New Exhaust Manifold Arrived

-

gyxffyg

Reaction score
Well my new exhaust manifold for my slant six arrived today. So I will be tackling that soon. Unfortunately the box was ripped and the little baggy holding the nuts and bolts was opened and some of the nuts and bolts fell out in route. It was the worst packing of any shipped item I have ever seen. The manifold was in a box, no packing at all. Bought it from CarParts.com. I also ordered the exhaust gasket set from them and it was well packed and seemed to be in good condition. SO I called the seller and they are sending replacements. Another week of waiting for the new parts. Sure wanted to get it done this weekend. This will be my first exhaust manifold replacement EVER. So any advice from any of you experienced people for this job is welcome.

Use proper torque on the nuts and put the funny looking washers in the proper position.(a shop manual is a big help or download info) Heat cycle it a few times, let it sit to cool and re-torque. You should be good to go.

start now cleaning up the threads with a wire brush & soaking with a penetrant. take your time -- since you have a new exhaust manifold don't worry too much about the three bolts that mount the intake/exhaust together, one or more usually break off.

The hardware to the engine the front & back bolt seems to have the most difficulty (interference nut type)
If you have 1/4 drive stuff that will give you more room for the under manifold bolts.
Don't tighten anything too tight until you have the assembly mounted loosely.
Lawrence

I have been pretty lucky loosening the nuts and bolts. I have loosened all the nuts except two. The three bolts that hold the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold close around the carburetor. Two on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. The two on the drivers side are still very tight in there and I tried the one on the passenger side and it broke quick. Thankfully I think it broke in the exhaust manifold and wont be an issue. I have read some online documentation that said to torque the nuts to 10 ft lbs. Does anyone know if that is accurate?

Got the manifolds off. Most of the nuts came off the bolts but 4 of the bolts came out of the block. When the first bolt came out antifreeze went everywhere. Wasn't expecting that.
:eek:ops:

Got the manifolds off. Most of the nuts came off the bolts but 4 of the bolts came out of the block. When the first bolt came out antifreeze went everywhere. Wasn't expecting that.
:eek:ops:

IIRC, ALL the studs go into the water jacket. Be sure to put sealer on the stud threads when replacing them.

Well I made some progress and hit a snag. Went and got 4 new lugs and cleaned up the surfaces of the intake manifold and the engine block. Then put the intake and exhaust manifolds together. Three bolts connect these two manifolds together. Two 3 3/4" bolts on one side and one on the other side. The two go in fine, but the pre-drilled hole on the passenger side of the new exhaust manifold is a different size bolt. And the bolt size that fits the hole is too big to go through the intake manifold. I may have to drill that hole out a bit in order to get it to fit. Rats. Cheap Chines made pos.

IIRC early years used 3/8 and later 9/16. So yes you will probably need to enlarge the hole in the intake

Well I got the hole drilled out and both manifolds bolted together. I got the manifolds hung and everything put back together. Cranked her up and she sounds great. Took her for a short test drive and everything sounds like it should. Thanks for all of the advice. It sure helped.

-
Back