New 383 Build for My Son's '68 Dart

-
Latest update: We've been busy hooking up the various connections, re-routing some wiring, fabricating a new exhaust system, etc, etc.... Our OEM trans dipstick tube leaks badly, and it was hard up against the firewall, so we ordered a Lokar flexible dipstick tube. Also waiting on a radiator fan, since ours has seen better days, and the flex fan we ordered first arrived with a big label on it to not use on engines over 250 C.I. or for high performance/hp engines. Also decided to file off a corner of the p/s box that was touching a header tube. And we found a leak on the p/s return fitting, so we replaced the o-rings and will try again on that one. The p/s pump can be primed nicely using a drill and an old belt...... Hopefully, we'll start the engine this weekend....

For a minute there I thought I was looking at a Chevy engine compartment with that convolute tubing.

For a minute there I thought I was looking at a Chevy engine compartment with that convolute tubing.

I have seen where a lot of people bash that stuff. Never used it myself, but what would you recommend?

Oh yeah. Like I am gonna pay 13 bucks for tape. That's a hoot when regular vinyl electrical tape will look the same and do the same job. I gotta eat, ya know? lol

Thanks for the link btw.

Ya, I know how you feel but the vinyl electrical tape will turn to a gooey mess.

Nice car either way.

Did you get the valvetrain noise sorted out? Just adjustment?

Which pushrods did you end up going with? 5/16" or 3/8"?

How is the 2000 stall w/3.23 combo working out?

Thanks.

Well, after checking and re-checking all the preload and side clearances, we have come to the conclusion that the valvetrain noise is the nature of the cam, a Comp Cams XE262, which after a lot of research it seems the XE series have a rep for being noisy due to very steep closing ramps. The car certainly runs well, so I guess we'll just accept the noise as part of the package. It's not objectionable, just more than I've seen with other engines.

The 2000 stall convertor is OK, certainly fine for this daily driver. If this car was more of just a weekend toy, we might have gone with a slightly higher stall.

Here's a short video of the car running with open headers, which my son couldn't wait to do.....the camera microphone really doesn't do it justice...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7T5eS0sco&feature=youtu.be"]Open Headers 12 14 13 - YouTube[/ame]

One Year Anniversary...!!

Well, the 383 has been up and running for just over a year now. Not even a hiccup. We replaced the Holley 600 with a Demon 625, which we're really happy with. We also added a cold-air intake, which made a HUGE difference in how the car runs, especially on hot days (and here in Florida we get a lot of those....).

The new big project for my son's Christmas holiday is converting the Dart over to a 4-speed.

Attachments

• Cold Air Intake.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 246
  • Dart Autocross 8-14.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 248
Awesome ride. I love how it turned out.

Great job on the 383 .Sounds really good. Iv'e done one for my GTS similar to yours. Repainting the engine compartment now to be ready for install. Hopefully in the next month.

-
Back