Need Steering Wheel Puller for 1968 Dodge Dart 270

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
Ok....again need some help. My 49 year old 1968 Dodge Dart 100 % restored /6 now needs a TS switch. What tool do I buy to remove the SW) steering wheel). A friend lent me his harmonic balancer puller from NAPA (p/n 7769062). Its nice and pretty and several size bolts. Will this work??

The DODGE Service manual specifies tool C-3428. I don't know what this is?

Any help really appreciated plus procedure to remove steering wheel would be nice

thx guys...love my 1968 Dodge Dart SL-6. U guys are the best for help.

this is a C-3428
c-3428-b.gif

is this what your bud gave you?
1022405.jpg

advanced auto parts or auto zone will loan you one,pay deposit, and when you bring it back, they refund the full amount to you

A balancer puller is generally too large. Borrow one from the zone.

advanced auto parts or auto zone will loan you one,pay deposit, and when you bring it back, they refund the full amount to you
I agree, a "steering wheel puller" is what you need

Late to the party. Yes, the T bar type puller is what you need.

i pulled my wheel of with a balancer puller. worked no problem. i did have get different bolts...2 inch long 1/4 28 bolts

Sometimes you don't even need a puller....put your knees behind the wheel and push up against the toe board, all while LIGHTLY tapping on the center shaft...whoosh, off it came. Ask me how I know.

Many many years ago, I used a borrowed flywheel puller for briggs push mower engine. A few years later I realized the same little piece of steel bar w/ 3 holes drilled through serves as a steering wheel puller also. So I made one. Older and wiser led to slotting it to a 'H' shape so its more universal. Nuts, bolts, flat washers, we got those.
Flywheel Puller Briggs 19069 19165 80000 2.5 7 | eBay

Last edited:
Sometimes you don't even need a puller....put your knees behind the wheel and push up against the toe board, all while LIGHTLY tapping on the center shaft...whoosh, off it came. Ask me how I know.

I agree this method works. Loosen the steering wheel nut, but don't completely remove it or you might hit yourself in the face with the wheel....Ouch!

Guy i worked for could just line himself up with column and reef on steering wheel. Good way to tear a bearing apart. I would also suggest its hard on tilt column components.

A couple different pullers in your toolbox is not a bad thing.

There's a previous thread where that owner yanked a portion of the steering shaft out. If sheer pins weren't already broken, he broke them.

Oh ya, that too. Forgot. A good measurement of your bolt spacing on steering wheel hub, and buying a balancer puller that will work will at least give you something you can use for more than one purpose.
Unlike the hub puller i bought for a 59 dodge. Was a lot of money for a one time use.

-
Back