need to clean my hands for wedding...

-

xwaynestaticx03

Reaction score
i turn wrenches for a living and my hands are pretty much permanently nasty. im in a wedding on saturday and my g/f wants me to get my hands nice and clean. what do any of you guys recommend do get my mits looking respectable in 2 days?

Try Soko brand Solopol cleaner or Zep makes a good one too. I have both in my shop and they work well. Probably have to find vendor in your area on internet.

soak your hands in hot soapy water after using a good garage hand cleaner(atleast 15 to 20 min.), and use a small fairly stiff brush to remove gunk from under the nails. Been there and had to do that too! May take a time or two but they will become a few shades of white cleaner! Good luck!

I use fast orange and a brush from the plumbers supply house. Its a 4-5 inch white handled brush that does wonders and isn't that harsh on your skin.

Try Dawn dish soap a guy from a pile driving contractor said that works good.
Or laundry detergent my furnace guy said he uses that.
I tried WD40 which worked but the grease wasn't really ground in that
bad.

I will give you the best method to get your hands clean. It will get rid of the dirt AND make points!

1. Wash her car top to bottom with Dawn, do the engine compartment and door jambs with laundry detergent and a rag.

2. Do the dishes.

Don't ask how I know of this 'cure'.

You could always buff the crud off with your bench mounted wire wheel:-D

Seriously now, the guys above have given some great tips, and I can only add one more (and MAYBE the most important) .. Go to the pharmacy and pick up a little tube of Aveeno Intense Relief hand cream... Since you're gonna wear your hands out cleaning them, this stuff will make them look and feel great, and it's not that greasy type crap...It's the best stuff I've found so far, and I'd bet good money that your girlfriend will like the way your hands feel as much as you do !!

Have a great time!!

Kenny

I will give you the best method to get your hands clean. It will get rid of the dirt AND make points!

1. Wash her car top to bottom with Dawn, do the engine compartment and door jambs with laundry detergent and a rag.

2. Do the dishes.

Don't ask how I know of this 'cure'.

And not only that your car and dishes will be nice and clean too.

Being a bodyman for many years my hands had an almost permanent stain too. When I had to spiff up a bit for a special occasion I used one of the commercial hand cleaners mentioned and then soaked them in a bucket of really warm water with a fairly high concentration of Joy dish washiing detergent. Work the knuckles, fingernails and cracked skin areas with a genuine fingernail brush. You might even look down during the event and wonder whose hands those are!

I'm guessing this is a pretty nice affair and the groom's party is wearing rented tuxes? If so, talk to the tux rental shop and see if they can provide the groom's party with some nice evening gloves. Just in case your's won't come geeky clean. It worked for me more than once and the way I look at it, if they really want me to be there in that capacity they won't mind the extra expense or expect me to wreck my skin. After all, they knew what I did for a living when they asked.

i swear by dawn and a surgical scrub brush
whenever i was doing some messy work always used dawn to clean up
very little water for first wash
they don't call it a grease cutter for nothing
those commercials are pretty acurate
take a frying pan with grease residue in it add some hot water
let sit for a minute or 2 then add a drop or 2 of dawn and you can watch it chase the grease film to the edges :)

10w 30 motor oil,then dawn dish washing liquid and a scrub brush,then soak em in warm to hot water then go jo hand cleaner and a scrub brush then get a pedicure and wear surgical gloves while working on kewl greasy stuff untill the wedding/funeral passes Lol

wipe them down really good with go jo hand cleaner and then put on some surgical gloves and keep em on all day.the lanolin will soften up the skin and release a lot of the staining. Then scrub with tide and finish by rubbing them down in vaseline intensive care or avon moisture therapy.

i turn wrenches for a living and my hands are pretty much permanently nasty. im in a wedding on saturday and my g/f wants me to get my hands nice and clean. what do any of you guys recommend do get my mits looking respectable in 2 days?

Chicks know all about exfoliating and such. I would just put my hands in her hands since she's the one wanting them cleaned. Your mom might suggest you soak them in Palmolive dish washing liquid . LOL

try scrubbing them with trans fluid, it has detergents in it. when ever I get done overhauling a trans my hands are very clean. (once the trans fluid is also rinced off)

For the real nasty stains and dried silicone also spray your hands with WD-40,
It'll dissolve the stains then a mild dish soap to get rid of the smell or GO-JO. The WD also works good for the finger joints if ya got arthritis, no kidding.

Terry

thanks for the replies guys, my g/f will thank you. ill try and go to town with gojo and dish soap and see what happens. kinda wish i still wash dishes at the resturant i worked at for a day... crappiest job i ever had, but my hands were clean by the end of my shift for the 1st time in 5 years...

I always use dish soap and an SOS pad. Takes off about 50 layers of skin but they sure are clean!

I always use dish soap and an SOS pad. Takes off about 50 layers of skin but they sure are clean!

That hurts just thinking about it. Id rather just get the media blaster out :snakeman:

The key ingredients are hot soapy water for 10 minutes or so & a nice soft bristle brush. A soft bristle will work nicely under the nails. Make sure you clip your nails first.

If that doesn't work.....

Keep your hands in your pockets......:toothy10:

It'll dissolve the stains then a mild dish soap to get rid of the smell or GO-JO. The WD also works good for the finger joints if ya got arthritis, no kidding.

Terry

are you for real lol

Terry

I have never herd that before :read2: Or are you joking.:-D

I will have to check that out on the web and see what I can find.

-
Back