Need some advice

-

Bullmoose

Reaction score
First let me say I'm sorry if this posts twice. Im 29yo, been in the Army for the past 12 years and currently living in MO. I need some advice though because I'm thinking about buying a Duster. It's a 73 Duster, currently it has a rebuilt 318, auto, sublime, black interior, black exterior trim. Originally the car had a 340, 4-speed, gold with parliament viynl top. Needless to say I think the car is about 70% restored, the paint is recent, but sloppy, the exterior trim that was painted black is peeling off, all the weather stripping needs replaced and the current owner has no clue how many miles are on it because the speedo doesn't work. How much should I except to pay for this car?

No worries, I'l just say Welcome again

Ma Snart

Attachments

• 1st Drag Race Pulling Into Burnout.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 98
Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

Hard to tell without pics but if it is straight and mostly rust free I would say $4,000 or more depending on condition of interior/trim/how well it runs. How hacked is the engine trans swap. Holes drilled for floor shifter? Is the clutch pedal still there? Is there any of the original linkage with the car? Does the guy know where the original drivtrain is? A 340 four speed car would be valuable with the correct parts in it.

Lots of red flags popping up there, I wouldn't buy it at all.

A $100 paint job and a gallon of body filler can cover $10,000 worth of needed rust repair.

Welcome. Hard to put a price on it w/o seeing it. As 1968FormulaS340 & mischiefdart noted, lots of variables. My Duster was a similar type of find, i.e. 340 4spd, but converted to a 727 at some point, needed lots of wiring work, bad steering gearbox and leaking oilpan among other things, but ran and turned out to be solid. The seller was very cool and let me really dig into before making an offer. A magnet would help you find filler on the body. Crawl under that sucker as really get a good look at the frame, esp spring mounts etc. Pull up the trunk mat and if possible carpet in the front to eye the floor for rust etc. I also brought a second set of un-biased eyes to look it over to keep me focused (I really liked the car but did not want to make an "emotional" decision).

Good Luck and post up how it turns out,
Pat

Welcome aboard :cheers:
Yes there is allot of cars made to look good and be very good drivers.
A magnet coated is a good thing to have if it is portent on the buyer.
Enjoy this great site plenty of great tec's and folks here to cheer you on.

-
Back