need wheel fitment help!. 65 cuda

-

subzero05

Reaction score
hi all- I cant seem to get a definite answer on this so if anyone knows it would be a HUGE help. Simple question- can 17x8 wheels in mopar pattern FIT on the front of our cars?. I'm sure they will work on the back, but I need to know about the front if they will fit in there?...thanks in advance!

Yes. Search threads on "Bullitt" rims, and "that modern look".

Attachments

• 20130426_164112.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 262
Wheel SizingWheel sizing can vary based on rim diameter and model of car, however there are some general guidelines to help you choose wheels.Overall, the outer tie rod end limits backspacing on 14-16' rims to 3.25" with Wilwood brakes.17" and larger diameter wheels will clear the tie rod end and allow much wider wheels to be used.A-bodiesThe A-body cars have the least amount of fender clearance, and as such, are more sensitive to sizing. In general, you should limit the outside width to 2.5", and add this to the above backspace number. This means in 14-16" sizes, a 5.75" wide rim with 3.25" of backspacing will fit without worry. We have seen some steel rims fit, such as 14X6, but the inside shape of the rim will determine how close it comes to the outer tie rod end.In 17" and bigger wheels, the inner width can be far greater, allowing common 17X8/5.72 backspace Mustang Bullet wheels to fit easily - these are the Torque Thrust-styled wheels that have become very common. They're also an economical choice, typically about half the cost of aftermarket wheels.Obviously, using 17" rims opens the door for many tire widths that otherwise would not fit. There's another benefit not seldom mentioned - scrub radius. With the larger offset rims, scrub radius is reduced substantially, drastically reducing feedback to the driver, steering effort, and steering forces at the spindle, making for a smoother, more comfortable, and more predictable feel. This is a major design parameter with most new cars, and one of the primary reasons, along with increased stability, that new cars have wider suspensions and wheels with lots of backspacing.Although 18" and bigger rims begin to have that modern car look, 17" rims will still maintain the old "musclecar look" provided care is taken with tires. There are so many tires on the market now for 17" rims, almost any look and style desired is possible. Using 17X8 rims at all four corners, you can achieve an easy "pro-touring look" by using 245/45/17 tires. If the classic Musclecar look is desired, you can run 225/50/17's on the front, and 275/50/17's on the rear

A 17x8 is pretty big for an early-a. It really depends on what brakes, backspace of the wheels and tire height.

BBP conversion with 17 X 8's

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 195
Yes they fit with bbp discs. These are 17x8 95 Mustang Cobra wheels. Tires are 245/45r17s all around. The rears need at least 1 inch spacers though, mine did with an 8.25 a-body rear end.

Attachments

• CAM00716.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 210
Another place that you might find helpful is pro touring mopar.com

this is great news..thanks everyone!.
I'll get a set ordered up.

-
Back