New 383 Build for My Son's '68 Dart

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
And the adventure begins....

Here's the freshly machined block on the stand. Need to wash it out and get the freeze plugs installed, and mike the bores to verify the shop's work. Then the real fun starts....

Attachments

• Block on Stand 7-13-13 s.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,430
Nice! New builds are always fun. I'm in the middle of one, myself. What are your plans with the build?

Not impressed. It's sittin all alone on the stand with nuthin bein done. Get crackin.

Keep the pics coming, I love seeing a build come together. I'm attracted to new shiny things lol.

Sorry for the delay. We had a minor setback installing the crank. Found out the set of main bearings we had were defective (were .001 under spec, per Federal Mogul's spec). We were at .003+ on most of the journals, and miking the journals showed them to be right in the middle of the spec. So we called Federal Mogul (Sealed Power) and talked to them. They provided the shell thickness, and when we miked the shells they were all thin by .0008 to .001. So Summit took them back as defective and is sending us a new set. First time I've ever had that happen.... In the meantime we got the freeze plugs installed, and we're gonna fit the rings so they're ready.

Crank's in. .0018 - .002 on the bearings. Turns with less than 25 in.lbs (that's as low as my torque wrench goes....)

Attachments

• Crankshaft 7-23-13s.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,264
Cool and looks good. I am also building a mild 383 for my 67 Cuda.
What piston and cam combo are you going with?

Nice. Now that's more like it. Don't be fallin behind like that anymore. lol

playin tunes in the garage always helps get more work done

here's a .38 special song for ya

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLM8J5Ife4U"]Rockin' into the Night .38 Special with lyrics onscreen - YouTube[/ame]

i'm impressed with that tool box, wow!

Harbor Freight, $349 on sale..... Got 2 old Craftsman boxes sitting next to it too.....

Here's one of the pistons. KB162's with skirts coated by Swain Tech. We spent this afternoon fitting the rings to the pistons. Unfortunately, the 2nd compression ring on the No. 5 piston cracked while trying to install it (PLINK!!!...). Split in half before it even opened enough to fit over the piston. So a new one's on order. We'll go ahead and install the other 7 pistons while we wait for the new ring....

Attachments

• Piston and Rod 7-24-13.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,162
seems kinda tight, i would want .002-.003. what are you gonna do with the motor?

Cool and looks good. I am also building a mild 383 for my 67 Cuda.
What piston and cam combo are you going with?

KB162's and Comp Cams XE262H. Calculated 9.8:1 static compression, 8.2:1 dynamic compression. If you extrapolate from Comp Cam's dyno sheet done on a 350 Ch**y with 9.5:1, we're hoping for around 380hp and 425-450 ft.lbs. But time will tell... Regardless, I don't think the 245's on the back of the Dart will be around for long after the engine's in.....

seems kinda tight, i would want .002-.003. what are you gonna do with the motor?

Street performance, basically. Eventually some autocrossing once the chassis gets caught up a little. Car is already lowered with Hotchkiss springs, 2 inch drop spindles, 11.75 discs and Hellwig front bar.... It's not intended to be a high-winder. The cam we picked for this car is used up at 5500.

7 of 8 pistons are in. Still waiting on the replacement rings for the #5 piston. Also got the cam installed and degreed.

Attachments

• 7-28-13 Left s.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,154
  • 7-28-13 Right s.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,131
That looks Good! Hate losing a ring on,install. Looks good.What camshaft ,and heads?

Just askin......how did you break the ring? Are you using a ring tool? If you are, that's the reason. Lookin good!

Just askin......how did you break the ring? Are you using a ring tool? If you are, that's the reason...

Really? I've never had this problem...

Definitely looking sharp though-did you advance the cam at all, or straight up?

Yes. Really on the ring tool. Ring tools are hard as hell on rings. It's MUCH easier on them to spiral them on. With the ring tool, they are allowed only to open. That stresses the hell out of them. Spiraling them on doesn't stress them out nearly as much. I've rung thousands of pistons and that's my opinion and I'm stickin with it.

Yes, we were using a ring tool. My philosophy on that is that if the ring cant' stand the expansion to go over the piston, it probably won't survive the compression when it goes into the cylinder. And I'd rather find out while its still outside the motor.....

As mentioned before, the cam is a Comp Cams XE262H, installed straight up on the 106 degree intake centerline.

Heads are Edelbrock E-Street with the 75cc chambers for 9.8:1 compression with the pistons .004 in the deck and Edelbrock head gaskets (.038 compressed).

-
Back