New fuel sending unit help.

-

Jake lagrange

Reaction score
So I recently replaced my fuel sending unit in my 69 Dart. The original fuel sending unit was completely trash. The new fuel sending unit is working perfectly with one hiccup. In the attatched photo is the new unit. The only difference in this one and the factory is an extra tube coming out of the (the straight one that is not bent.) the factory one only had the pipe with the 90 degree bend. I'm hoping for some advice on how to plug up the extra tube as it will cause a
Leak if I fill her up. Any advice is greatly appreciated

IMG_0968.JPG

That's for a fuel return line. If not using it just plug it.
Take a short piece of rubber fuel line. Clamp it to that fitting. Shove a bolt in the other end and clamp it on the bolt. Or other similar item that fits snugly into the fuel line and caps the end.

As a side note what is the condition of your original sending unit? Is it repairable? That sending unit won't read remotely accurate on the fuel gauge. I know they make these little computer boxes to make it kind of/sort of accurate. I've had nothing but headaches with aftermarket sending units.

Not sure how or why you bought the sender that includes the vent/return port. I don't think proper look up for 69 model would have went to that. Someone else will know exactly when the charcoal canisters and vapor return systems appeared. Anyway.... Fuel stable neoprene caps are out there. That and a small clamp will cover it.

I still have the original, it's very corroded, floats missing fuel filters missing. It's the one that came from
The factory, figured I'd clean it up
Clean the connections get a new float for and keep
For a spare if I need or someone else does.

That is the larger 3/8 outlet. 69 used a 5/16 outlet and no return.

Plug it like mentioned and know that the connection hose to the your old body line may be to small now and can pose another leakage issue.
Unless you are running a high power motor the 5/16 line is fine and I would return it for the correct one. Don't forget the ground strap!

It was lack of knowledge on my part and being over trusting of the google search. I had not been able to get a good look at prior to ordering and it wasn't very expensive.

I have it Hooked up now. You are completely correct the hose took some wrestling to get completely on but I did manage to. It's not leaking and I haven't filled the car up past a 1/4 tank until
I get that return line plugged up.

i wouldnt return it,you are very lucky to have one that works correctly.plug the port

i wouldnt return it,you are very lucky to have one that works correctly.plug the port
I have To agree if it's accurate use it and in the future if you put a fire breathing engine in you'll have the sending unit covered for the fuel delivery.

I have To agree if it's accurate use it and in the future if you put a fire breathing engine in you'll have the sending unit covered for the fuel delivery.
If it was me , I`d rig up an extra vent w/ it, you`ll thank yourself every time u fill up, w/ no burping or splash over. I did w/ mine , and it works better than my new one did in 1968 !!

If it was me , I`d rig up an extra vent w/ it, you`ll thank yourself every time u fill up, w/ no burping or splash over. I did w/ mine , and it works better than my new one did in 1968 !!

There is also a metal bodied in line filter with a return port so that addition along with a second metal tube the length of the car, BUT... it will return liquid fuel and atomize it to some degree whenever the tank is less than half full. Others have done this. I'm not sure its a good thing.
A second atmospheric vent as suggested above could be a good addition, especially for early a-bodies, depending on where it dumps. Like a pitch, and/or New Years eve... high and outside. LOL
Just cap it so you can start filling the tank and learn all about how wrong these aftermarket senders are. Good luck

I am also replacing my tank on my 1970 Duster (No Fuel Pressure after driving car.) I also decided to go 3/8 line for future motor build. I think we are limited on sending units for 3/8 lines without vent tube. Mine was listed 67-74 A-Body and the vent I assume is for 72 and up. If anyone knows a place that has the 3/8 sending unit without vent port please let me know. I really don`t want to have to just block this one off. ( UPDATE UPDATE) After searching on FABO I have found a place that sells this without vent tube and is 3/8. Sending this back to summit and eating the shipping charge and car will be down another week.

IMG_20170708_153537.jpg

IMG_20170708_153548.jpg

Last edited:
I am also replacing my tank on my 1970 Duster (No Fuel Pressure after driving car.) I also decided to go 3/8 line for future motor build. I think we are limited on sending units for 3/8 lines without vent tube. Mine was listed 67-74 A-Body and the vent I assume is for 72 and up. If anyone knows a place that has the 3/8 sending unit without vent port please let me know. I really don`t want to have to just block this one off. ( UPDATE UPDATE) After searching on FABO I have found a place that sells this without vent tube and is 3/8. Sending this back to summit and eating the shipping charge and car will be down another week.
After you get your new fuel sending unit be sure that the pickup tube reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank. I explained it in this thread recently to another member:
Fuel Gauge Question

Also just to be clear that extra fitting isn't a vent tube, it's for a fuel line return. If you ever go with an electric pump & circulating/return system that extra fitting is very nice to have.

After you get your new fuel sending unit be sure that the pickup tube reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank. I explained it in this thread recently to another member:
Fuel Gauge Question

Also just to be clear that extra fitting isn't a vent tube, it's for a fuel line return. If you ever go with an electric pump & circulating/return system that extra fitting is very nice to have.
I figured it was a return. I have no plans going electric anytime soon. I have a photo in my mentioned thread above of the sock on bottom of tank.

Classic Industries has a couple, I wonder if theirs has the same problem?? Thanks

you may find that the 3/8 Plus return sender does not seat properly in the tank grommet unless you slightly bend the pickup line up about 1/8. I just installed that pickup (bought it for EFI) and had to do that in a 65.

you may find that the 3/8 Plus return sender does not seat properly in the tank grommet unless you slightly bend the pickup line up about 1/8. I just installed that pickup (bought it for EFI) and had to do that in a 65.
All is good now. I drove the car 10 miles today and it ran beautiful.

cool, I think I got a little dent in my tank as I rememeber now. hows the fuel level indicator accuracy?

i had the same problem with. New sending unit, I rednecked it took a piece of rubber tube about 4 inches long hose clamped it to he return and than hose clamped a bolt in the end. It was. Solid temp
Fix

What is the electrical term they use between the sending unit and gage? Is it just a resistance change as the float lowers? Thanks

-
Back