Never, ever do this (DON"T DO IT!)

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Just a heads up people.
I get an email this morning and this is what it says.
(I highlighted the really important part in red)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Confirmation of System Security Update[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dear Customer:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We are writing to confirm that we have updated our security systems [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]You need to update your account details in order to continue using our service. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Your account security is important to us, so we appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.We will close all accounts that are not updated as soon as possible [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Click the link below and enter your login information on the following page to confirm your Billing Information records..[/FONT]
Click here to verify your account information.
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Chase Fraud Department [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The first clue I had was that a bank will NEVER send you an email asking you to click a link and enter your login information.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The second clue was that this email came in on an email address that my bank does not have.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Third was when moused over, the address is some strange BS address that has nothing to do with my bank.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://case.public.auth.new.verific...?http://academic.shu.edu/npo/Bibliography.php[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fourth was that the page that the link takes you to doesn't even work, so they went to all this trouble to try to get me to give them my bank login and password, but the page where they expected me to do it won't load.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]When I see this stuff I investigate the addresses and report them to my bank, and to the university that is referenced in the www address as this is bank fraud and attempted theft.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]DON'T EVER FALL FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Use your head, and don't do everything an email or a website tells you to do without thinking about it.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]If you want to be sure your bank did,or didn't send it call them.[/FONT]

I've learned not to do ANY banking over the internet. Even the BEST internet security leaves you vulnerable.

I was hit for over $10K due to fraud. Now, ALL my banking is done in person. If something happens within the banks system, it's THEIR responsibility to fix it.

Frankie is right on. Also never click a link sent to you in an email. If you think there is a problem go directly to you known good site and check it there. Most people now are getting away from online banking because of the problems.

I was at a job yesterday for a local company, and while I was working on getting thier computer cleaned up and getting decent security software on it the phone rings.
The secretary says' "I don't know, but there is sombody here working on it right now"
She hands me the phone and says "Microsoft says were are downloading illegal content and they can fix it for us"

I laughed and said "Let me show you how to handle calls like that"
I took the phone and asked the person what thier name and address was so I could turn them in to the FBI fraud investigation unit, and that I already had the phone number.
Well, the guy immediatly hangs up.
The current average charge if you allow some random Ahole caller to remote into your computer and supposedly fix it for you is $300.00
What they are more likely up to is setting your computer up to forward everything you type on the keyboard to them, so they can get even more from you.

(just another well known scam)

Just got another email from "PayPal" Whoever this is thinks I'm stupid enough to believe that I must "update my information" with PayPal by filling out a form they sent me.

Nice try, Ukrainian scammers!!!!

I get phone calls from some foreign accent caller saying " Microsoft Partners "? and something about my home computer. I just tell them I don't own a home computer.
They hang up.
I do wish they would kindly apologize for disturbing me.

I'm not very computer literate. That's why I let my friend Thurmond Danforth III, my Nigerian friend, handle most of my online accounts. He seems to be able to spot these scams better than me.

I'm not very computer literate. That's why I let my friend Thurmond Danforth III, my Nigerian friend, handle most of my online accounts. He seems to be able to spot these scams better than me.

I think I've been contacted by his associates regarding some overseas lottery winnings that are waiting for me. I really should get that taken care of. They're very eager to assist me and the fees seem pretty nominal.

I was at a job yesterday for a local company, and while I was working on getting thier computer cleaned up and getting decent security software on it the phone rings.
The secretary says' "I don't know, but there is sombody here working on it right now"
She hands me the phone and says "Microsoft says were are downloading illegal content and they can fix it for us"

I laughed and said "Let me show you how to handle calls like that"
I took the phone and asked the person what thier name and address was so I could turn them in to the FBI fraud investigation unit, and that I already had the phone number.
Well, the guy immediatly hangs up.
The current average charge if you allow some random Ahole caller to remote into your computer and supposedly fix it for you is $300.00
What they are more likely up to is setting your computer up to forward everything you type on the keyboard to them, so they can get even more from you.

(just another well known scam)

My sister just fell for one of these pop ups. She swore it was Microsoft and went thru with it. I know you didn't say anything about a pop up, but similar thing. "Click here and we will fix all of the 2179 issues on your pc for only $99.00. Just give us access and your money."

I have been tellin them for years not to do this stuff, but they never learn.

My sister just fell for one of these pop ups. She swore it was Microsoft and went thru with it. I know you didn't say anything about a pop up, but similar thing. "Click here and we will fix all of the 2179 issues on your pc for only $99.00. Just give us access and your money."

I have been tellin them for years not to do this stuff, but they never learn.
Funny you say that. A guy at work was on his laptop and a popup came up stating he had a virus another guy said click that you have a virus. He clicked up and boom laptop was done it took the IT department a few days to get the thing cleaned up and working again.

That's the thing. You should KNOW how your virus protection WORKS, what it does and how it looks. I have a different outlook, and I don't mean "Microsoft Outlook." I use Linux.

No, it's not immune from a few viruses. But I have not found them YET, and WINDOWS viruses don't affect Linux at all.

:wack:And you loaded the live link here?:wack:

I posted it in case someone wanted to check the mouse over properties.
Why did you click it and enter your information after all this discussion? :D

There, I fixed it so you wouldn't be tempted.

That's the thing. You should KNOW how your virus protection WORKS, what it does and how it looks.QUOTE]

THAT is actually huge part of the problem with people is that they don't know the difference between a legit program and a malware infection.

"Well it said Microsoft at the top of it so I did what it told me to do" :D

Sometimes it's hard to not say "You are not anywhere nearly important enough for Miscrosoft to give a damn about".

No I didn't but some knucklehead like me might have.:D

You are right, and I probably shouldn't have let it stay in the post.

You guys would get a chuckle out of this page I did to mess with one of my wife's gullible friends.
It is fully functional (credit card, paypal and all)
It actually crossed my mind once to sell it on Ebay.:D

It is totally safe (I swear on my Dart), and feel free to make one of the payments if you wish. :D
Note the disclaimers at the bottom of the page as they are my favorite part of the page.

http://www.letsgocomputers.com/karmafix.htm

-
Back