New guy, new hobby

-
Reaction score
Hi all, just dropping a line in this thread to get a quick post on my account before I go to sleep. Just bought a 1965 Barracuda and she is in rough, but workable shape. I have NEVER worked on a car before and I figured that it was about time that I cut my teeth into this excellent hobby. If any one has advice for someone completely new to this arena please feel free to let me know where or what I need to read. Already did some leg work and read the engine manual from Haynes for Chrysler engines, seems fairly straight forward. Basically just a rook looking for a jumping off point. For who ever is reading this, I am probably swapping in a 318 from a parts Duster until I can rebuild the 273. Hoping the stock trans-axle can cope with that, if not I'll just migrate the trans too.

Welcome to the site :glasses2:
If you have any questions, someone will know the answer.
Be sure to post some pics of the project.

100_0263.jpg

Our stable of barracuda's :thumrigh:

Welcome to FABO, let's see some pics! Is the tranny an auto? The 318 will bolt up to the original tranny, no problem, same with any small block V8.

Welcome to FABO from another SoCal member. You're going to have fun here!
Several FABO members right close to you there in Escondido.

Welcome to FABO
Post some pictures of your cuda.
318 will bolt right up.
TXDart

Welcome to FABO. You picked the right place to hang out. Lot's of early A's here. Have to post some photos when you can.
toolman

sweet car to fix up. You can make these cars handle like a slot car if so desired.
Anyway, welcome aboard. You need not go anywhere else. If anybody can get a car rookie to get a good start on a great hobby, even if the rookie knows next to nothing about cars, it is the people here at FABO! we have the patients of a sphinx, the knowledge of a university professor and better advice than Ann Landers!!

Ok, newb question. I took a look around the site and couldn't find a decent "lrn2forum" thread. How the heck do I put pictures in a thread? Or do I just put them in my "album" thingy?

Here she is, sans the hood and up on stilts. What the heck does that to a roof? Those little dents seem odd to me. She was side swiped, that's what made the owner give her up. Clean title though!
img0309eu.jpg

img0311cq.jpg

img0310s.jpg

img0312m.jpg

img0313v.jpg

img0315i.jpg

img0314yo.jpg

Under the "hood." Stock 273, turns but won't fire. Thinking timing chain, but possibly distributor. Doing some research to nail it down. The 273 is coming out anyhow though, so I'll rework her after I get the 318 in.
img0323x.jpg

maybe some one placed something heavy on the roof at on time and tried to fix it or they drove under something lowhanging. It will be tricky to fix but not impossible, as long as the rear window is not broke....(by the way, that is the most complex piece of glass ever put in a car, and one of the largest). I think you have a good start and atleast not alot of rust. Get her runnin good first worry bout the looks later but you can detail the engine compartment before you drop in that other motor. that would be a good start.

Yeah I was figuring on a degreasing and cleaning after I clear out the engine bay, any recommendations on what to use? Something that works best in someones personal experience?

Welcome,you'll like it here.Simple green,hot water.Bigger grease deposits,soak with oven cleanerr.Or beg or borrow a pressure washer.Depends how your neighbors cope.Good luck

-
Back