need rear end help(72 demon)

-

evil 340

Reaction score
i put new Yukon axles in my 8 3/4 and newer style drums (o'riellys) from 73 and up large bolt pattern. everything seemed to go together ok, but when i put the wheels on and tightened them up it locks everything up. long story short...the inside lip of the drums hit on the inside of the backing plate. so whats my best option to fix this? thanks in advance

i put new Yukon axles in my 8 3/4 and newer style drums (o'riellys) from 73 and up large bolt pattern. everything seemed to go together ok, but when i put the wheels on and tightened them up it locks everything up. long story short...the inside lip of the drums hit on the inside of the backing plate. so whats my best option to fix this? thanks in advance
Need to change backing plates also,try and find some from 8 1/4 rear.Probably gonna have to change brake shoes also.JMO

If they are barely touching...1/16 to 1/8" you can put a spacer between the drum and the axle. This is a simple easy fix when you need to move the drum out just a little. You can use the store bought spacers that come in various thicknesses or make one out of some 1/16 sheet metal. Just make sure any metal you use has a uniform thickness so your drum runs true.

Treblig

backing plates...brake shoes and drums need to match ....you can not use the backing plates off the demon ....need some 8 1/4 backing plates...and then need the proper size brake shoe..

backing plates...brake shoes and drums need to match ....you can not use the backing plates off the demon ....need some 8 1/4 backing plates...and then need the proper size brake shoe..
This... and, a good place to sorce these is off later model 5th aves and diplomats. Plenty of those in the junkyards around here, parts are cheap also going that route

thanks all.
do the 8 1/4 backing plates have to be A-body backing plates?

also add trucks and vans(up to 83)and b,c & e bodies.

-
Back