New 64 Dart owner

-

robjkc

Reaction score
Hello! Well, I did it, I bought my first Mopar. It was sort of by accident as I was looking at a 65 falcon while bidding online at an auction. The falcon went too high for me so I found a little blue dart going the next day. All I had to go by were a few small photos. Well, I lost that auction by $50. A few days later I called the auction house and asked if they knew who bought the car. To make a long story short, I ended up buying if from the high bidder.

Now there's just one problem. The car is 700 miles away in Atlanta GA. This week I tried getting a transport company to pick it up but no takers so far. So today I bought a plane ticket so I'll fly down and drive it back. Should be a fun road trip! Any suggestions before I take off would be appreciated.

Anyway, I just have some photos that were shot by the owner. I can't wait to get the car in my possession. I've already met some great Dart owners over the web and have located a few parts that I need.

I've also been reading this forum to get some ideas of what I want to do with the car. I'm not a big do-it-yourself-er but I want to try with this car. The first thing I'd like to do is the disc brake swap (new or old, power or manual, 4 piston or single, my head is already spinning). I'm sure I'll figure it out with some help.

dart4.jpg

1964%20dodge%20dart%20gt%20008.JPG

dart5.jpg

dart6.jpg

s2etmX8lP7u0Yw1f0fKTSA

Thanks! Hopefully it looks as good in person. I'm a little nervous about driving it so far on the first trip. The seller said that the only thing he could see wrong with it was the gas gauge not working. I'll just be sure to have some extra in the trunk.

Hot dam and a hearty welcome. Man, did you ever done good or what !

Thanks for the hearty welcome! You have a nice looking 65! I really like that body style.

I LIKE it! Just take it easy and I'm sure you will make it. Nice A body!

Thanks for the complement and advice! It's funny, one week ago I didn't even know what an A body was.

Welcome and congras nice car buddy!:) I too have a 64 Dart GT since 1974... see you around..

Welcome, that Dart is a beauty. I bet it will make the trip just fine. Much better car than any Falcon....talk about sloppy steering, ugh.

Welcome and congras nice car buddy! I too have a 64 Dart GT since 1974... see you around..

Thanks! I'd like to hear what you've done to it and see some pictures. That's great that you've kept it so long. I'd like to do the same.

Welcome, that Dart is a beauty. I bet it will make the trip just fine. Much better car than any Falcon....talk about sloppy steering, ugh.

Yeah, I had a 65 Falcon 4 door, that I sold about a month ago, nice car but you're right it was slopping steering. Plus, I didn't want to put money into a 4 door.

I plan on keeping this Dart for a while.

Nice score, robjkc!!! Beautiful little Dart. First thing you gotta do when you get back home is shoot some more pics and post them on FABO.
Again, really sweet looking little ride you got! The /6 is almost indestructable and is gonna get you good mileage too. Enjoy the drive home.

Welcome and very nice Dart. If the car runs half as good as it looks you should be able to drive it 7000 miles with no issues. What a great find. I think I'm a little jealous too:)

Nice car.

I would take it to a shop and have the front end checked before driving any great distances. loosing a ball joint at highway speeds could ruin your day.

Thanks everyone for the great welcome! Although I had already planned out my route, it looks like I won't have to drive it back after all. I got a call this morning from a transport driver who will be delivering the car by Wednesday. I'll try to post some better pictures soon.

Nice Score....looks gorgeous can't wait to see more pics....best of luck with it....!!!!!!!!

Rickster

Well, I got the car today so I wanted to post some more pictures and give my first impressions. Since I bought the car from another state, seeing it for the first time was pretty exciting.

After getting it off the transport truck and handing over the $400 for delivery I did a quick inspection. I did see a few bubbles in the paint, which was disappointing considering the seller said he could not find any rust. He only owned the car a few days so maybe that's understandable. I'm sure the rust could be fixed eventually. Any tips would be appreciated.

I was finally able to figure out the push button and take it for a little spin. I just had a 65 Falcon so I was able to compare the two cars. First off, the steering on the Dart was 10 times better. Where the Falcon was very hard to steer, the Dart almost felt like power steering. The Dart seems to have a more solid suspension also. The Falcon had a tendency to bottom out, while the Dart felt very solid. I also enjoyed the little slant six. While not as powerful as the 289 in my Falcon, it had plenty of pep for around town and was very smooth on the highway at around 60 mph. I also received plenty of complements on the car.

I'm sure there will be plenty of things to work on. I did notice it seemed a little hot after driving around the highway and didn't want to start right up again. Also the back windows didn't want to roll down very easily. I'm sure I'll find more, but overall it is a solid little car.

Anyway, here are a few more pics, both good and bad. Thanks again for the great welcome to the forum. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. I don't plan on doing a complete restore right away since I need to save up so for now I would like to keep it as a daily driver in nice weather. I already found a few parts and have some 69 Dart Rally wheels located. I am definitely a MOPAR guy now!

dart1.jpg

dart2.jpg

dart3.jpg

dart4.jpg

dart5.jpg

dart6.jpg

dart7.jpg

dart8.jpg

dart9.jpg

dart10.jpg

Should be a fun road trip! Any suggestions before I take off would be appreciated.
Don't go anywhere near Las Vegas on your roadtrip home...read my "road trip" on Dan's 72

beautiful car, you did good.

Don't go anywhere near Las Vegas on your roadtrip home...read my "road trip" on Dan's 72

beautiful car, you did good.

Thanks! That was a great story about your road trip story. Luckily, I didn't have to drive it home. By the way, you have a great looking Dart!

-
Back