Need some dimensions...

-

moparaddiction

Reaction score
I want some old school mopar 3 position shackle to lift my leaf springs... but I'm on a budget and have plenty of flat bar stock to make a set. If anyone has a set could I please get the dimensions from holes to holes, thickness, and width. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Well, in my opinion that is a band aid fix. I understand being on a budget and all BUT if you're gonna park it for the winter why not save up for new springs OR you can add a leaf.

I know that doesn't answer your question but those shackles will change the geometry of your suspension and can affect the handling of the car, not to mention possible pinion angle changes.

Is that your car in your avatar? If so the stance looks pretty good to me.

Yes it is my car... i want a little more of a rake. My uncle had them on his swinger back in the late 80s and never had a problem with anything. They only max out at a 3" lift. I want to go 2" and I also love that old school muscle look.

If you put on those extended shackles there will be something wrong with your springs in a short while. They ruin springs. Why not just add a leaf?

Not understanding how it would ruin the leafs... they sell shackle lift kits for jeeps and trucks all the time. None of them have any problems. This is the same thing. As I said earlier, my uncle ran these for years back in the late 80s and never had a problem.
I am not asking if this is a good ideal or if it has any consequences... I'm asking for some dimensions. Thanks for your input tho.

My guess is your responses will be limited because most of us have learned they aren't good for the suspension, ride, springs, handling etc. I ran them too when I was younger and didn't know any better. I haven't had them on a car in close to 40 years.

With that said, my guess would be to go to a store that sells them with a tape measure and grab some measurements.

Anticipate rear end hop also. It will throw pinion angle off. But dont listen to us, Hell you might as well throw air shocks on. Now Im done. Actuall I just threw a pair away I hated them and the problems they caused.

I'll post the dimentions tonight when I get home of the ones I'm using while I'm saving up to have my second set re-arched and rebushed (Yes with the original shackles).

I also have a set of these you can have for $10 plus shipping (they just need the nuts which I lost somewhere)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!o4FI5Nq08KzBSS,3WphGw~~48_35.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 154
"Extended shackles" were a damn poor idea back then and they are at least as bad now.

PLEASE rethink this idea.

Well, LOL, some will say use them some say don't. I am in the won't category. The shocks mount to a pin that is in not so stout steel.

The key is, if you do run them don't over inflate them because now you are supporting the cars weight on just those two pins.

In all reality I think your car has a decent stance as is. But it's your car to do as you wish.

Not trying to be negative in anyway.

I put air shocks on my son,s 66 valiant. They really helped its stance, and the ride and handling is still very nice. Just follow inflation recommendations. I think it's 50 lbs max.

The problem with using taller rear shackles on a Mopar is that most of the spring strength is forward of the axle and most of the length is behind. Most of the change in height will be a lowering of the end of the spring. More can be had with air shocks or a slight change in the front hanger (will have to be custom). The taller shackles work much better at raising height with symetrical leaf springs (same length front and rear segments).

Thanks Kernel... wats your stance look like on the first hole?

I like it actually but I really need to do a complete suspension overhaul in the Spring and with the 15" wheels I actually need to bring the front end up a little bit as at certain conditions the tire just lightly tags the fender. Will take a picture tonight and post it here for you if I can (gonna be a very busy evening for me tonight unfortunately).

As I mentioned I am going to be having a second set of springs re-arched to hopefully get the same stance without using these shackles. If you notice the threaded rod I have on there currently, I put it on there to try keeping the shackles virtical as I found them wanting to pull inward. I guess I could have welded the bolt heads to the shackles for more stability... the OEM shackle bolts are pressed/welded/whatever to one of the shackles which are also shorter adding to the strength and stability. That is the reason I really do want to use them.

Will try to get the pix tonight for you

My guess is your responses will be limited because most of us have learned they aren't good for the suspension, ride, springs, handling etc. I ran them too when I was younger and didn't know any better. I haven't had them on a car in close to 40 years.

With that said, my guess would be to go to a store that sells them with a tape measure and grab some measurements.
agreed. been there and done that but I think he will need to learn on his own

-
Back