Need help with windshield and rear window install on 67 barracuda

-

500duster

Reaction score
I have a 67 notchback barracuda. I bought windshield trim and clips for a 69 cuda and the windshield gasket is for a 69 part # WCRd690. It looks like this gasket may require a lock strip? I read another post where someone had used this gasket but did not mention if this gasket takes a lock strip along with the chrome trim. On the rear window I ordered the gasket from Steele rubber products part # 40-0518-81 which states it is for a 67 and has the black lock strip with it. I bought this car in pieces and the previous owner told me the car had a rubber rear gasket that just laid onto the paint and used a black locking strip with no other trim of any kind. I put the rear gasket in the opening and there is 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch gap left between the gasket and roof , dutchman panel and quarters. It looks to me like some sort of trim needs to go there. Water would just lay in the gap at the bottom of the glass if I was to install it. Can I use 68 or 69 trim and clips with this gasket? Steele's catalog is showing the samt gasket for 68 and 69. I can't find any clear pictures of what the rear glass on this car should look like but I certainly don't think there would have bee a gap like this. Thanks in advance for any info.

I'm not quite following . Part number mean nothing to some of us.
I can tell you what I know and hope it helps. 1967 front and rear gaskets used a simulated chrome lock strip. That material has an odd profile. D or F shaped.

1968 and later gaskets were of 2 different kind. Either a self lockings one piece gasket or a gasket that also required a lock cord. That lock cord is a O profile black cord.

Now... There will be corners where water ponds on painted steel whether its hidden under stainless reveal moldings or not.
These Ponds are a little larger on 67 than later. This is noticed when you install used stainless on a 67 and bump it tight to the body. You will see marks where the stainless pieces overlapped in its previous life/application. In other words, the 67 glass bed is just a tad larger. The body work lines aren't as straight on 67 either. The stainless moldings will show this also.
The great thing about the 67 type gaskets is forgiveness. They don't emphasize imperfections like the stainless does.

There are corners where water ponds on glass and rubber that are never hidden.
The

I'm not sure what the 67 rear window gaskets looked like. The gasket I bought is supposed to be for a 67 but there is a 3/8 inch gap at the bottom between the gasket and the panel that fits betwwen the window and the trunk lid. Is this what the 67's looked like from the factory?

Can you not provide a pic ?
Is the gasket on the glass or free floating ?
Are you referring to the outside or the inside where the package shelf goes ?
Sorry I can't see that far out my window. LOL

I'll try to add pics tonight. i'm not sure how to do it on this site but I'll try.

this is what the front and rear window gaskets look like for a 67 barracuda.yes i have both for sale too.these take the lockstrip.68-69 have no grove in them for a lockstrip.to my knowledge no one repos the 67 gaskets.just 68 and newer.if you need for a 67 67,these are the ones.by the way im in central pa,17813.if you need a lot of parts it might be easier for you to come see what i have because i got plenty of 67 barracuda parts to sell.hope the pics.help.mike.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 943
  • Picture 029.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 889
  • Picture 030.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 873
sorry about the blurry pics. as my camera is junk for close up pics.but you should get the idea.mike.

Do you know if the rear gasket used the chrome wide lock strip or the black lock strip? or are they interchangeable? How far are you from Mercer, PA. Sorry for all the questions but like I said i bought this car in pieces and i'm not sure how the car originally looked. I bought the car over the internet and the seller told me all it needed was a windshield that it had just left the body shop with a show quality paint job and just needed reassembled. Now after spending an additional $5000 on parts that were missing and repainting more than 1/2 the car i'm ready to put the windshield and back glass in. I have 3 e bodies and a 73 A body but have never had or worked on a car like this.

the car this came from had chrome lockstrips as i think all 67s had.i never seen one without the chrome lockstrip. if your out above pittsburg it looks like about 3 hours along I80 to bloomsburg im 1 hour from bloomsburg.3 hours total drive.let me know if i can help you with these or any parts.thanks,mike.

From what I can see in your pictures the lock strip will push the gasket out towards the body quite a bit.

My 68 Coupe has that style gasket (Steele sells the same gasket for coupes 67-69) and when I got the car there was no lock strip in the groove and I had quite a gap all the way around. Once the lock strip was installed the gasket was against the body all around with a small gap in the corners.

dgc333 that is the rear gasket i have. The one from Steele that is listed for 67-69 coupes. Are you using any type of stainless or chrome lock strip? My gasket from Steele came with a round black lock strip. Maybe if i intall the lock strip it will close up the gap?

There is a space between the where you would like for the gasket to be and where it actually sits on these cars. Its covered by stainless on the later but it's still there. The 67 gasket has a little larger profile and fills it better but not completely. Then the gaskets shrink with age.
If you have to stretch the gasket to get it on the glass, it shrunk.

OK here are some pics of what I have going on. You can see how wide the gap is using The gasket from Steele Rubber Products. I have been on the phone with them and they tell me according to their factory catalog this is what a 67 barracuda should use. They are telling me 67-69 all use the same gasket with no other trim, just the black lock strip which I partially installed for one of the pics. If this is the way it is supposed to be I'll have to get the paint gun out and do more painting in the window jamb. I did not paint this car or i would have done this already. I thought the gasket would cover all this so I did not paint this area when I re-did some of the other paint. I could possibly add 68 stainless trim and clips for about $300 and try to cover the gap but then water will just lay in the gap and rot the metal away.

Attachments

• S2010002.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 814
  • S2010001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 769
  • S2010004.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 819
  • S2010005.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 773
  • S2010006.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 791
Well, 500Duster, that is not the same gasket I have in my car. Mine has a square shape to the outside and is flat up against the body all around except in the corners. When I got the car there was no lock strip installed and the car has no evidence that the pins for the clips were ever there. I wound up ordering a lock strip for a GM pick-up that had a chrome finish and installed it. The cross section of the lock strip was not round though, it was a 1/2 round.

I have the 68 stainless trim and I was going to remove the window this winter to install the clips so I could use the trim. But from the picture it doesn't even look like the trim will sit tight against the gasket when installed. I had planned on getting a new gasket from Steele so I wouldn't need to worry about damaging the the old gasket but I may just replace the lock strip with a fresh one (the current one is very yellowed and cracked after 10 years) unless I can find a new gasket with the correct profile.

I just replaced the 67 gaskets with 68 gaskets and stainless moldings on my 67 about a month ago. The 68,69 stainless will push out to the body lines without separating the joints completely. As I stated before the blemishes where the trim overlapped before will be seen unless its all polished. The stainless lays on the gasket correctly too but only because I made sure the clips were the correct heigth
The front 68 gasket I used was one piece self locking. The rear gasket I used does have the round lock cord. I wanted the self locking but couldn't find a good used one. I can take pics if needed.
You will find that the gaskets with the lock cords are much more fexible and easier to install than the one piece. That's why trucks that are subject to glass breakage have the 2 piece gaskets and often used on the odd shaped glasses like the notchback.
I also listed the OEM 67 gaskets in the classifieds.

i still have the correct ones for a 67. front and rear.100.00 each.see pics in this tread.thanks,mike.

The problem is if i buy your 67 gasket Cuda crazy 67 is then i have to try to find the correct 67 lock strip which i believe are obsolete. Steele Products won't take this gasket back because they swear it is the correct one and that i don't know what i'm talking about. If i buy a 68 Gasket to use the 68 trim I don't know if i will get the correct gasket then either plus there goes another $500 for another gasket, trim and clips. I thought about just making a drag car out of it and using lexan windows since i have a ton of spare parts from my other drag car but all the local tracks are shutting down and i don't even have anywhere to race the drag car i have now. I may just end up parting this thing out and try to get at least most of my money back. It seems parts for these things are a premium price but the cars as a whole aren't worth that much. thanks for all the help on this issue. I may be posting a parts list for a ton of new and NOS and used parts in the next couple days.

ebay has the lock strip you need for these gaskets(67).but then you need some corner tim and a connector piece.it could get pricey.its up to you man what direction you want to go with the car.if you do part it out im interested in some parts and im fairly local.thanks and good luck with your decision.mike.

what parts do you need? i'm going to post the car on here and on a couple other sites as soon as i get home a day when it is still light so i can get some good pictures. I'm going to post it as whole car or parts and take offers. which ever way i can get the most money is the way i'll sell it. i know i paid way too much for it and have over $15,000 in it with what i paid for car and all the parts i've bought for it. i just don't really see the point in putting any more into it when i already have more in it than it will ever be worth. no more internet purchases for me.

what parts do you need? i'm going to post the car on here and on a couple other sites as soon as i get home a day when it is still light so i can get some good pictures. I'm going to post it as whole car or parts and take offers. which ever way i can get the most money is the way i'll sell it. i know i paid way too much for it and have over $15,000 in it with what i paid for car and all the parts i've bought for it. i just don't really see the point in putting any more into it when i already have more in it than it will ever be worth. no more internet purchases for me.
You can always right it off as fun, thats what I tell my wife, I wrote the whole car off as fun.

-
Back