Need some help getting her to daily driver condition.

-

Gadabout

Reaction score
Paid too much, but couldn't resist the toilet seat trunk. I need some help figuring out how to get going. She runs and stops smartly, but many little details are missing, and I'm not sure what I can do for some of them. It is not necessary to be a 100% accurate restoration; I am happy enough with some universal parts. But I am having trouble figuring out which ones will fit, which one's won't

20240217_083857 (1).jpg

20240217_084303 (1).jpg

Welcome aboard!

When you’re ready to get greasy and work in the car, start a thread. We love pictures! Start with the basics and list your concerns.

Welcome to FABO from SoCal.
I see by the plate that your new toy is a California car.

Nice Toad!!

Early As are tough.. requires a bunch of research and reading. Good luck... you'll get there

Thanks, I started a thread Under restores. I'm collecting a bunch of the little parts, wiper switch, thermostat, stuff like that, and will post up as I get it done. I'm reluctant to do some of the work myself, even though this is a pretty Plain Jane vehicle, because from past experience I've learned how quickly things can go pear shaped when you're mucking around in dark territory.

Years ago I got a nice gasoline bath, while wearing a goose down parka to soak it all in, while replacing a fuel sending unit on a 67 Dart. Fortunately, there were no ignition sources nearby, or I would have made an interesting human torch. Another time I tried to rebuild a carburetor. The boys at the shop had a good laugh over that one. Whistled like a tea kettle and barely ran.

The interior needs a total restore, as does the paint. I live in El Paso, and work can be done over the river for about half price. In past experience, quality was just as good. There are some extraneous issues that worry me a bit. But plan is to rectify the little stuff and then get the big, cosmetic stuff taken care of.

El Paso is HOT in the summer. Leaving her black will turn her into an EZ Bake oven. No AC, except the nice vent windows. My research indicates seven original colors, red, white, black, and deep green, I forget the others. I am partial to green and thinking of going with Sea Foam.

Back in the day, I had a lovely '64 Valiant, the color of which was more like a mental asylum green. It was an amazing car, and I regret I let it loose for something more "practical." She was a true barn find and had been moldering for decades. She fired right up, but all the rubber fuel lines, and some brake seals, were all rotted out.

I found out about the brake seals the first time I tried to brake coming down a hill. Being a quick thinking guy, I wrenched back on the hand brake, only to have it come out in my hand, dangling corroded cable.

I downshifted the pushbutton dash and ran up on a frozen snow bank that helped a little, and she bounced off the rear of a Subaru Brat, badly damaging his chrome bumper. Hardly a scratch on the Valiant. (He took off like a bat out of Hell, guess his license was under suspension?)

By more luck than intention, I've owned six Slant 6'ers over the years, and always wondered why I let them go. They were all wonderful cars, they looked different than anything on the road (except the '67, which looked a slab of lumber), reliable and comfortable. Now that I've got this one in my paws, I ain't letting go!

Get some Vintage air south of the border and make it any color you want. Even black. That is a sweet cruiser. Welcome aboard. We love that trunk as well...it's just has a cool factor in it's odd looking way.

I'm a newbie in the sense that this is really an old old car, but it is Slant 6, #6 I've owned over the decades. Why I felt it necessary to lose the other five, which were all supreme runners, I cannot say. Temporary insanity, I suppose. Not letting go of this one- I'll get buried in it.

The gigantic Toilet Seat Trunk, well, that's just the cherry on top. Saw that and fell in love. Even better than the Edsel Horse Collar.

-
Back