Never saw this before!

-

JDMopar

Reaction score
I got my 273 back from having it cleaned, and was priming it so it doesn’t flash rust. I just noticed the indentions in the drivers side of the block. I wonder if they cast them that way to clear a PS box in early A’s? I’ve had a few 273’s before, but never noticed this before. I have never seen it on 318, 340, or 360 blocks, but none of those ever came in early A’s. Weird!
CB240F9C-2112-4456-916B-6C1A708544AD.jpeg

I don't think mine had that indentation. But then again I haven't had my 273 in my 65 Barracuda for many years. I still have the original block in my basement, I may have to do down and take a look.

I got my 273 back from having it cleaned, and was priming it so it doesn’t flash rust. I just noticed the indentions in the drivers side of the block. I wonder if they cast them that way to clear a PS box in early A’s? I’ve had a few 273’s before, but never noticed this before. I have never seen it on 318, 340, or 360 blocks, but none of those ever came in early A’s. Weird!
View attachment 1715814764
I think all 273s had it.

yup. its there for the (power?) steering box. Remember this motor was made for the Valiant! Narrow frame and all. They also made the intake single plane to keep the height under the hood line, not for performance.

From Hot Rod Magazine, December 1963, article about the "New Valiant-Dart 273 V8!" Note the last sentence of the caption: "Notch on left bank gives the steering gear clearance."

273 block.JPG

By the way, my 65 Barracuda's been 340 powered since the spring of 1973, and the steering gear clears the notchless 340 block just fine. But then I have manual steering. No idea how well or not power steering would clear without the notch.

By the way, my 65 Barracuda's been 340 powered since the spring of 1973, and the steering gear clears the notchless 340 block just fine. But then I have manual steering. No idea how well or not power steering would clear without the notch.

Factory may have done this anticipating broken motor mounts ?
Or to prevent superheating the box....

Not related to 273 ci. clearance theory. Just a heads up I recently dropped a 360 ci. in my 64 and had a issue with the stock early A drivers side exhaust manifold. The 360 had the desirable 308 casting heads but with the air injection port feature below each exhaust port. I had to grind away some of the added material from the casting due to interference with the exhaust manifold. Only the rear port on drivers side. I found this out after I dropped the engine in and was a hassle to grind it in the car. Yes I drilled and tapped the smog holes then installed set screws to plug them. Went from 318 to 360 and was well worth it!
PS I have manual steering so can't comment on any power steering issue.

I've taken dozens of small blocks apart--mostly 318s and 360s--but have definitely never seen that before so it's probably confined to the early 'A' bodies before the debut of the all-new 1967 models.

-
Back