Need help with lower door hinges

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Im working on a 66 Dart 2 door. I bought pin and bushing kits for all 4 hinges. Each kit comes with 2 pins and 4 bushings. The top hinge is easy as the hinges have bushings already in them so you drive them out and install the new bushings and your done since the outside of the hinge doesnt wear. Now the lower ones are different. First they didnt have bushings from original. Second the inner half of the hinge has some wear so the pin is sloppy and lastly the bushing that comes with the kit have no install instructions. Im not sure how the bushing should be installed. I know I will need to drill the inner half of the hinge so the bushing can be installed. Which direction do the bushings get put in from and what is the best way to drill the hinge so its done straight. Does anyone have pics on what the hinge will look like once this is done and what steps do I need to take to get this right?
Here are a few pics of what I have. The new pins and bushings are just sitting in there so they dont get lost. They are not together as a final part!
IMAG0857.jpg
IMAG0854.jpg
IMAG0856.jpg

Thanks Rod

If the holes are oblonged beyond where they will hold the bushing tightly, you'll need to weld and redrill the holes.
I have good, tight originals for $25 each if yours need more work than you want to do.

IIRC - the bushings go with the rim up on both the upper and lower holes so they cannot fall out. Get a drill bit the correct size and have at it.

I don't believe these kits were ever meant for servicing lower hinges where there are no OEM bushings to replace. In this case 1 kit = 2 upper hinges. There was a time when GM placed bushings in both upper and lower hinges. The parts manager there showed me on his computer where GM was selling over 10,000 of these bushings per year ( explaining why the were in stock one day and out of stock the next ).
That doesn't mean owners don't place these bushings in the other lower hinges. I've seen a couple of different methods too. Regardless how its done, it aint gonna last 10 years ( That's why there were none ). The mechanical,,, steel supports only about half of the length of a very thin wall bushing. The doors weight and forces from the detent 'S' spring, less than 360 degree rotation, all contribute to the bushings early failure.
So... get the right size drill, reamers, part alignment, go one step further and cut clearance between the hinge halves so the bushings flange can serve as keeper and thrust washer. Good to go for a hobby car but If it's a daily driver, Expect to replace these bushings at drivers door lower again and again.
Good used minimal wear hinges are scarce today. There was a member here who offered hinge renew services. Did he properly fill and re drill those holes ? I don't know.

Red Fish, thats what i thought i would find out. Yes i will need to clearance in order to put the bushings in. I could try to weld the holes up and redrill but would probably need to make a jig to be sure i was following the same centerline. Unfortunately i dont have that kind of equipment so i guess i'll drill and rebush. Its not a dailey driver so i'm guessing it should last for a good while.
Rod

Repairing those holes doesn't have to be extremely difficult. See, One side of the hole isn't worn. If you can properly position a ceramic or similar round filler rod against those sweet spots, weld fill the void and even build the inside a little taller / thicker if you want.
I worked plant maintenance in a textile mill for 10 years. There was nothing we couldn't fix, one way or another.

-
Back