Need to get motivated

-
A friend gave me some advice that might be helpful for you. Every day you do something on the car no matter how big or small. Weather it's order a part, clean something up or whatever. Some days you may do a lot other days no but it keeps you moving forward and closer to that day when it's done.

It will be done when it's done, try not to say I'd like it done in x time or by x date, that can be very discouraging.
Focus on one thing, finish it. As it is nearing completion start planning the next step.

On my two project one took two years, the other six and a half. Although my Barracuda only took two years it sat largely untouched for 18 years, with my Polara I was thinking it would be a two year project, it ended up being six and a half.

Been there, three factors impact your timeline. Time, Money, Space. Try and set aside time, Saturday mornings are for the car, wife is at yoga on Thursday, that is my car time, you can always spend more but have a plan. Budget, small or large try and have an idea what your budget is and set it aside, I told my body guy I had $150 a week, he could work as much or as little as he wanted but I would only pay $150 a week, we kept a log, got it done. Nothing is more frustrating than constantly moving things to work, everything from having to clear the car off to clearing the bench, I bet I spent 10% of my time just dealing with the lack of space.

As already said, baby steps. Break it down into small projects and finish them.

For me having another classic to drive helped, I didn't feel like I was missing out. When I did my Barracuda I had a Valiant as a daily driver, with my Polara I had my Barracuda.

Alan

Since my earlier post, I went out & removed the wiring, distributor, radiator, battery & tray, & power steering pump from an engine bay I want to clean up over the winter.

Lots of time left in the day yet too!

I did have to come in for lunch though..........

My project sat for 4 years picked it up again , stopped , moved , let it sit , got motivated and now 97.5% done . Best thing I ever did . I had help but mostly done in my garage . Advise: don't give up , don't quit , don't stop . You can do it . We are here to help !

Just a thought . I started my project (Race Among The Ruins ) back in 2000 and I'm just finishing up . I was lucky in that I had a rust free, dent free example to start . You , however , are on the "left coast" where it is much easier . Stay safe !

A friend gave me some advice that might be helpful for you. Every day you do something on the car no matter how big or small. Weather it's order a part, clean something up or whatever. Some days you may do a lot other days no but it keeps you moving forward and closer to that day when it's done.

That would burn me out and burn my wallet up real quick. Not too sure about that advice.

Just a thought . I started my project (Race Among The Ruins ) back in 2000 and I'm just finishing up . I was lucky in that I had a rust free, dent free example to start . You , however , are on the "left coast" where it is much easier . Stay safe !

Left coast? I live in Ohio.0

That would burn me out and burn my wallet up real quick. Not too sure about that advice.
Understandably, I think you are missing the point I was trying to make though. All i was saying is that buying that part or doing the small tasks like cleaning or painting on the suspension or engine will lead you to the motivation to finish. Maybe you can't do every day and thats fine but it's like exercise getting started sucks but once you do you are motivated

We have all been there. Pick something small to start with and pick that off and move on to the next one. What helped me is a whiteboard and erasable markers. Fill the board up with tasks, number the task list by order priority and change the list once a week. After six years my car was done:)

What helped me was actually scheduling Tuesday nights as wrench night. That's it. EVERY Tuesday night in the garage, don't bother me! Also other times when available.

When I was a young man, I told myself I would always strive to do the things in life I WANTED to do while I was able physically. This I have always done. So now I find myself 70 yrs old, I am in better health and stonger than most my age or younger. BUT fact is, a struggle to get up an down, heat is hard on me, Triple bypass this time last year having to take blood thinners which any thing causes a bruise.
Point I am making, be grateful that you have the ability to do the things you love to do.

I have recently " completed" my build..... will it ever be really complete? Probably not... I did take a few breaks in my 3 year project and found that making a checklist of major projects/minor projects etc gave me inspiration to do little jobs when I had little time.

Setting up a bench grinder with a wire wheel was a big step.... anytime I had a spare minute I cleaned up the various bits and pieces of hardware. It was something small that made me feel like I was making progress, and it OFTEN led to me taking on bigger jobs I was putting off.

With kids doing their stuff and wife’s list for me. I would work on Saturday evenings after 8 when everyone was tired I would work until 3 or 4 in the morning every Saturday night. No one will interrupt you in the middle of the night. Yeh the neighbors got pissed so I would try to do the “loud work “ before 10. Go to a car show or drag race. Or you can just GET OFF YOUR ***.

So, this motivation thing,prompted me to go grab my 318 and swap oil pans. I refused to touch the pan unless i was intstalling it. So it has been in my way for a couple months. Today its going on the engine. Pulled rusty one off, glued gasket to new pan and waiting for adhesive to set up. A few globs of silicone and i can move forward with dropping it into the dart.
Screw it, go do something. Thats was my thought.
I spend more time thinking about the work than what it would take to just do it.

A couple hours here and there,and things move forward.

I always found the best thing was to do something on the car every single day. It doesn't matter what it is, just as long as you have done something and made some forward progress, no matter how insignificant it seems. It all adds up.

Best thing is my wife never begrudges my spending time on the cars, or buying parts, supplies. When in town, she always asks if we need to go by the parts store instead of doing an eye rolll!!!
I have developed a bone spur on one foot Hurts like heck. Had couple 30 year ago, They just go away after awhile, but I did stuff off and on all day. I always fell better physical and mentally after being active. Half glass of red wine, and I will sleep like an old baby!!
The weather has finally got decent here in S.E. Tx, actually 30 degrees below normal!!!

One nice thing about this site, car social media in general. It can motivate a person. I personally think people need an old mopar they can drive while they work on their "baby"!! Does not matter what it looks like, as long as it gets you back home and you don't kill anyone!

I've been working on my 74 Duster for the last 3 months. I installed rebuilt 727, repro cast iron manifolds, now installing 2 1/2 exhaust system and eventually going to put in the 8 3/4 rebuilt rear. The problem I see with Dusters is the lack of room to do anything. Tranny install, no room to install bolts. Exhaust manifold pass side no room between head & shock tower. Rt. angle oil filter adptr, a bear to remove old fitting from block, and then must use mini oil filter. Torsion bar sure makes it tough. I thought it was bad putting a gen 2 hemi in a 71 Cuda, but after working on this Duster, I'll take working on the Cuda any day

Beer ? lol too much beer in my younger years kept me off my 67 for 20 years.
skip the beer and put the money in a jar, you will be surprised how much money you will have to put into the car, rather than pissing it away. 80.000 in my case over 20 years, probably more.

This thread comes at a good time. I am glad to see that it isn't just me.... I have been working on my 73 cuda on and off for 14 years, it is 95% done but I still find myself dragging a$$. That said my motivation comes in spurts and usually when I am not dwelling on it; kind of just happens. It seems at times the more I think about it the less I want to work on it. However, I have noticed that if I pick a problem/action and really think about how to do it or how I am going to solve it, without thinking about it I will be working on it.

I have a few sayings that relate to working on cars;

1. Never lose sight of the project (meaning don't forget the vision/intent and allow yourself to get sucked down "rabbit holes")
2. As stated above; try and do one thing on/for the car every day. This includes planning, organizing and cleaning.

Well damn, i wish i could be of help, but the only thing i can seem to be motivated about is buying parts for the project and crossing them off the list. Got too many irons in the fire, got one kid whos 12 with serious mental health issues. Drives my wife and i up the wall. I spend most of my time playing referee on the weekends along w my wife over this ones bullshit. I know if i go in the shop to get away from it, my wife will resent my escape from it. So i typically dont. And if i do its typically to do regular mtx on our daily drivers. 5 more years and shes 18, its boot in the *** time for her.

Oldest moved out, then wrecked her car. I planned on going to the salvage yard today, but was volunteered by my wife to go help this kid shop for another car. It never ends. Well someday it will lol. I agree with the others, work on it a little at a time. Dont make a big demand. Get motivated watching vids, or reading magazines. Do something else on the car unrelated to the bigger job at hand. But if your not motivated, right now it may just mean you need a break from it to pursue other things you want to do in life for awhile. Maybe try a different hobby for a bit. If your life is less crazy and hectic than mine count your blessings.

I've been working on my 74 Duster for the last 3 months. I installed rebuilt 727, repro cast iron manifolds, now installing 2 1/2 exhaust system and eventually going to put in the 8 3/4 rebuilt rear. The problem I see with Dusters is the lack of room to do anything. Tranny install, no room to install bolts. Exhaust manifold pass side no room between head & shock tower. Rt. angle oil filter adptr, a bear to remove old fitting from block, and then must use mini oil filter. Torsion bar sure makes it tough. I thought it was bad putting a gen 2 hemi in a 71 Cuda, but after working on this Duster, I'll take working on the Cuda any day
Thats all A bodys my friend. They were really designed with a slant 6 in mind. Just have to get creative with your install. I plan on lifting the body on mine, and putting it all in from underneath. Thats if i ever get far enough in my lifetime to see it progress to that point.

Just do what you feel you need to. Due to my real job and getting the property ready for winter I haven't had any time in the shop in 2 months. No cars of my own were done this year and won't be. It's called life, and we all prioritize.

I'll second the just do something, anything or don't. I've gone a year or more with out working on the car.

My car is almost done, well that's not true but it's almost more done than it was before. I started with a fully stock 318 2 barrel, bench, granny grocery getter and now I have a bad ***, legit tire smoking, fire breathing, scarring women and children at idle, street race car.

Just keep going, you'll get there.

I think what motivated me the best to have paint on my car this year, was seeing all the nice cars at Carsilie and the Nationals.
It was enough push to at least get color on mine, it had sit for years in an almost finish state, just needed me to get motivated .

I am a results oriented person... I am not as bad as I was when younger, but it bugs me bad to see stuff not done, at least to certain stages. Like most, I can always find improvements I would like to make. So I make a plan to get things done. Step by step. I get the parts on hand, plan ot the entire segment of that build, calculate how long it will take, and not rest till I get that portion finished.. But I have done many cars over the decades and I know the usual pitfalls so that helps a bunch.

-
Back