Need info on degree angle of block for trans mod.

-
Ok, I got with a local dirt track chassis builder. He does MoPars using K frame, stamped rear rails, and builds everything in between. He has built dozens of em over the years. He states to find "driveline angle" you set the chassis dead level. Set your intake on the china walls, and put an degree finder on the carb flange. With the carb flange at 0° The industry standard for this is 3° to 5° down angle on the engine and trans with chassis level. Setting this angle on the engine and trans combination has nothing to do with suspension loading or weight in the car. What is affected by the weights in the car is the rear axle pinion angle. Which was not what I was doing. I was told by a second reliable chassis builder I am friends with that I was on the right track with level chassis and engine angle between 3° to 5°. He said make it 5° down, so you can shim it up at the trans mount if you need to.

According to these 2 local builders, the rake or angle of the car has nothing to do with engine & trans angle in the frame, and ideally the engine and trans angle need to be set up when the chassis is dead level. Again one guy starts with a level surface plate, a K frame, plumb bob, and a set of stamped A body rear frame rails. The other guy retrofits modern drivelines in antique pickups. Both mentioned chassis dead level and both stated 3° to 5° down as the industry standard. Otherwise people would be adjusting the engine and trans angle everytime they jack up the back and lower the front. Case in point my 69 charger was stock rear height but 2" lower in the front. Stock transmission mount was used. No issues. Engine & transmission were at stock angle the car left the factory with. 3° to 5° down angle.

Last edited:
5° down from level on axle pinion is concidered fine on a drag car. Again these 2 local builders stated for a street car that wont see much track time if any, set rear axle pinion angle no more than 3° down with all the weight in the car. And that 5° is fine if doing a drag car.

-
Back