Need some info on intake gaskets

-

downsr

Reaction score
Got a leaking intake gasket that needs replaced.340 Air gap intake elderbrock heads.What options do i have as far as gaskets. I believe i used fel pro 1213 last time.I am thinking i may use gaskets in front and back this time instead of rtv but the gaskets on the fel pro are made of cork which i do not care for.Is there any better brands out there

Double check your intake to head fitment. If your leaking oil out of the engine or into the head, something is not aligning correctly. Angles may be off.

Just make sure your putting a nice bead of rtv on the front and rear of the block,I prefer the "right stuff" the gray one as for intake gaskets I like the ones Edelbrock makes..

Agree with Rob dbl chk fitment. I used Felpros and rtv and worked fine. I also used thin bead of rtv on intake ports on head. No issues

I find the thick black felpros have too much material along the bottom edge preventing them from sitting low enough . when you push them down into place they tend to spring back over time .I have had much better luck with the Eddie's , I too use The Right Stuff thanks to the advice of OldKimmer and it works great .I have gotten away with using the blue felpro perma-torque units but they are not recommended for the Air Gap intakes.

Cork seals fine in a fixed gasket spot like that. All lot of whether they will fit well is if the the head and block have seen a lot of machining.

One thing, is that the AirGap will not have holes in the intake's front and rear end rails like a stock intake will have to line up with roll pins in the block's china rails (used for intake alignment). Those pins have to be pulled out or some matching holes recessed in the intake's end rails.

I use the summit brand LA gaskets on Airgap/J head. Cork is 1/2 the thickness of OEM Fel Pro. Glue the cork to the rails and they won't slide. No leaks and removes easily when needed.

U can use cork end gaskets but if u do u can only seal 1 side unless u let the sealer completely dry other wise with both sides gooped up the gasket tends to slide out of place. Kim

-
Back