Need some opinions to make a good street suspension

-
72 Demon: "If you want to stiffen the springs using a salvage yard source, get the springs (tb & leaf) ... "

I wouldn't recommend salvage yard leaf springs because they are likely spent.

72 Demon: "Stiffening the rear springs without corresponding work up front will make the car understeer more."

No, stiffening the rear compared with the front will make it oversteer more. Less transference of twist to the front end.

72 Demon: "When installing floating caliper front disc brakes, reverse the spindle. Otherwise the caliper will make contact with the anti-sway bar."

I've heard that some fellas do this, but reversing the spindles creates other problems with the soft brake lines, as I have read on Mopar Action. I'd be careful here.

72 Demon: "I personally like old school, so am sticking with 15" wheels. I think that 17" with low profile tires still maintain a decent sense of proportion. Larger, IMHO, makes it look like a Hot Wheels car."

I agree with you here very much. I like the look of the 15 - 17 inchers. The old wheel openings were designed for smaller wheels for scale. It's a matter of opinion, but, while newer cars allow for the entire 18-20" wheel to show because the wheel openings are designed for them, the older cars often show the upper part of the wheel covered. You see a lot of this in the latest far out cars in Mopar Action, for example, and they really don't scale well at all in my opinion. Also, if your roads are like ours here on Long Island, anything smaller than a 40 series tire is looking for damage to happen.

I spoke to Dick Ross @ Firm Feel today. I'm planning on upgrading my torsion bars from the .870's that are currently in my car to .940 or 1.00. I was set on the .940 bars, but Dick says that for spirited street driving, I should go with 1.00. He said the stiff ride is more attributable to shocks than the t-bars. KYB's typically give that stiff, darty type ride. FF sells Bilsteins that have better valving. They're not cheap, though. He also told me nobody he has sold the 1 inch bars to has complained about the ride. Food for thought.

I would recommend their upper control arms if anyone is considering going that route. They look well made and I've heard good things about them. I'm going to put a set on my car.

In answer to dartley above;

These particular calipers were sold to me as a new replacements the late 70s B body (Cordoba) pin type. And, although these are touted by Rick Ehrenburg (Mopar Action guru as if this audience didn't know) as being lower maintenance than the stock A body sliders, my main reason for using them was that I found caliper brackets to use this type of caliper on 12 inch rotors first, and NAPA had a pair in their local warehouse. The piston bore is the same as 76 A body and can take the stock A body brake hose banjo.

Also, because the 2 3/4 inch bore of these calipers (again, the same as the stock sliders on my 76 Feather) is within 3mm of those used on the Mark VII, it would appear the 54mm rear calipers from a Mark VII Lincoln in conjunction the 11 1/4 rear Mark VII rotors, would be a good match, and easy to balance with an adjustable proportioning valve. They also have a built in parking brake, and would be relatively simple to build brackets for mounting on my 8 3/4. Now if I can just figure out how to bend a pull on parking brake handle around my fold down armrest bench seat for those bootleg turns...

thanks for the help everyone. Please keep it coming

Hello!

Like many others have said, a new Front End Kit, larger torsion bars, sway bars, and shocks will make a huge improvement in your handling.

There are many options out there. We (PST) offer a 10% discount to For A Bodies Only forum members. Our complete Polygraphite® Super Front End Kit is $439 (before the discount) and includes:

* 2 Upper Ball Joints
* 2 Lower Ball Joints
* 2 Polygraphite® Strut Rod Bushings
* 2 Outer Tie Rod Ends
* 2 Polygraphite® Stabilizer Links (Bolt and sleeve type links only)
* 2 Inner Tie Rod Ends
* 1 Idler Arm
* 4 Polygraphite® Upper Inner Control Arm Bushings
* 2 Lower Inner Control Arm Bushings
* 2 Polygraphite®Sway Bar Bushings (for most models)
* Control Arm Bumpers (for most models)
* 2 Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves
* 4 Upper Cam and Bolt Kits

A set of 4 KYB shocks are $159 and our high-performance, powder coated torsion bars are $389. Our front 1 1/8" sway bar and rear 7/8" sway bar are $149 each when purchased with a front end kit.

Normal retail price for everything would be $1285. With the forum discount your price is $1156.50 with free shipping.

Best of luck with your suspension setup! Please give us a call if you have any questions.

do not waste your money on the hellwig crap! i bought front and rear from summit and took them back because the mounting was soo half ***! call dick at firm feel and get the best product you can buy!

-
Back