Need some suggestions!

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
I searched for cam recommendations on here but didn't find anything that fit my application.

It's a 1974 D100 short bed
Stock factory 360
Will have a 4 barrel with the cam swap
3.23 sure grip
Stock 727 and stall

Looking for a cam that will give a decent idle but has plenty of power with the stock converter and valve springs. My goal is to make it run as quick as my dad's Lil Red Express or better. Comp recommended their XE268H but that seems like it won't match well with factory springs and converter. If someone has any experience with that cam let me know. The ultimate goal is to be streetable but be able to burn the tires like it's nothing. That's how the Lil Red does and that's exactly what I want. Any suggestions?

I have that cam in my 340. It is, in my opinion, an awesome street cam. I currently have a 4 speed and 3.55 gears. However, before I did the 4 speed conversion about 10 years ago, it was a 727 with a stock converter. It had a definite hesitation / stumble of the line with the stock converter. I put a higher stall converter in it (sorry I don't remember, but it was just about 500 over stock), and it was AWESOME after that. So if you don't plan on changing your converter, the XE268 might be a bit much. I am running stock rockers with no problem, but I did install new Comp springs (HIGHLY recommended anyway). Jimmer's suggestion of the 68 4 speed cam is a good one. That cam was a bit hotter that the 69 cam which was the same it manual and automatic transmissions. However, if you can afford the converter and springs, I highly recommend the XE268.

The trucks pretty heavy and the convertor in it is designed to be tight even when you're hauling something. That beign said - I have the XE262 in my truck - much heavier, but otherwise stock 360 with bolt ons and it's a torque monster even with 31" Mud Terrains. I think in a 2wd truck 1K lbs lighter the 268 would be fine. It might be soft in a 340, but the 360's longer stroke will take care of any "soft". I think the 340 stick cam will be too small to make any real steam beyond the factory cam that's in there.
Also - whatever cam you chose - you have to replace the springs with what matches that new cam. no maybes. You have to. You will also want to grab (8) plain old valve retainers and exhaust valve locks and replace the valve rotators you probably have in that 360. I used Comp 901-16 springs on my 262. They'd work fine with the 268 too.

I would be inclined to go to the 262H after going back and forth. Either will likely match up about the same with the stock TC, but the 268 will tend to be a bit softer at lower RPM; that would make it less likely to break the wheels loose, which is going to be any issue with this truck's light rear axle. But the higher lift of the 268H may give problems with the retainers hitting the valve seals. The 262H is a safer bet there.

Agreed on the springs. Changing them in the car is not such a big chore. You can research retainers at the same time.

You need to make an investment in the brakes and front suspension when you do this; this thing is going to be able to do some pretty high speeds.

If you end up replacing the valve springs, check the exhaust valve spring installed height. They're really short if the heads have rotator retainers on the exhaust side. Just went through this on my dad's truck 360. Even replacing the springs, retainers and locks may not work with the valves because the grooves for the locks are so low on the valve stem. In that case, you'd need new exhaust valves as well.

Picture1106161455_1_zps7mbkknbk.jpg

Picture1106161020_1_zpstec1hucy.jpg

Picture1104161851_1_zpsbowyrfl0.jpg

I worded that poorly! My mistake. What I meant by the valve springs was not having to run dual valve springs or something that requires extra work to the heads. I'm okay with swapping valve springs if they're required.

Some stiffer singles will improve the high RPM valve action. Damper coils inside would be even better.

For gods sake man, call a cam grinder and get a custom cam. I've listed several of them many times.

It helps with all the post build bitching about noise, low end power, carb stink etc.

I just don't see a happy ending here.
I read 3.23s, stock stall,heavy truck, super low compression 360, and now a 340 cam? I just don't see it! That 340 cam with an ICA of 60* will drop your Dcr to about 6.5/121psi. I'd call that atrocious with 3.23s and a 2200 TC which because of the huge cylinder pressure loss, might now stall at 2000 or less. I see this as a huge disappointment.
Instead;
I suggest an LSD4.30, a 2800TC,a traction aider and big fat 28s, in addition to the headers and a 4bbl(Ima thinking TQ), but it don't matter much; maybe a 650DP . This will get you up to speed in a hurry. Maybe you can outrun dear old dad in the 1/8th, if he sleeps on the armdrop.

The point is this; That 360 in your current chassis, cannot afford to lose any Dcr,or it will be a dog, out-of-the-gate.
Now if you had expressed a willingness to change the TC and rear gears, I would have expressed a different answer; but the 340 cam would still not be on the table.It works great in 3000 to 3200 pound chassis, but not so much in a D100

Last edited:
I just don't see a happy ending here.
I read 3.23s, stock stall,heavy truck, super low compression 360, and now a 340 cam? I just don't see it! That 340 cam with an ICA of 60* will drop your Dcr to about 6.5/121psi. I'd call that atrocious with 3.23s and a 2200 TC which because of the huge cylinder pressure loss, might now stall at 2000 or less. I see this as a huge disappointment.
Instead;
I suggest an LSD4.30, a 2800TC,a traction aider and big fat 28s, in addition to the headers and a 4bbl(Ima thinking TQ), but it don't matter much; maybe a 650DP . This will get you up to speed in a hurry. Maybe you can outrun dear old dad in the 1/8th, if he sleeps on the armdrop.

Yup, there are way better cams out there than the 340 grind. You just have to call and ask for it. I don't know why guys want to use something designed for mass production, lowest common denominator surface transportation when you can get something designed to work with what you have.

It just baffles me.

I had a '89 Ram 150 2wd with a 360 Throttle body injected. 3.21 gears. Stock manifolds, single exhaust, stock torque converter, ran 15.30's. That's pretty close to a Lil Red Express times. This, of course, would be the roller cam LA 360 with factory 308 heads. All I did was remove the cat/muffler for a better flowing muffler. Still single exhaust Y-pipe though.

-
Back