Need help with caster #,s 66 Dart!!!

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Today I took the 66 Dart in for safety and alignment.They set my caster and camber from specs. from another shops mechanic.I read somewhere caster is plus 4.Is this correct any help is appreaciated.Here,s a printout..

Alignment 66 Dart.jpg

Original caster specs do not work well with modern tires, etc. You want the most positive caster you can get with a slight negative camber and around 1/16 toe-in. It's usually hard to get more than about two degrees positive caster with stock stuff, though.

Today I took the 66 Dart in for safety and alignment.They set my caster and camber from specs. from another shops mechanic.I read somewhere caster is plus 4.Is this correct any help is appreaciated.Here,s a printout..

Hello pettyblu, For regular use...not road racing, I would decrease the camber to about 1/4 neg, no more than 1/2 neg or so. This should allow the caster to be increased into the positive range of between 1 and 2 degrees.

This of course is very dependant on the location of the alignment cams now. Caster and camber adjustments are relative to each other on your Dart. And.........each individual vehicle is different. You can't set each one exactly the same way.

Somebody also makes the cams/bolts, that will give you more; can't remember, maybe mancini? google upper control arm cams? eccentrics? shafts?

What does safety and alignment mean? Is that part of a Canadian auto inspection? I have done my own alignments for the last 20 yrs. All you need is a good tape measurer and tri-anguliner bubble style gauge.

My Duster is around 2 postive on the caster and 1/4-1/2 negative camber. Toe is also around 1/16"

Jim Lusk, you are right on the money, sounds like you set up your own stuff too:thumbrig:

Yep, do my own alignments since the shops can't even get the late model stuff right. Spent some time with my older son autocrossing his 67 fastback 383/4sp and got tired of it never being quite right on the track or on the street.

What does safety and alignment mean? Is that part of a Canadian auto inspection? I have done my own alignments for the last 20 yrs. All you need is a good tape measurer and tri-anguliner bubble style gauge.

My Duster is around 2 postive on the caster and 1/4-1/2 negative camber. Toe is also around 1/16"

Jim Lusk, you are right on the money, sounds like you set up your own stuff too:thumbrig:
Yes it,s Canadian term for vehichle inspection,passed no problem.Has all new exhaust from PO,also just did conv, to disc. new 8 3/4 all new brakes,no holes,all lights work and everything else!I,m not sure a 66 Dart and a Demon are the same caster,camber.What,s a tri-angular bubble style gauge??I did front end alignment,s on Fords at the plant in Oakville.Windstar,s and also F-150 trucks when I worked at the truck plant for a couple years.In total 17 years of alignment doing up to 200 a day and really don,t want to touch tie-rods ever again.3 herniated discs all lower lumbar from years working overhead!YUK!!!:stop:

To get the true reading, you need to be in the car. If you get in the car after you set the specs, you will see them change(while your still on the machine). The drivers side will always have a point or 2 more caster due to road crown. .1 positive camber wothout you in the car might relate to .1 negative after you get in it.

That change depends on how stiff your torsion bars are. I doubt there's much change when my 160lb son sits in his Barracuda with 1.14" bars.....

Thanks Guys,I,m not second guessing anyone.I would just like more opinions on this subject from 65-66 Dart,Cuda owners.

That change depends on how stiff your torsion bars are. I doubt there's much change when my 160lb son sits in his Barracuda with 1.14" bars.....

Good point on the T-bars.

Thanks Guys,I,m not second guessing anyone.I would just like more opinions on this subject from 65-66 Dart,Cuda owners.

FYI, 63-76 pretty much will all be the same.

I,m taking the 66 Dart back to the alignment shop tomorrow,is there anything anybody wants to add to my findings before I bring it back?Thanks for everybody,s input on this delicate matter!LOL!!

I'm not running an early A body. But, here's what I've done with my Duster. Using MagnumForce uppers, I was able to get 5.5 degrees positive caster and 1/2 degree neg. camber. It handles awesome and feels very stable. When in the midst of a turn I can let the wheel go and it returns to center (quickly). This on center feel is great for when the back of the car steps out, it makes it easier to gather control again. Only one problem with this much caster, it is a bit of a bear in the parking lot with manual steering. Arrrgggh!

With the stock uppers go with 1/2 degree neg. camber and as much positive caster as possible.

IMO, neg. caster will make the car twitchy at speed.

I,m taking the 66 Dart back to the alignment shop tomorrow,is there anything anybody wants to add to my findings before I bring it back?Thanks for everybody,s input on this delicate matter!LOL!!

Make sure they provide you with a print out and if you can post it here......Dave

-
Back