Neutral Safety Switch wiring

-

Hammer

Reaction score
So I'm about 35% into rewiring my demon but have a simple question and a strange problem. The question is: on my wiring instructions it has the middle of the three wores on the Neutral safety switch going to the starting solenoid. But it does not tell you where to run the other two wires. I'm assuming one is for the back-up lights and one is ground: but what's what?
And as for my strange issue: so my new harness is pretty much made for GM switches, column, ect. So I'm spliced a GM column connector to my Mopar one and got GM dimmer and headlight switches installed. But when I hit the turn signals, the hazards come on. The hazards still work when the switch on the column is pulled. And I SWEAR I DO NOT have the wires crossed on the column where I spliced the wires. Anyone have any good insight??

The middle terminal of the NS switch IS the neutral switch. the outer two are the backup lamps

The center pin of the NSS goes to one of the push--on terminals of the firewall mount starter relay. Makes no difference which. The other terminal comes from the "start" wire from the key, used to be yellow.

Be careful with these "GM" based wiring. Your Mopar has a few differences

The coil bypass circuit on Ford/ GM is on the starter solenoid. But Mopars have a separate bypass FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH, used to be brown, or "ign 2." This runs directly to the coil, and you'll probably either have to run a separate wire, or there is a couple of other ways.

What brand and part no. harness did you buy?

And, do you have an original diagram?

Sorry for the delay. The wiring harness is an E-Z wiring harness. Don't know the part #. I got it off ebay. And even though ebay has a lot of crappy products; I have bought an E-Z harness before and it worked out ok. Then again it was on a GM car. I DO have the diagram for the original harness and there is a brown IGN2 wire. But I don't see a need for another wire like you were saying as the harnesses instructions come with a MOPAR to GM conversion for the ignition switch and the lights and signals. And I have the brown wire accounted for(going to the pink IGN SW IGN wire) That being said; the problem with the hazards coming on is quite strange. An other thoughts on that?

Do they all have the same brightness when flashing? That is are you sure it is the "big" filament blinking and not the tail/ park? You could either have a shorted bulb, or a cross in the harness somewhere that is interconnecting the tail/ park and turn circuits

Do they all have the same brightness when flashing? That is are you sure it is the "big" filament blinking and not the tail/ park? You could either have a shorted bulb, or a cross in the harness somewhere that is interconnecting the tail/ park and turn circuits

They all have the same brightness. Did some more troubleshooting and have narrowed the problem to the parking lights circuit, and here's why: with all lights hooked up and none on-hit the turn sigs and the hazards come on. Turn the parking lights on(and they DO come on) and then hitting the signals does nothing(front or back) and headlights on is the same(but again; they DO work). So I unhooked the park wires and left the turn signals wired hooked up. Hit the signal lever, and all the signals work. But if I have the lights on, WITH a signal flasher going, and touch a Park wire to it, it stops flashing and just stays on. So obviously the park light circuit is all jack'd up. But I haven't the slightest clue where to start solving the issue...and it looks like its just you and me on this one Dart; so don't give up on me now!

:hippy2:

What year is your car? Do you know if your side marker lamps are the type that flash with the signals? (They would have two INSULATED connections, and no ground)

Detail how your side marker lamps are hooked up, and do they work?

Is it possible that you have wrong bulbs in the signal/ stop lamps? What are the bulb no's?

What year is your car? Do you know if your side marker lamps are the type that flash with the signals? (They would have two INSULATED connections, and no ground)

Detail how your side marker lamps are hooked up, and do they work?

Is it possible that you have wrong bulbs in the signal/ stop lamps? What are the bulb no's?

Its a 1971 demon. The side markers have one weatherpack connector each, with 2 wires a piece. I don't even have the side lamps hooked up at all! Never got that far. It occured to me that I might have the wrong bulbs a few days ago. They are 1157's. But the harness does the same thing when I hook up some LED lights that I fitted in the grille. So I don't think its the bulbs.

1157 will work, but a short between the two filaments can cause stuff like this. I would think you'd have to have TWO bad bulbs to cause this problem

1157 will work, but a short between the two filaments can cause stuff like this. I would think you'd have to have TWO bad bulbs to cause this problem

Yeah, it can't be the bulbs. They are all new(with new sockets as well) and they all do the same thing on all four corners. PLUS I hooked up some spare sockets and some other new 1157's I had layin' around and got the same results. I switched flashers around(didn't change anything).

-
Back