Need some install advice

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
I tore down the top of my motor last night, Will be installing a stock 68' four barrel intake and carter carb. I need advice as to if I need RTV for the gaskets and where to apply the stuff. I also notced two small tabs on the end of the head, I have seen these before, they are on the head gasket and look like they hold the end gaskets for the intake. Do they lay flat? or are they inserted into the ends of the gasket material?

I cleaned the surfaces really good and scraped all of the old gunk and crap off all areas, so I am ready to install the intake tonight!

Thanks,
John B.

use thin layer on each side of the gasket around the water ports, then a large neatly applied bead front and back (throw the cork fore and aft gaskets in the trash) they always leak or seep. you need a large enough bead to touch the intake when it is sat into place, start all bolts into the intake befor tightening any of them, then snug all the bolts starting in the middle of the intake and then you can go back and tighten them the rest of the way in stages...hope this is helpful to ya........Wagg's

use thin layer on each side of the gasket around the water ports, then a large neatly applied bead front and back (throw the cork fore and aft gaskets in the trash) they always leak or seep. you need a large enough bead to touch the intake when it is sat into place, start all bolts into the intake befor tightening any of them, then snug all the bolts starting in the middle of the intake and then you can go back and tighten them the rest of the way in stages...hope this is helpful to ya........Wagg's

AND when you get done, use a towel or your finger to "neatly form" the silicone around the front / rear of the intake, and inspect carefully there are no gaps.

-
Back