need more throttle travel

-

Hersbird

Reaction score
So I have a 600 eddy 1406. I was looking at how far my secondaries were opening and it was only a little, maybe 1/8 of the way. I thought it might be the kickdown linkage binding but after taking it off it still was the same. So I loosened the throttle cable clamp and pulled the cable back more to get another 1/4 in of pull or so and then it opens the secondaries all the way but won't let it fully return to the idle stop screw so it idles high. So how do you get more travel all together?

I have the mopar bracket and am using the larger hole that the factory pin fits in for the kickdown/throttle connection. Seems like running a drill through the smaller hole in the bracket and using it might give more travel as it is closer to the pivit point on the shaft of the carb. Or is there a way to bend the pedal itself to get more travel?

I'll put the kickdown back on once I get this in a full range, but for now it's just locked into about 3/4 throttle pulled back posisition not attached to the carb so it's not a factor.

I was thinking it had nice power before but know wonder how full secondaries might feel LOL!

Is this the adapter bracket you're using...

images
images

There is only one hole that the throttle stud fits...the one thats on the arm closest (pic 1)....the other 2 are for mounting it to the carb throttle bracket. Using the correct hole gives the correct throw.

images
images

There is only one hole that the throttle stud fits...the one thats on the arm closest (pic 1)....the other 2 are for mounting it to the carb throttle bracket. Using the correct hole gives the correct throw.

If youi use that bracket with the stock throttle cable stud, you may have to grind a notch on the carb side of the bracket to get the throttle cable on. Sometimes it interferes with the cable fitting and you have to grind a little clearance to be able to get the fitting on the throttle stud.

I didn't care for how the Holley stud was thinner shaft.

So I have a 600 eddy 1406. I was looking at how far my secondaries were opening and it was only a little, maybe 1/8 of the way. I thought it might be the kickdown linkage binding but after taking it off it still was the same. So I loosened the throttle cable clamp and pulled the cable back more to get another 1/4 in of pull or so and then it opens the secondaries all the way but won't let it fully return to the idle stop screw so it idles high. So how do you get more travel all together?

I have the mopar bracket and am using the larger hole that the factory pin fits in for the kickdown/throttle connection. Seems like running a drill through the smaller hole in the bracket and using it might give more travel as it is closer to the pivit point on the shaft of the carb. Or is there a way to bend the pedal itself to get more travel?

I'll put the kickdown back on once I get this in a full range, but for now it's just locked into about 3/4 throttle pulled back posisition not attached to the carb so it's not a factor.

I was thinking it had nice power before but know wonder how full secondaries might feel LOL!

You can't add more travel to the cable. It is simply stroke at the pedal (input) is directly related to movement at the carb (output). The cables are only designed to handle so much travel and then bottom out.

The only other way to "fudge" it is to lower the pivot where the throttle stud goes to the bracket (move it closer to the pivot) to get more stroke at the carburetor (modifying the ratio of input to output).

The only other way to "fudge" it is to lower the pivot where the throttle stud goes to the bracket (move it closer to the pivot) to get more stroke at the carburetor (modifying the ratio of input to output).

I didn't have to worry about kickdown, but that's the way I've always done it -- use the small hole in the throttle lever below and to the rear of the big one

The bracket looks a little different then that one, it has two holes on the outside flange a large and a small. I think I'll drill out the lower hole so the large factory pin will fit in it. That should make the throttle harder to open but faster as the pull is closer to the pivot. The kickdown should still hook up the same. My throttle pin is different then pictured as it has an inner part the throttle cable hooks to and an outer part the kickdown goes on.

The bracket looks a little different then that one, it has two holes on the outside flange a large and a small. I think I'll drill out the lower hole so the large factory pin will fit in it. That should make the throttle harder to open but faster as the pull is closer to the pivot. The kickdown should still hook up the same. My throttle pin is different then pictured as it has an inner part the throttle cable hooks to and an outer part the kickdown goes on.

Yes the stock throttle stud is different, but the bracket is the same. I've used these several times in the past and the way it's designed works properly...no need to drill holes and such.

images
images

images
images

Just FYI. 20-67 is the stud you want for Chrysler application. 20-36 is the Generic Motors part....

Well drilling out the hole worked, the cable ends up resting on the bracket when shut and you have to bend it to feed the pin in and then bend it back but it has good travel now. Seems like a poor design from the Eddy factory to call that a Mopar adapter. Don't know what is weird about my factory pedal that makes rigging it necessary.

-
Back