New gas tank question

-

HAUK67

Reaction score
Purchased a 71 Demon, the gas gauge was not working. I put in a new tank and sending unit and it worked for a couple of days, then stopped again. It is a 340 car with ralley gauges, all other gauges work perfectly. I have the ground strap on the sending unit, any suggestions on what else I can do.. Thanks

I would look at the sending unit wire. You move it around when replacing the unit so, I would start there. Look for cracks in the wire jacket which can allow corrosion in the wire.
Double check the ground system again to ensure that you have a good contact. Start with someone reading the gauge while you move the wire and ground around.

Since the guages move slowly make a wire move and wait 20 seconded in that position.

Going on the bad wire path my vote is on the 90 deg connector at the sender. If it feels wabbly as compared to the stiffness of the wire that might be it.

The tightness in the barrel connector might be it

Or the depth the connector can slip on to the new sender post.

BTW if you still have your oem sender it may be able to be rebuilt for less than the trouble you will experience with an aftermarket.

I would look at the sending unit wire. You move it around when replacing the unit so, I would start there. Look for cracks in the wire jacket which can allow corrosion in the wire.
Double check the ground system again to ensure that you have a good contact. Start with someone reading the gauge while you move the wire and ground around.
Thank you, will do this today

Since the guages move slowly make a wire move and wait 20 seconded in that position.

Going on the bad wire path my vote is on the 90 deg connector at the sender. If it feels wabbly as compared to the stiffness of the wire that might be it.

The tightness in the barrel connector might be it

Or the depth the connector can slip on to the new sender post.

BTW if you still have your oem sender it may be able to be rebuilt for less than the trouble you will experience with an aftermarket.
Thanks, I will check the connection and I do still have the original sending unit.

I had Instrument Specialities in RI rebuild my OEM sender. They do very good work and provide you with the readings afterwards when requested.

I had Instrument Specialities in RI rebuild my OEM sender. They do very good work and provide you with the readings afterwards when requested.
Thank you.. I will look into this.

-
Back