Need thoughts on battery operated sawsall

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Anybody here have a battery operated sawsall. I would like to have one for junkyarding. Specifically for cutting off sheetmetal parts. I know the Li ion battery ones are the bomb. Any one out there that runs the longest? Has the most power etc? I know Li ion batteries recharge quickly and pack a big punch in power for their size

I was also thinking of getting a 12v to 110 inverter i can alligator clip to my trucks battery, or to a spare battery to recharge the batteries for the saw. However do they make 12v battery chargers for these tools?

I have the Milwaukee Fuel 18v. Its awesome. I think it was 250 bucks with the 9 amp hour battery from MSC. They claim it will make like 92 cuts through 2x12 pine on a charge.

Anybody here have a battery operated sawsall. I would like to have one for junkyarding. Specifically for cutting off sheetmetal parts. I know the Li ion battery ones are the bomb. Any one out there that runs the longest? Has the most power etc? I know Li ion batteries recharge quickly and pack a big punch in power for their size

I was also thinking of getting a 12v to 110 inverter i can alligator clip to my trucks battery, or to a spare battery to recharge the batteries for the saw. However do they make 12v battery chargers for these tools?
I have a Craftsman saw. Have had it for a long time and it works well. Be prepared to have extra batteries charged up and ready to go.
Those saws go thru the batteries quickly. Maybe newer batteries have a longer life. Don't know about 12 volt chargers. The Craftsman
is 19V. Most newer saws are probably 24V and have to be charged with their chargers.

I have this Milwaukee saw. Works great, powerful. Can get 9ah batts...

403681_2000x2000.jpg

miln48-11-1890.jpg

The chargers were why i was thinking a 12v to 110V inverter clipped to my truck battery at the junkyard. Do these implements of destruction typically come with a spare battery

I have a Ridgid 18V and a Dewalt 18V. (got the Dewalt at a garage sale.... too good of a deal to pass by since I already had Dewalt batteries for other tools)They both work well but tend to use up batteries pretty quickly. Take several spare batteries to a junk yard run. Certain blades seem to use up batteries faster than others and that seems to be different between my saws.

I am thinking 4-6" sheetmetal blades.

Any thoughts on inverters? The yard i go to they let me drive my truck in there. I work off my tailgate like a workbench.

I have a dewalt 18v. Not really a useful tool for sheetmetal without a bag full of batteries. It does a little better on wood.

12 --120V inverters have gotten SO dirt cheap in the past years, the answer is !!YES!!. "Cobra" seems to be a decent brand from what I've read, I've got a couple ?400w ones I bought used

Either way i would need to keep the truck running. The plusses to battery power is i can go out there with 2 charged packs, and when they run down, i can start the truck and charge em up off the inverter. The minuses with the batteries are the length of its charge.

The plus to the corded saw are no recharge. The minuses are i have to run the truck continuous, and the inverter has to be able to provide enough power for a corded saw so it wont keep tripping its breaker.

i second that on both the milwaukee hackzaw and sawzall,,,i own a construction company, and we have used them all,,but those Milwaukee cut circles (no pun intended) around the dewalts and craftsmen models we have used. we can cut for an hour on a milwaukee battery and man, talk about torque! hands down milwaukee for us,,,

i second that on both the milwaukee hackzaw and sawzall,,,i own a construction company, and we have used them all,,but those Milwaukee cut circles (no pun intended) around the dewalts and craftsmen models we have used. we can cut for an hour on a milwaukee battery and man, talk about torque! hands down milwaukee for us,,,
Wow an hour on a battery!!! Goly crap thats great!! Was it a lithium ion battery?
I would imagine they have a longer life on a charge cutting thru thin gage sheetmetal than thru wood.

they make different capacity batteries,,which are different sizes,,we use the biggest packs which are a bit heavier,,but last sooo much longer,,,,we can cut 20+ rafters off of a roof when doing demo,,and it doesnt even slow down

I have a 12v DeWalt charger for my 18v DeWalt tools. Works good just plug it in to lighter or 12v socket. Have been happy with all my DeWalts but mine are old. The newer should be better.
Yote

My Ryobi sucks,just saying.

I've got an 18V Ryobi and it's OK. Don't particularly like the awkward safety button on the power switch...kind of makes 1 handed operation pretty awkward.
Went with it because I have several other Ryobi cordless tools and the batteries swap.

I have a Porter Cable,it does a good job but,,,,it eats batterys.I have 4 batterys I keep charged for (salvageing).............................Jeff

I use my 18 V ridgid way more than my air powered cut off wheel for just about anything.

Dewalt been serving me well for over 15 years..
Agree. I got a 4 pack of 12 volt Dewalt tools about 10 years ago. Sawzall, circular saw, drill and impact driver. They work great, but the saws will drain batteries pretty fast.

-
Back