Need local TQ expert

-
thats what kept happening to my LRE years ago.. every few months it would get dirt in the needle and seat.. i got good at cleaning them damn things..lol

Mine would leak raw fuel into the intake, what was it again, some O rings that need epoxied? I dunno, I have it sitting around in my garage somewhere. Are these things worth anything?

Always replace the filter between the fuel pump and the carb when putting on a rebuilt or new carb. The filter should catch any dirt. Pull the tank if the filters keep getting clogged.

Mine would leak raw fuel into the intake, what was it again, some O rings that need epoxied? I dunno, I have it sitting around in my garage somewhere. Are these things worth anything?

Some TQ's are worth crazy money, 71 340's and Competition. Others are worth good money, 1972-75. Some are worth a little money, mostly crummed up with smog stuff. All depends on what it came on. High Performance are more desirable. Earlier the better. As for the leak, the wells could leak, or the special O-rings, Quad-rings, were not used or left out entirely. QuadraJets were notorious for the bowls leaking and epoxy was the cure.

Last edited:
Some TQ's are worth crazy money, 71 340's. Others are worth good money, 1972-75. Some are worth a little money, mostly crummed up with smog stuff. All depends on what it came on. High Performance are more desirable. Earlier the better. As for the leak, the wells could leak, or the special O-rings, Quad-rings, were not used or left out entirely. QuadraJets were notorious for the bowls leaking and epoxy was the cure.
is there a source with part numbers? I remember a ID tag on it.

Some TQ's are worth crazy money, 71 340's. Others are worth good money, 1972-75. Some are worth a little money, mostly crummed up with smog stuff. All depends on what it came on. High Performance are more desirable. Earlier the better. As for the leak, the wells could leak, or the special O-rings, Quad-rings, were not used or left out entirely. QuadraJets were notorious for the bowls leaking and epoxy was the cure.

I recently read about using JB Weld, but I cannot vouch for it.

is there a source with part numbers? I remember a ID tag on it.

The Carter number is stamped on the rear mounting tab, left looking at it from behind, I think. Should be 4 numbers and an S, which stands for assembly. If they are rusted, corroded and stuck they are not worth much.

I am still up for learning how to do it.

If you crack one open, check the glued plastic wells on the bottom. Clean up the bowl and fill it with water to see if it leaks. If no leaks, you are good to go. I always replace nitrofil, plastic, floats with brass ones, they don't leak or soak up fuel. Take pictures before removing and before you disassemble.

Never epoxy quad-rings or quad-ring sealing surfaces. That is what the quad-rings do. Only epoxy leaking wells. Bead blast and epoxy all Quadra-Jet bottom bowl plugs.

JB weld works good! Did it to my thermoquad trouble free for 2 years now. My dad use to use it in quadrajets also never a problem/comeback!

You guys are re sparking my interest. My TQ isn't rusty junk, I just could never get it to stop leaking. I wasn't on the forums back when I attempted to get it going. I will have to blow the dust off it and see what I have. I do know that I have the cast iron intake that came with it, so I have the spread bore intake. Hmm...

JB weld works good! Did it to my thermoquad trouble free for 2 years now. My dad use to use it in quadrajets also never a problem/comeback!

Is there a thread that shows exactly where to put the JB weld/sealer? I am thinking it goes is in the fuel bowls correct?

Is there a thread that shows exactly where to put the JB weld/sealer? I am thinking it goes is in the fuel bowls correct?

No, You probably do not need to JB weld anything. The wells are on the bottom of the bowl. The 71 and Competition TQ's do not have wells. the adhesive Carter used is usually good, but I have seen a few where it has been damaged and leaks. I will try to post pictures of the wells later. If you get a quality Kit and replace the floats with brass ones you should be good for a decade or two.

i just downloaded some good TQ information in pdf and word docs. i'd upload them but not sure how... can any one tell me how?

TQ bowl showing wells and positioning pins. The pins are prone to breaking so be careful.
P1010001.JPG
P1010002.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010007.JPG

p1010001-jpg.jpg

had one of those come unattached on my old LRE.. would run good till ya floored it.. would stall and flood itself out.. glued it back on and it ran like a top again.,.:)

I picked up the carb again. The guy said there was dirt in it. Showed me a couple picks, so I thought ok, maybe. I changed the small amount of rubber line, mostly steel, and put in a good filter, i forget the micron number. I put the carb on, it fired up. stalled- thats ok, choke was open, kind of cold out. Turn again, sounds weird again, trouble starting, then bam starts up, I keep it about 2k till it is warm. Dies. Check carb, sure enough its leaking at the top. Look down the primaries, see gas, open the secondary, filled w white smoke, pull plugs- some are wet. Not buying the dirt theory at all. No way enough microscopic particles got in to block it up within two minutes and not one speck of dirt in the filter. This guy is bunk. So I try again w this carb or i get a demon maybe.

That’s why I started working on my own cars. Not many people really know how to check and fix things, and I never had a lot of money. Your call, A good running TQ is hard to beat all around. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, farm it out or get something new.

That’s why I started working on my own cars. Not many people really know how to check and fix things, and I never had a lot of money. Your call, A good running TQ is hard to beat all around. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, farm it out or get something new.

Check oil last night- gas definitely in the oil

-
Back