New 440-Source Timing cover - Worry

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
First of all, I've read that 383 and 440 timing covers were interchangeable, so I picked one up from 440-Source while buying some other things.

But after install, I'm noticing that the bottom of the timing cover is about 3/32" short of meeting flush with the bottom of the block.

I'd rather not use silicon etc to fill a gap like that, so should I just pick up another oil pan gasket and use a portion to fill the gap? Buy another timing cover from another distributor? Other options?

IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_5601.JPG

almost looks like the difference on the left is worse then on the right, or is it just the way the pic is?

Thats a miss.the 400 i resealed last winter had a perfect match.
How could it be out so much?

Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll just send it back and see how the next one looks.

Ask if you can send them you photos.Man they do tell the story.

I talked with Ken at 440. He gave excellent customer service. We went back and forth for a couple of days with measurements and pictures. Eventually he realized the ones he has in stock were the exact same size as the ones they sent me, so he just credited me the cost of the cover and I went with someone else.

I purchased a Proform cover off of Amazon... came with the seal installed and free shipping (Prime). This is a much more substantial unit, and fits perfectly flush!

Thanks everyone.
Jason

IMG_5681.JPG

IMG_5682.JPG

I hear ya. I'll talk to someone before I order.
Just curious, were the bolt holes offset? If so, they may have missed the mark punching the dowel holes, a better & easier problem for them to fix than the whole
stamping/assy. being wrong!!!:eek:

Just curious, were the bolt holes offset? If so, they may have missed the mark punching the dowel holes, a better & easier problem for them to fix than the whole
stamping/assy. being wrong!!!:eek:

The bolt holes, as well as the dowel pin holes, were all perfectly aligned. I should probably be an above average customer, and online buddy... and spend some time taking overall measurements of both pieces. That way 440 can fix this with their supplier, and nobody else will order one of these.

Arg... So the latest... is that the timing cover gasket that I ordered from Summit, which came laid across the top of my new Performer RPM intake manifold... is all bent/cracked on one side. Will this be the source of potential leaks?

IMG_5710.JPG

Looking at it again, it appears that the laminated strip may have been spec'd to be the same as the flange on the cover, that looks like it might be close to right if so. The
instructions may have gotten skewed in translation,..:rolleyes:..............I once went to install an ignition switch in a 1st gen Taurus, and it was perfect, for a 7/8 scale Chinese
replica!!!!

Arg... So the latest... is that the timing cover gasket that I ordered from Summit, which came laid across the top of my new Performer RPM intake manifold... is all bent/cracked on one side. Will this be the source of potential leaks?

View attachment 1715093022
Depends on how You feel about silicone,:D, but I'd make 'em send another one, if You can't wait..............well I don't know where You'd walk in & get one anyway...........

Depends on how You feel about silicone,:D, but I'd make 'em send another one, if You can't wait..............well I don't know where You'd walk in & get one anyway...........

Yeah I don't want a sloppy mess if I don't have to have one. I just ordered one through O'Reilly and it will be in tomorrow so that's what I'll do. The waiting is the frustrating part... especially when you were all set to go.

Thanks!

-
Back