New 408 build finally started

-
A37CD20C-D9A5-43AC-9C12-FAA3C20FBCB2.jpeg
C062E705-2199-45D4-8246-82DF12A01710.jpeg
BEBFD9E7-F295-46DC-A320-9872F945D69E.jpeg
Ok I dummied these head on with the new rockers today before I hopped on cutting my grass before it rains again. Now I have something I can work with and room to spare. Should be drilling some holes next week if I can get out of my shop chair.

Can you post the center to center measurements between the intake and exhaust holes after you drill them?
Thanks in advance.

Can you post the center to center measurements between the intake and exhaust holes after you drill them?
Thanks in advance.

There’s not really going to be a center to center because I’m just punching a hole down through with my drill press and elongating the hole with a porting burr as needed. And a slanted hole it will be. My measurements would do to no good.

There’s not really going to be a center to center because I’m just punching a hole down through with my drill press and elongating the hole with a porting burr as needed. And a slanted hole it will be. My measurements would do to no good.

Ok, I was just kind of wanting a starting point, I wish I would have measured what I needed before I got rid of my W2s.
I have a set of w2 rockers , and an old set of Procomps. If I weren't so lazy, I would get something done...

Ok, I was just kind of wanting a starting point, I wish I would have measured what I needed before I got rid of my W2s.
I have a set of w2 rockers , and an old set of Procomps. If I weren't so lazy, I would get something done...

Tell me about it. I had my middle name changed to “lazy-m-er-fulker”

BA8274EF-EB7C-4430-932F-67B5F978F3E7.jpeg
642D7009-610C-46F1-95BE-9D82CEBE888B.jpeg
Ok finally some forward progress. I know a few members (yellow rose) and others were interested in using W2 (.750 offset) or other offsets to their Edelbrock or Speedmaster heads. My advice from someone traveling this road don’t go crazy as it’s not an easy road traveled. Going backwards if I remember right you can go slightly over 1.010 kissing a bronze tubed hole. I’m at 1.300 with a solid aluminum rod and relocated pushrod holes. Without a mill using a drill press like I did is rough. The first hole I did was covered earlier drilling into the port and having me reweld the hole and order another set of custom 1.6 Harland Sharp rockers and moving it over. The first set were .350 and the second set was .550 offset. The second hole I drilled grabbed the tube as it broke through and ripped the epoxy lose. F me and I stopped working on them for two plus weeks. Me and my great ideas.

FD093CD6-B797-41C4-B560-2339ED7A93B3.jpeg
402FF2BD-5905-45F8-8161-53124278E457.jpeg
D07C4024-4A58-47D1-A222-CDDDFBF3ADC6.jpeg
As I told most of you before this job with the bigger port opening was planned around one of my Indy intakes so a couple of years ago I redrilled it with an Edelbrock pattern to match these heads. My friend had offered months ago to punch the new pushrod holes on his Bridgeport but stubborn John said ohhh no I can do it. Well John was wrong again. Lol. I retubbed the hole and drove over to his house. Laying out the needed angle we soon discovered when moving the pushrod holes over we were going to hit the Edelbrock intake holes so he said order some 3/8-1 inch aluminum bolts from Fastenal in Indy, locktite them in and we would lay out the new pattern. He’s a picture of how much aluminum rod I have to grind back out.

D37891E6-90CD-4074-B153-3AC413041DC2.jpeg
6682726B-B204-42FF-9C6A-AC13BA88B36F.jpeg
8F991810-2E6D-41E1-98DA-3A8625697B3A.jpeg
So for 4.5 hours Friday night and 5 hours Saturday night my buddy and I knocked the heads of the aluminum bolts and faced them, laid out the new Indy intake pattern, drilled then, I hand tapped them, then we set up one head to relocate the new pushrod holes. Each head needed reset twice for the four holes on each head. We milled a 5/8 hole so now I will debuted everything by hand and test fit each and every (8) hole with rockers, test springs, and pushrods. Would I recommend doing this. Aaaaaa NO. Will I do it again? Probably because I have the other set of .350 rockers. I would probably open the port to a max of 1.150 and knowing the 5 degree pushrod angle could probably do it on my drill press. And shirt between the port and stock Edelbrock intake pattern but I would do some port measurements on my Super Victor intake.

Not many guys have a set of Edelbrock heads that flow about as good as a very good set of Indy 360-1 heads but then again most guys don’t require that much flow.

What's your time worth? Seems reasonable to me. I spent the day rebuilding door hinges and scraping barnacles off extra doors to have a good set to mount on the car. If I paid someone to do that, it would be $1000 so far and one of the doors still needs repair. I like how you go about this stuff. If you have some basic skills, equipment, and detirmination, you can accomplish quite a bit.

What's your time worth? Seems reasonable to me. I spent the day rebuilding door hinges and scraping barnacles off extra doors to have a good set to mount on the car. If I paid someone to do that, it would be $1000 so far and one of the doors still needs repair. I like how you go about this stuff. If you have some basic skills, equipment, and detirmination, you can accomplish quite a bit.

My time is free and I hate to ask for help but since he offered took him up on it. I try to help him out too and sold him a flowbench at a really fair price. We enjoy fishing together too so it helps us both to get some relaxing time together. I get frustrated more now than I did 40 years ago but I guess that happens. Aches and pains don’t help either. Tuesday I get a cortisone shot in both knees so hopefully by Friday I see some relief.

I suggest that PBR is much more motivated than he lets on!!!! LOL. Because there is NO WAY I’m doing all that work. And I have mental issues about leaving power on the table.

I would like the mention John does damn fine work. He just does more work that I’m willing to do!!!

That kinda work is why God made W2 heads.

C8412E51-7098-4672-8F80-2DF2EEAA688F.jpeg
E4B994DF-64B6-4A48-A08C-D6B6AE9B2172.jpeg
449E62C7-B023-4DD9-90B1-624A8AD5BC2D.jpeg
Wow finally back making some forward progress. Been trying to get moving and motivated and in shape for three 20,000.00 races the third week of August. Working on other people’s stuff is motivating me too. I finally opened up the port I ripped the aluminum tube out trying to drill pushrod holes with my drill press and with one head clearances for pushrods I can now do this one and move on. I know I can hit the 330 cfm mark but it’s time to move on with one more flow test. 227 plus and I’ll do some more Indy intake flow testing to see if it holds close to that number. It’s time to finish this dog gone engine and get it installed so I can rebuild my 422

View attachment 1715563206 View attachment 1715563207 View attachment 1715563208 Wow finally back making some forward progress. Been trying to get moving and motivated and in shape for three 20,000.00 races the third week of August. Working on other people’s stuff is motivating me too. I finally opened up the port I ripped the aluminum tube out trying to drill pushrod holes with my drill press and with one head clearances for pushrods I can now do this one and move on. I know I can hit the 330 cfm mark but it’s time to move on with one more flow test. 227 plus and I’ll do some more Indy intake flow testing to see if it holds close to that number. It’s time to finish this dog gone engine and get it installed so I can rebuild my 422
Really could have used you few years ago. I believe you can see the air. lol I know you can hear it, but fess up you can see it too.:thumbsup:

Wow this project really came to a dead stop. Time to start finishing it up next week so I can get it in my duster for race season.

-
Back