Need help with minor welding - Vancouver WA/Portland OR area

-
Several years ago I bought the cheapest Harbor Freight wire-fed welder ($90 on sale -20% off coupon = $72). It does work (see youtube). A gas-shield MIG will work better but cost more plus regular gas needs. I have fixed quite a few things with it. First was 1984 M-B w/ a cracked LCA pivot mount (added a support strap). Later, it's K-frame mount separated where a shop had made accident repairs, apparently with a stick welder (ugly & left gaps). I made a much better fix, topping w/ an L-bracket, after removing parts for better access (shop didn't). So, I salvaged that car twice. I fabb'ed custom tow-bar mounts, a slant-six Sanden compressor bracket, bracket to mount cable winch to trailer, carport roof from former trampoline frame. The welds aren't pretty, but a grinder fixes that. Coated steel (galvanized or nickle-plate) seems to weld nicest, probably because the fuming coating acts as a shield. The welder paid for itself 20x over and I learned. Start on simple stuff and you will soon get it. One thing you learn fast is that little molten metal balls will find any opening in your gloves or clothing.

-
Back