Need more info but only have VIN

-

72DMag

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new member. Long story short I found a 72 duster in the junkyard. Pulled it out and back-halfed it. Now I am putting it back together and hope to have it ready for next race season April 2020.

The car had this really dark blue paint and a white stripe with white and black interior. I'd like to paint the car that color and keep it somewhat original but I only have the VIN. The fender tag and buildsheet weren't on the car. Is there anyone I can contact to get more info about the car with only a VIN?

There use to be the historical place in michigan (I forget the name) and it would cost like $45 for them to give you the info on a car. Is there anyone I can contact now though?

Thanks in advance!!

Without the fender tag, I doubt it. You will have to play detective. Vin only broke it down to these items.

car line
body type
engine
year
assembly plant
build sequence number (last 6 digits)

if your main goal is to find the original color of the car toss up some pictures and we'll tell you
pull the weather strip off the trunklid to get the best persevered section of paint

Yes main goal is to find original color because it looks darker than b5 to me. But I could be wrong. I also want to get the same style stripe thats on it. Is there a particular name for that stripe? I am just going to make the stripe silver instead of white though.

Image might be small. Thats all I can do on my phone.

15695031440331_zpsm1jjoiy4.jpg

If it didnt say twister or 340 on the back near the stripe, it was likely a dealer installed stripe backing 72 to doll it up s bit to move the iron. This was pretty common as I have seen 318 and slant sux 69 barracudas with 340S style stripes with no engine call outs in the stripes. Likely to doll up the car to move it off the lot.

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone!! My instinct told me it wasn't b5 and apparently I was correct. Also yeah no engine number after the stripe on the rear quarter. So to find that type of stripe I guess since it was a dealer thing just search ebay for duster stripe. Doubt there is a part number or a reference if the dealerships put them on.

Thank you so much everyone!! My instinct told me it wasn't b5 and apparently I was correct. Also yeah no engine number after the stripe on the rear quarter. So to find that type of stripe I guess since it was a dealer thing just search ebay for duster stripe. Doubt there is a part number or a reference if the dealerships put them on.

Some of the companies have stripe kits, but that will depend on if you want to paint a silver stripe or if you want a white original looking stripe kit.

Classic Industries: 1972 Plymouth Duster Parts | Emblems and Decals | Stencils and Stripes | Complete Sets | Classic Industries (check out the gold duster one that are plain white).
Year One: 1966-74 A B E-Body 1971 1974 Model Side Stripe Kit

There are other companies that specialize in decals and other restoration sites, so they're not hard to find.

FABO member 'challengergary' makes quality vinyl stripes (or paint masks if you prefer to paint the stripe on your car) and can do a custom version for you if you want to add a custom engine callout or custom graphics. He can also provide you with a silver stripe. Suggest you start a 'conversation' with him.

Thanks everyone. Is there anyone out there that can give me build specs for car like the historical society use to do? Asking not only for me but I'm sure there's someone else out there that would appreciate that knowledge and can hopefully find this thread.

Thanks everyone. Is there anyone out there that can give me build specs for car like the historical society use to do? Asking not only for me but I'm sure there's someone else out there that would appreciate that knowledge and can hopefully find this thread.

I can say it won't be easy, I'm in the same situation. Seller I bought my 69 Barracuda from told me he had the fender tag. When he delivered the car, I asked where the fender tag was, he said it's in the car (piled high with junk). I looked everywhere for the tag and then build sheet as I stripped it to a shell. Nothing. I contacted him and he said it must be in my office at work, I'll find it and send to you. Never happened after months of trying, he stopped taking my calls/e-mails. So now no fender tag or build sheet.

I tried Googling my VIN and asking on here if anybody had any info. I even contacted Galen Glover and his secretary said they didn't have my VIN listed.

There is a lost/found section on here, you could try posting in there, it's like winning the lottery though if someone were to have your build sheet. On FB, there is a Chrysler Historical Society that I just joined yesterday morning and was going to see if anything came up on mine through that page.

Like MoparMat2000 said above, you'll have mostly have to play detective. When I first started asking and posted pics, many helpful FABO members told me they could see certain things or check certain things and I looked up the option codes for what they told me. I've narrowed down some of the options it was built with, but still bummed I have no fender tag or build sheet.

Good luck with your search.

I don't have the address but there is address where you can get the punch card for your car (if available) May be someone can chime in with the contact information. You might be able to use the search and find it.

This is off FCA website just now....

Historical Services:

Due to the high volume of requests, Historical Services requests that all inquiries be submitted by mail or fax. With all requests, please provide your name, contact information and specific request. A confirmation email or letter will not be sent.

Address:

Historical Services

12501 Chrysler Freeway

CIMS: 410-11-21

Detroit, MI 48288 USA

Fax: 313-252-2928

Just an FYI they have no records for cars 67 and up. I guess its a mystery but from what I have read something about a fire or flood that destroyed the records???

Hi guys. Sorry to bring this thread back but I don't believe the duster is b7 evening blue I thinks its b5 true blue. based on the documentation below it doesn't look like b7 was an option on the plymouth duster. Also, I found the code for the white stripe.

Dealer Brochure with all options for 1972 duster. You will see on the one page the 16 different colors available for a 1972 duster and b7 isn't one of them:
1972 Plymouth Duster | My Classic Garage

White stripe code and options:
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1972 Plymouth Color & Trim Book - Stripes & Interior

Percentage of cars made based on color. Note that b7 isn't listed here either for 1972:
What is the most desirable exterior paint color?

Let me know what you guys think. Based on this I am certain the car is B5. Just guessing the sun made it look darker possibly.

Hi guys. Sorry to bring this thread back but I don't believe the duster is b7 evening blue I thinks its b5 true blue. based on the documentation below it doesn't look like b7 was an option on the plymouth duster. Also, I found the code for the white stripe.

Dealer Brochure with all options for 1972 duster. You will see on the one page the 16 different colors available for a 1972 duster and b7 isn't one of them:
1972 Plymouth Duster | My Classic Garage

White stripe code and options:
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1972 Plymouth Color & Trim Book - Stripes & Interior

Percentage of cars made based on color. Note that b7 isn't listed here either for 1972:
What is the most desirable exterior paint color?

Let me know what you guys think. Based on this I am certain the car is B5. Just guessing the sun made it look darker possibly.

I think that car is too dark a blue to be B5, that’s what I think. At least in that picture. Now, I will say that B5 has a lot of metallic in it and it can look very different in pictures depending on the light. Same for B7 actually. And the color actually changed year to year, some years B5 was lighter, some darker, same code. But I don’t think that’s B5.

As for the other stuff- the percentages listed in the thread you linked (that I posted from Hamtramk Historical) do not account for all the colors available. They just listed the 15 most popular, and if you add those percentages you get 92.6%. So, 7.4% of those cars were painted something else not listed.

I also don’t think that manual you linked shows all the paint options. I could be wrong, maybe B7 wasn’t available on a Duster in ‘72. But nothing posted so far proves that. Without a fender tag or build sheet it’ll be hard to tell. You could take a paint flake from somewhere on the car that didn’t get UV (under a door panel etc) to a paint shop to match, and then compare the code they come up with to the ‘72 colors. Might not be perfect but it should end up real close to one of those codes.

-
Back