Need help with drum brakes on my 8-3/4

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Well here i am with a set of drum brake backing plates and a bunch of springs, plates, shoes etc.

I went with the BBP so these are probably off of a B body or something.

Anyone have a diagram or a how-to on how this is supposed to go together?

A good pic of one assembled would be a lot of help also.

Thanks!

Steve

brakes.jpg

Tiny little details that make a big difference... Check for grooves worn into the baking plates where the shoes touch. Should be flat and thats about the only place where a dab of grease would be applied.
On the cable guides make sure the neck that goes into the hole is good and that return spring goes on first holding the guide flush against the shoe. The adjusters are left and right hand spacific. When correct the adjusting paw will turn the star wheel from bottom up to extend the screw. Many times the previous worker would loose or leave out the thrust washer on the threadless end of the adjuster. It needs to be there to prevent binding. I've seen cases where the paw had worn points of the star wheel becausethat thrust washer was MIA. Inside that threadless end is the other spot a dab of grease is allowed. Dont grease the adjusters threaded end.

don't mean to steal a thread but its kind of relevant to me too.

I was detailing the duster and notice my rear drum has a hole (1/4 inch?) in the face (no anywhere near the pads) Almost like something drilled it?

So I think I'll change the drums in the back...

Question?
When I change the drums and the pads look good (just replaced last year, hopefully still good!) can I just adjust the adjuster screw assembly and be done?

Nice photo abodyjoe!

Aloha!

don't mean to steal a thread but its kind of relevant to me too.

I was detailing the duster and notice my rear drum has a hole (1/4 inch?) in the face (no anywhere near the pads) Almost like something drilled it?

So I think I'll change the drums in the back...

Question?
When I change the drums and the pads look good (just replaced last year, hopefully still good!) can I just adjust the adjuster screw assembly and be done?

Nice photo abodyjoe!

Aloha!
If you're replacing the drums due to a little extra hole only well... its your money. To answer your question. Screw the adjusters down or in and assist the upper return springs in colapsing the wheel cylinder if needed. Scuff to deglaze the pad surface with the coarsest sandpaper you can find. I like to sand a slight radius into the outer edge of the linnings too.Just so it dont contact the bottom of the drum in the next step. Install the drums and adjustout until slight resistance is heard/felt. Happy moparing

Redfish, Sounds like its really not an issue then. I guess I have vented drums? HA! If its no big deal... I guess I can leave it. Thanks for the superfast reply. I'll refer to your help once/if I change them.
Aloha!
PS still haven't installed your VR yet. Still restoring the gauges.ill let you know though.

-
Back