Need to vent!

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
What the hell is with peoples lack of concience these days?

I loaned out a couple of Jet brand carbide cutters for porting to a friend ($$!). He also borrowed some disposable Mr Gasket sandpaper rolls and a mandrel.

Now he pretends like it never happened,and I must be mistaken. Now I agree I have a fuzzy memory due to meds and ms,but hell I can remember who I loan my stuff to!

Why do people feel the need to take advantage of a disabled person?

As for me,I wont be loaning anything out anymore.

Sorry folks,just need to vent. I guess it's my fault for trusting him to begin with.

Sorry for your loss, does said friend have a mom, dad, wife, GF etc you can talk to about getting them back?

My rules to live by

Never sell anything to a friend/family.
Never do or go into business with a friend/family. (I knew better, got burned using my brother in law as a real estate agent)
Never loan out your tools to anyone.
Never fix friend/family car, computer, etc. (you will become the lifetime warranty for repair)
Never own, rent or become associated with horses or the folks who do.
Never let your room mates girlfriend move in.

Happens to me all the time. Just the other day I fixed up a lawnmower for a friend, new air filter, carb kit, plug, sharpened blade, and oil change... worked with the guy for 7 years now. I used him for a reference for a new job, he says oh yea they called, but I don't have time to call them back. People are dicks for the most part, and I personally won't go out of my way for others anymore.

Happens to me all the time. Just the other day I fixed up a lawnmower for a friend, new air filter, carb kit, plug, sharpened blade, and oil change... worked with the guy for 7 years now. I used him for a reference for a new job, he says oh yea they called, but I don't have time to call them back. People are dicks for the most part, and I personally won't go out of my way for others anymore.

It seem the term friend can become loose, and you usually find it our the hard way. Sounds like your "friend" turned into a "user", one of those who just use you and toss you without care....it sucks. I will say I do have few true friends, and there are some I do help them fix their cars, house, what ever, but I know they understand and are grateful for the help. I have a friend i would go into business with, as I know he knows what we are getting into and we can work things out. Like everything in life, you have to use better judgement and that gets better with experience.

Like a good friend on mine said once:

"I've been screwed over so many times in business, I should be arrested for prostitution!"

Hard to know who the TRUE friends are.....

a buddy of mine picked up a jeep wrangler and I told him I would help him make it a trail rig.....and in a matter of a few months between him and I we took it from a stock $4,000.00 jeep to a $10,000.00 full on off road rig.

I had to drive about 40 miles round trip everytime I went out to his shop to help....sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.....in a v8 suv. He never offered to give me gas money or nothing......he would buy dinner every once and awhile but pizza won't move the orange needle in my ride of the E mark lol.

I was being a friend so i never asked him to pay me to do any of the work I did either.

he owns a fabrication shop that his family used to build roll cages for nascar a few years back.......and the shop is equipped with a supply room with plenty of metal........ one day I asked him if I could get a chunk of 1/8" plate steel about 12"x12" in size so I could make some support plates for the floor in my duster for my new bucket seats ..........and he went off on me about it how he does not like giving hand out and told me to go buy my own.

its that type of ungrateful way of thinking he displayed that made me decide not to help him any more.....and when I stopped showing up to help....he started calling me hinting around and all the work he had on his plate and said " you should stop out man " ........but I never would.....and then he stopped inviting me out on the trail riding trips and what not to.

he never ONCE offered to help on my duster since I have owned it....and even when I had asked him to stop out some time and give me a hand...he never would.

I can not count on any of my "friends" to help me do something.....if it does not benefit them in some way shape or form.....you can bet they will be a no show......which is why I have done my duster all by myself.

anyhow....sorry for the long post, I just can relate to the ungrateful friends thing.

I wish I would have kept a list of the stuff I loaned out in my life. I'd feel so much wealthier now lol..

And dusterdude about that 12x12 sheet.. that's wack! Unbelievably wack!

Grant

I wish I would have kept a list of the stuff I loaned out in my life. I'd feel so much wealthier now lol..

And dusterdude about that 12x12 sheet.. that's wack! Unbelievably wack!

Grant

your telling me.....it was maybe like a $6.00 chunk of metal give or take a couple bucks.

pretty stingy . I always remember that stuff.

^^my dad was in the same situation, he was installing a Gen 1, 392 Hemi in a 67 Coronet for a friend. Said friend began to ***** about the price of parts (mind you, my dad supplied all the knowledge, materials, labor, shop space and equipment for free) I told my dad, screw that, you have your own stuff (plus mine) to work on WTF are we doing working on this for some ingrate. Finally my dad had enough when the guy wouldn't even show up to help on his own car! My dad loaded it all up, hauled it to his house and left it, sad thing is, they were 50/50 on a car trailer (yea, 50/50 my ***, that was just in materials, my dad built, painted, and titled it outside of 50/50...) he left the trailer. Dude sold it all.

I keep falling for this all the time. The list is endless and I could go on and on with examples. Then you have your friends in your house and the next thing you know your stuff starts disappearing. I can only think of two examples where I didn't get screwed.

I loaned my friend a power drill about a year ago and he still has it. It was just about on its last leg anyways but still. I noticed however that I still have his automotive spray gun that I borrowed so I can't talk to much.

But I can say that this friend of mine is bad about calling others people stuff as his. I hate to say it but its true. I don't do that kind of stuff.

The way I handle it is try not to let anyone know what you have... therefore they won't borrowed it.

Good friends are for life.You can depend on them and they in return can count on you.Everyone else are just people you meet along the way.Respect is earned.The people mentioned above aren't worth having as friends or anything else. F.U.B.A.R. !!!!!!

I know how you feel guys...A buddy of 16 years traded me in for his girlfriend that he drives to see 65 miles away up north. I used to do all sorts of stuff for him too. Painted his truck for him twice, once for a graduation present and the second time because he had let another friend of his burn out with his 4 wheeler in the bed of the truck, and the worst part is that his parents even demanded that I paint it again because the bed was tore up. So I painted it for free again. Hes used my shop on multiple occasions without so much as a sign of appreciation. I've never once made him pay for anything on that truck and not so long ago he asked me if I could change the tie rods out on it..i told him that if he bought the parts I'd do it for $75..about $100 less than what the local "professional" would charge...and he got pissed and hung up. But he'll go up north to help his gf's dad with ranch stuff without payment and he used to have to sleep outside in his truck there. 16 year friendship thrown away for a 2 year booty call....No loyalty boys...no loyalty.

When people ask to borrow my tools I just tell em sure just leave me a deposit in the amount of the cost of the tool. Some due and others just say never mind. I worked to hard to get all the tools I have and aren't going to loose em.

When people ask to borrow my tools I just tell em sure just leave me a deposit in the amount of the cost of the tool. Some due and others just say never mind. I worked to hard to get all the tools I have and aren't going to loose em.

YES!

Im not lending anything period anymore. Im sick of being taken advantage of!

This person is someone I thought I could trust.

Lesson learned. Im gonna talk to his mother,he's a young guy who is in need of a life lesson.Years ago I would have gone head/body on him and let him keep the tools after I broke his face.

It's not even so much losing the tools, what really sucks is the feeling of having someone you trusted play you for a fool. It's like, do you really think so little of me?

The only consolation is you found this out sooner than later, and now you are aware of how things really are. Just let him go, you don't need sleazy people in your life. Also I always tell myself, a person like that will never really prosper, what goes around comes around!

needaresto, do you mind if i borrow a hammer!?????????? lol

Yeah, I hear all of ya'll. I've hade the same thing happen from time to time. My dad gave me some advise when I was a young teenager. He said when your life is said and done, you will be able to count your true friends on one hand. So far, that had been the truth.

Yeah, I hear all of ya'll. I've hade the same thing happen from time to time. My dad gave me some advise when I was a young teenager. He said when your life is said and done, you will be able to count your true friends on one hand. So far, that had been the truth.

My best friend told me over twenty years ago that you should only have about 3 or 4 friends. They will take up a lot of your time and you won't have time for more of them. Your dad was right. So was my buddy.

itsss ok,can i borrow 20 buckssss.I know how you feel,me I dont for get the bad ones.Thats why my sig says once bitten twice shy.I am also a White snake fan.

340plot; you can borrow it long enough to bust my "friends" kneecaps.You dont even need to clean the gore off it when your done!

David,thanks once again for having good advise.I can always count on you for that!

The sad truth is yes,this kid helped me out with pulling the 400 and in return I bought him a tool kit for all the work he did. I guess it wasnt enough to him. So I kind of feel double shafted.

I know his mother very well,have been well aquainted for some years now and she is a very nice lady. His father left when he was 5 and is apparently quite an azzhole. I took him under my wing when he was about 16 or so,tried to be a big brother to him. I guess the apple doesnt fall far from the tree after all.

Since he is a young guy without a good father maybe it's too soon to write him off completely and it would be worthwhile to talk to his mother. Just a thought.

Hey guy's...... I know the feeling, I think its happened to alot of us people. A friend of mine owns an excellent Engine Machine Shop and he Quotes this statment " Every once in awhile you have to throw a few friend's away and get a few new one's" This guy is 75 years old and has been grinding and polishing cranks for over 55 year's and is still going to work every day.

When stuff like this would happen my Dad would say "It was cost of finding out that person's true nature."

How much would you pay to find out for sure if someone was a jerk, scammer, liar, etc.?

In this case it cost you some carbide cutters, not cheap but at least you know what kind of person you're dealing with.

Locks keep good people honest....and old man once told me that.

Friends, hmmm. Yeah I learn long ago how that works, was this dude--this is way back before cell phones, etc---he was alright I thought, I had a dirt bike and used to hang out at this big field doing jumps and riding fast down the trails.

Used to puff weed on breaks, well he would show up, dude I don't have anything can I share, sure I go. This went on for weeks. Well a few months later I go flying past there and there he was puffing away with some other dudes. I go making a U turn and plan on joining in--I was out at the time also.

Dude goes, hey we don't have enough for you, I'm like what, I got you buzzed many times, hes like oh well.

Pissed me off so bad I never forgot it and watch who I trust, not very many people. Yeah some people are good but many just don't care about being fair

I can "amen" to several things I read here....

My friends are the type that are all for me coming over to help THEM with whatever they need, but the favor is NEVER returned. So, I just stopped helping anybody other than my brother.

I sold a car that got 30mpg to a "friend" of many years and gave him one hell of a great price, like 20 percent less than what it was worth.

Well, when I offered to buy HIS vehicle, I heard "well so and so will give me $300 more for it".

What IS it with the selfish a$$holes in this world?

Dr Phil said it perfectly when he stated that there are 2 types of people...givers and takers. Those of us that did all the driving and work for nothing, or got kicked to the curb obviously are the givers and those who took all of that and didn't do anything in return..well you can figure that one out.

-
Back