charcoal canister. I am unsure if that carburetor has a float bowl vent "anywhere else"
No charcoal canister on this car, but I think it may have been deleted when car was repainted back in the late 80's/early 90's (forget what Bazza told me), as I found all sorts of wire "bristles" (evidence of hole-plugging?) on the underside of the inner fenders when I was putting the front suspension back in.

Then again, the gas tank only has the one fitting, and no vent connection (nipple). Hmmm...

You kinda lost me here, though:
yall can put a cap over that nipple and just block it off. It will need to be left open otherwise.
Seems like a contradiction to me. I may be a little daft (long damn day), so should I cap it, or leave it open?

Thanks!

No charcoal canister on this car, but I think it may have been deleted when car was repainted back in the late 80's/early 90's (forget what Bazza told me), as I found all sorts of wire "bristles" (evidence of hole-plugging?) on the underside of the inner fenders when I was putting the front suspension back in.

Then again, the gas tank only has the one fitting, and no vent connection (nipple). Hmmm...

You kinda lost me here, though:

Seems like a contradiction to me. I may be a little daft (long damn day), so should I cap it, or leave it open?

Thanks!
No, what I am saying is IF the carburetor has a bowl vent "somewhere else" besides that nipple, you can cap the nipple off.

Ah, got it! :thumbsup:

Like I said, long damn day, and I guess my brain ain't working right.

Thanks! I'll dig into it tomorrow night after work.

Jim
Mine never works right. I feel your pain.

On American ‘71 ChryCo cars, carb bowl vent went to a three nipple breather on the passenger side valve cover.

I think capping that tube would cause an "Inbalance", and could cause a problem, if I remeber my 50 yr old lessons on carbs .
The only other vent may be inside the air cleaner, (low pressure) iirc.
If you cap it, - poke a hole in it,
jmo

On American ‘71 ChryCo cars, carb bowl vent went to a three nipple breather on the passenger side valve cover.
That would make sense, based on the angle of this fitting, as I think the US cars had a front-mounted (?) "opening" in the valve cover.

Don't know if I can make that work on this car though, as the only fitting on the valve cover on that side of the car is the PVC, and it's about 2/3 the way towards the back. Picture I have from when Bazza was starting to tear-out the engine, before he got sick:
$RFD6RLE.jpg

I don't think the carb is original to the car, as there's an aftermarket rebuilders tag on it, so that could have something to do with this as well.

Thanks!

Jim

I think capping that tube would cause an "Inbalance", and could cause a problem, if I remeber my 50 yr old lessons on carbs .
The only other vent may be inside the air cleaner, (low pressure) iirc.
If you cap it, - poke a hole in it,
jmo
Yup. I'm pretty sure this is what RRR was trying to tell me last night with his response, when my brain wasn't engaged properly.

(Hmmm: Brain synchros not functioning for me? Possibly!)

THIS. I don't believe there were any valves, etc, just an open breather with extra nipples. Big one to air filter, (for pvc), one went to the carb bowl, I don't remember the other one Go to MyMopar.com and download the 70-71-72 service manuals and read the carb/ fuel sections and the emissions chapter in the back

That stuff changed every year, may have changed in some mid years and was a little different as things went along

I haven't seen a lot of Holleys on cars over here, usually Carters. My '78 Dodge van had a stage ll truck engine, which was a truck Holley 2-barrel on an LA 360, Leaded gas. Sorry, can not remember where that vent went, but it definitely didn't go to a valve cover breather, not in my application anyway.
Having said that, truck stuff is usually different, the air horn is larger also.

Last edited:
Yup. I'm pretty sure this is what RRR was trying to tell me last night with his response, when my brain wasn't engaged properly.

(Hmmm: Brain synchros not functioning for me? Possibly!)
Yep, that’s a bowl vent alright.
To make things look complete I would run a vacuum hose off that along the valve cover to the back of the motor and leave it at that.
Best looking simplest solution I think.

-
Back