need help with front end

-

jvaliant

Reaction score
i have a 71 valiant scamp it has had a real bad angle at the top of the front tire angled in towards the car we just replaced the ball joint and that helped a little but its is still angled when the wheel is turned and when pressing the front shock down it feels like the shock is froze up it doesnt move until the wheel is turned either direction does this any suggestions on what to check or do next? thanks

Pictures would help. Are you saying that when the car has the front wheel pointed straight ahead that the top of the tire is angled in sharply? Or is it only when turning? Do they both angle in at the top when pointing straight ahead?
When turning to the left, the tires will lean to the left. When turning right, they will lean to the right. Just a question of how bad they lean...
How are your upper control arm bushings?

As for the shock, I've no clue. It wouldn't be hard to take one out and see if it is bad though. They aren't that expensive, why not change them out?
C

JV I'm not trying to be mean, here. But to take one of these old girls and pick a specific part like a ball joint -- as if there's only one problem, "is not the way."

The PROBABILITY is that just about all the ball joints and bushings in the front end are worn out, sometimes "more than" worn out.

But as above, you can NOT judge this problem with the wheels turned.

You could have a BIG combination of troubles. Might have something actually bent, like the top A arm or it's mountings from some impact. The top bushings may be completely wasted, and wear in the bottom arm end of things won't help, either.

And to make matters worse, sometimes the lower pivot or control arm itself develops cracks and breaks which allow it to shift.

You can replace everything in the front end with basic tools, make ones you need, or buy import tools on ebay.

If you decide to do this, we can do some searching for old threads on here.

DO YOU HAVE a shop manual?

No worries...im trying to learn as i go..since the ball joints were replaced it did straighten the tire out more but its still angles when its turnednot as bad tho and its angled in at the top...yeah your right I'm pretty sure all the bushings are wore out so we'll see what happens when their replaced! I was just wondering if UT might be the torsion bar? thanks again!

-
Back