New electric water pump??

-

McKron

Reaction score
I just purchased a moroso billet water pump for my 75-318 duster. My question is do I block off the hose from the thermostat to the old mechanical pump. The only outlet on the new pump is on the lower passenger side. And if so what do I block it off with. Any photos would be appreciated.

yes..you block off the bypass at the intake....

I screwed in a brass plug.

Do you have a heater in that hotrod? If yes, it can be your new bypass. If no,are you running a thermostat? If no,all is good. If yes Id be inclined to rig a bypass up otherwise, until the stat opens all that water pressure deadheads at the stat and no water circulates. Would that be good for the heads? And if the stat fails closed....
Ive never run an engine without a bypass or a stat. Just saying.

Thanks for the replys. I have removed the heater. If I use it as a by pass where do I bypass it to

I just used stainless pipe plugs as shown. The large plug wasn't screwed in at the time of the pic but all sit flush and look nice once installed.

Thanks for the replys. I have removed the heater. If I use it as a by pass where do I bypass it to

the bypass hose is to circulate water inside the engine until it is hot enough to open the thermostat .....

no bypass hose...nowhere to circulate ...unless you tap the intake in the rear or something like that..

Is this on a street car?

Awesome. Thanks for the pics it now makes sense. Nice ride

I think I will remove the stat. It will mostly be strip car but will drive it on the street occasionally to beat up on some mustangs. Only will be driven in summer months. Is there any disadvantages to not using a stat?

Sometimes...people say without a thermostat or some restriction in the cooling system the water will go thru the radiator too fast and will not cool down..

yes..the one car that has the electric water pump is a race only car...

pretty easy...drive it without and see what happens...not that hard to put a thermostat in it..

I think I will remove the stat. It will mostly be strip car but will drive it on the street occasionally to beat up on some mustangs. Only will be driven in summer months. Is there any disadvantages to not using a stat?

Running without the stat my car runs around 200-210 around town on a 100 degree day. Depending on how hot of a motor you've got and your radiator size, I'd say you'd be fine. One thing I really like about the electric pump/fan is being able to let those run after shut down for a few minutes and it will cool the motor 20-30 degrees.

Minor Hy-jack here....

If you had a heater still, how would you run it?

Well, since Ive never run one of those pumps, I guess Id have to stare at it for a bit. Worst case Id dump the heatercore outlet to the top of the rad; but Id rather send it back to the pump inlet,if it were possible.

I run a Moroso electric water pump on my Demon and it is a race only vehicle. I use the Moroso washers to slow the water down so it doesn't run too fast through the radiator. I have to experiment with them, depending upon the time of year and the track I'm running at.

-
Back