New bucket seats - Summit Sport Seats

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Well i gambled and purchased a new seat from Summit Racing. Its their basic Sport seat. I was expecting an ok product but i was surprised by how nice they appear to be assembled and feel comforable. I purchased another one after this showed up and after the little guy approved....

I really needed a seat to tilt forward and fully adjustable so the car seat can fit in the back seat. These will help.

$9.50 for shipping

Attachments

• seat 2.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,144
  • seat 1.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 921
Those are on my list. They look great. What car are they going in?

71' Duster 340 4-speed. I have a Sharktooth grille going on this spring too.

Attachments

• Duster UP.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 843
I bought a set and put them in my duster, I sold them not long afterwards.
The side bolsters make getting in and out of the car hard but they were real comfortable, they sit kinda high.
Ended up buying a stock set of buckets, easier to get in and out.

I bought a set and put them in my duster, I sold them not long afterwards.
The side bolsters make getting in and out of the car hard but they were real comfortable, they sit kinda high.
Ended up buying a stock set of buckets, easier to get in and out.

Haha too bad we didnt cross paths.. im getting ride of my stock set. im slowely getting into Autocross so these are a must. The few times i did it i was all over the place in the stock seats....

I have those same seats in my Dart. Just be carefully of the shoulder harness bezels in the seat back they crack easily!

Seat looks nice in the car. i have to make new rail brackets as this seat sits higher than the old buckets did....

Attachments

• seat 3.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 700
Hey Kyle - Did you buy the Summit bracket adaptors and Scat seat brackets to mount these? Or are you just fab'g all the mounts on your own? Thinking about getting these seats too but trying to decide if I should by the brackets and adapters to make it easy or save a couple hundred and try to make up my own stuff...

How are they coming along in your car?

You don't need to buy the SCAT adaptors, or even Summit's brackets. The mounting brackets are a piece of cake. All you need is some 2" by .125" angle, that's all Summit's kit is.

This is a picture of one of the tracks in my car with the same exact Summit seats, using the stock hole positions in the floor.

attachment.php

Everything fits no problem. The seats sit up a little high, since that's a 2" raise from the floor, but its functional. You can probably lower them down about a 1/2" from what I have here if you have a 4 speed car, on mine the side bolster on the drivers side seat will hit the 4 speed tunnel if you lowered it more than that. On an auto car, and the passenger seat, it wouldn't matter.

IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

It's a little hard to tell in this picture, but the front of the seat only has about 1/2" clearance on the 4 speed hump. But I've got short legs and a 4 speed, so for someone taller, or with an auto, you could mount the seat much closer to the floor. At 5'8" I still have room to the roof, so one of these days I might modify the brackets a bit, but I don't have to.

Hey thanks 72blunblu! That's great info. What grade/size hardware did you use? Just curious. Yea definately gonna go that route. Little work but save a lot of $.

Thanks again

Kyle is this what your lookin at doin?

Just the stuff that came with the kit, nothing fancy. Probably only grade 2 stuff. 5 would be better, but 8 would be overkill. Ultimately its still just bolted to a reinforced section of floor pan.

Even still, the minimum yield on grade 2 stuff is 57,000 psi. The studs on the original seat tracks aren't grade 8.

Has anybody installed these Summit Sport Seats in an automatic, factory console, car?

My factory buckets allow me slide around on top of them, and I was hoping the Summit seats would help hold me in place a little better.

I'm 5' 8" tall and ~150 pounds if anyone of similar size can express an opinion about the fit and feel of the seats.

Dan

Has anybody installed these Summit Sport Seats in an automatic, factory console, car?

My factory buckets allow me slide around on top of them, and I was hoping the Summit seats would help hold me in place a little better.

I'm 5' 8" tall and ~150 pounds if anyone of similar size can express an opinion about the fit and feel of the seats.

Dan

I'm pretty much the exact same size, and I love my Summit seats. They're comfortable, don't let you slide around, and fit in the car pretty well.

They do make it a little harder to get in and out of the car, but it's not a big deal. Probably worse on the Duster, I think the Dart has more overhead clearance. I think the biggest drawback to them is the plastic hinge covers and knobs. I actually bought my seats used, and most of the little plastic covers are broken. Same with the trim around the holes for the harness. But they're still great seats, especially for the price.

As for the console, I test fit a console in my Duster and didn't have any problems. The console is less of an issue than the 4 speed cover. With the seat at its absolute max forward position the seat might touch the console, but even I don't have the seat that far forward. An auto with a console shouldn't be a problem at all.

When I built my car I bought a pair of those and think they're great.

I'm 6'02" and wanted head room. I made my own mounting brackets from 3/4" angle iron that would drop into the factory bucket location (floor dimples). They're just the right height for me - in fact, I have better head clearance than the old worn out bench seat.

finishedbracketsimg_01.jpg

bracketsonslidersimg_01.jpg

http://www.70duster440.com/interior.html#seats

I've had those in my fastback Barracuda (auto/console) for a few years now. I love them! I got them for their $99 introductory price.

I didn't buy the installation kit either and just used some 1" square tubing to fab up suitable mounting brackets (of course they're powder coated lol). I have no issues with the console interfering. One of my favorite features is the universal fit because the lock position releases are on both sides -- so you don't have to reach allllllllll the way across the compartment to let someone in the back seat.

I'm barely over 5 feet tall and about 115 pounds though. My man Billy, at 6'5" and nearly 300 pounds, does NOT like my seats at all. It's not due to seat height or positioning though -- it's because the bolsters on the sides are too narrow and he has to squish his shoulders in between. That's okay by me though ... because I don't have to worry about him wanting to drive my car. :-D

When I built my car I bought a pair of those and think they're great.

I'm 6'02" and wanted head room. I made my own mounting brackets from 3/4" angle iron that would drop into the factory bucket location (floor dimples). They're just the right height for me - in fact, I have better head clearance than the old worn out bench seat.

finishedbracketsimg_01.jpg

bracketsonslidersimg_01.jpg

http://www.70duster440.com/interior.html#seats

Nice work!

The Summit brackets definitely raise the seats up a bit. The only thing I would add though is that I'm not sure you could go that "low" with the brackets on a 4 speed car. I know that on my car the 4 speed tunnel and the front corner of the seat end up in the same place, just my seat is higher. I can probably lower my seat about a 1/2" from where it is now, but I couldn't put in on the floor like that.

Of course, the whole thing might be moot because if you need the seat that low you probably also need it all the way back, so it might not come up. The seat would just be limited a little on how far forward it could go.

Of course, the whole thing might be moot because if you need the seat that low you probably also need it all the way back, so it might not come up. The seat would just be limited a little on how far forward it could go.

Ha! Yeah, I have mine adjusted all the way back.

-
Back