need help with my dart!!!!!!!

-
Bassically, yes, they swap, but the pitman arm is differant, your 71 dart will have the stud pointing up where the drag link attaches, where as the 74 will point down. So a pitman arm swap is needed, and be aware that there is a large spline on some boxes, and small spline on some, not sure what you have so that needs to be confirmed.

The above is not quite right. Generally the 73/ later boxes were large spline, and the earlier ones were small spline. This means that there are 4 parts that need to go together regardless of the year of the car

steering box....pitman arm.....center link.....and idler arm. All 4 pieces must be compatible.

1972 Plymouth Duster Alignment failure

1972 Plymouth Duster Alignment failure

Help with center link ID

Am I doing this right?
Actually, what I wrote IS correct, because you CAN buy a idler arm that is large spline to fit the 72 down steering linkage. And who knows WHAT spline he has, since he has a 45 year old car and parts could have already been swapped in the past. Maybe I should have started my post by saying "generally speaking"

Actually, what I wrote IS correct, because you CAN buy a idler arm that is large spline to fit the 72 down steering linkage. And who knows WHAT spline he has, since he has a 45 year old car and parts could have already been swapped in the past. Maybe I should have started my post by saying "generally speaking"

No idea what you are saying here. 72 earlier is not large spline. I did not say "what spline he has" all I'm saying is that "whatever box" you have you must match a pitman to the box, and the other parts must follow.

No idea what you are saying here. 72 earlier is not large spline. I did not say "what spline he has" all I'm saying is that "whatever box" you have you must match a pitman to the box, and the other parts must follow.
OK....let me try to make it clear for you. He was wanting to swap a 74 box into a 71 car. That means, ASUMMING the 71 has all factory parts, that he will be installing a LARGE spline box, and I pointed out in my FIRST post, that that could be a issue. (again, assuming all stock parts) And you do know, that you can buy a large spline pitman arm to fit the 72 down drag link don't you? There is no need to change idler and draglink. And to address what I think your point is, he could change ALL the parts to the 73 up style if he chooses. But really, none of us have any idea WHAT is already installed in his 45 year old car.

-
Back