need new leaf springs

-
Another vote for using ESPO. Buy Quality Automotive Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Suspension Parts for your Classic or Antique Auto
or John R. John R. Spring Service, Inc. | Spring Manufacturer

I have used both companies and they're great. Both will provide over height. Just tell them what you want.

To everyone....Guess who makes the majority of the springs mentioned in this thread, including Espo ?
John R Spring

To the OP: Be careful with +1" and +2" springs. You will probably not be happy with how high it sits. Your original 40 year old springs are taxed, and sit way below stock. Just get yourself a nice set of factory replacement springs. You will be happy. That is unless you are looking for the jacked up in the air look.

Last edited:
I would contact a local spring shop , especially one that does trucks to see if they can rebuild your springs . Most can do custom work , retemper your springs , rebuild them or modify them at a fair price . Worth checking out .

Arizona spring quoted me $290 to rebuild my leafs, with a disclaimer that they may not be able to find the correct bushing. They did say "we will find something that will work".
I decided to go with new replacements.

I can tell you what springs NOT to buy: Mopar Performance Oval Track.

I might go with AFCO. At least they tell what rate their springs have.

73626E04-E935-44D7-A880-DCB1168A9AEE.png

on our 70 yes i have eaton.. but the op seemed to be a little more budget minded and the espo will fit that bill nicely. have used espo on our former cars and was always happy with them.. the eaton are great too just kinda expensive..

this is the stock height eatons.. i should have gotten -1". don't like how high they sit.

View attachment 1715247921
Man I love your car! I think yours is one of my favorite I have seen on here. And btw you changed my color choice! Lol

Mancini XHD springs are 1 1/2" over stock height and SS springs are 2". Now be aware that the spring for the right side sits 1/2" higher than the left. This is for launching as that side of the car get more torque. I had to add a 1" raising block on the left to even everything out which now changes the length of the shock you need for that side or it bottoms out. Be careful what you buy and know all the specs as one thing affects another. The XHD are stiff like a SS spring. I now have to buy a full set of shocks for SS spring length just for that side, or you can have your car lower on one side. These numbers came from Mancini yesterday. Call them if you want to use theirs don't just order like I did.

KIMG2174.JPG

Mancini XHD springs are 1 1/2" over stock height and SS springs are 2". Now be aware that the spring for the right side sits 1/2" higher than the left. This is for launching as that side of the car get more torque. I had to add a 1" raising block on the left to even everything out which now changes the length of the shock you need for that side or it bottoms out. Be careful what you buy and know all the specs as one thing affects another. The XHD are stiff like a SS spring. I now have to buy a full set of shocks for SS spring length just for that side, or you can have your car lower on one side. These numbers came from Mancini yesterday. Call them if you want to use theirs don't just order like I did.
Ok thanks got the input and info brother

espo is what i recommend.. they come in stock height +1" and +2" heights.. the woman there that answers the phone really knows her ****...

i'd go with the 6 leaf over their 5 leaf also...

here is how jamies dart sat with espo +1" 6 leaf springs..
View attachment 1715246478
I have a 70 Dart Custom, exactly the same color! And a Black top! Nice looking car, Jamie has there. Everyone's happy, even the car. Lol

And for my green Darts sagging springs, I got some 6 leafs from a 340 A body . They have a larger front eye bolt. $50. Then I stacked the strongest 7 leafs from both sets, and made my own. You just bolt them together. Now it sits up high in the back, it has a good firm feel. Plus it handles the torque of the 440 real good. Just one way to do it and less expensive.

The 340 cars came with a 5/8" eyebolt at the front hangar. The lighter rearends and smaller motor cars had the 1/2" bolt. So I had to drill out the spring hangar to 5/8, and buy new bolts when I put on the stronger springs from the 340 car. I think at some point Chrysler went to 5/8 bolts on all the A Body cars. The 5/8 bolt is much stronger.

Hi all:

I am to order ESPO springs this week for the Barracuda. Did any of you who installed the +1" ESPO's need to use other than stock shock absorbers or flex brake line?

TIA

My home brewed 7 leafs raised the rear about 1 inch over stock. Shocks work fine. I actually used the 340 spring on top, with the larger 1/2 inch front eyebolt. Then used the stock one below that, after cutting off the 7 16 ends. Then the strongest ones below that. Worked out great!

does anybody have a picture of a 67-69 dodge dart with fresh stock height springs? cuz the reason i wanna change mine is im loosing arch so if its taller than i think i will go stock but i need some kind of reference to compare it to?

I just put a new set of ESPO springs in my 69 Swinger and they're great. I ordered the 1" over stock and they're perfect - puts the edge of the wheelwell lip 2 3/4" above the lip if my rims and the car sits level. .

I just put a new set of ESPO springs in my 69 Swinger and they're great. I ordered the 1" over stock and they're perfect - puts the edge of the wheelwell lip 2 3/4" above the lip if my rims and the car sits level. .

14 or 15 inch wheel?

-
Back