New guy with M300 mini motorhome.

-

jayk

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for having me here. I have been lurking around gaining a lot of information from you all. So thanks for posting. I have a few questions about my current rig. I will post up some pictures so you can see what I am playing with. It is a 1970s StarCraft star cruiser that is sitting on a dodge M 300 chassis. It has the 318–3 motor.

IMG_8808.jpeg

IMG_8777.jpeg

IMG_8766.jpeg

IMG_8701.jpeg

Welcome!! That is a bad *** RV situ-ma-tation you have there!! Makes me miss the 73 Winnebago Brave we had. That also was on the same chassis, I believe.

Last edited:
Lordie. I think there's one of those on Phlakebook Marketpharce right now!! What appears cool about that is the lack of rear overhang, which should make it a pretty fair towing rig.

That thing is a whole bowl fulla awesome.

Nice Setup

Looks like easy engine access when the Dog House cover comes off.

Screenshot_20230809-070243_Firefox.jpg

Surprised it is a 318 pulling that around, half decent mileage.

Add a 4 barrel, will wake it up and still make good mileage if you keep your foot out of it. But with the secondaries laying in wait for pulling the hills when you need them.

☆☆☆☆☆

Yes, access is pretty good on the sides and top , The fronts not so good.

Does anyone know if they made a 4 barrel intake for the 318-3?

Yes, access is pretty good on the sides and top , The fronts not so good.

Does anyone know if they made a 4 barrel intake for the 318-3?

Here is a simple 4 barrel adapter that works quite well with the stock 2 barrel manifold.

Have used them multiple times with great results.

Don't have to pull intakes or change cams, works fine with the stock cam stock engine.

Screenshot_20230202-130448_Gallery.jpg

20230124_110028.jpg

'69 318 with 4 bbl adapter. Nice improvement on performance.

Summit and Advanceautoparts handle them, like $20 bucks.

☆☆☆☆☆

Guessing your 318-3 has the single plane 2 bbl intake.

If it has the dual plane 2 barrel intake all the better. A little more low end torque.

☆☆☆☆☆

Here is showing the 318-3 closed chamber heads, with factory hardened seats. Your's probably has these on it.

20230809_073036.jpg

Easy to tell from the outside as they will have the large Ford spark plugs in them.

20230809_072822.jpg

Betting it's a 9.2:1 cr engine too, with free floating rods and a forged steel crank.

Heavy Duty Truck Engine

☆☆☆☆☆

1406 Edelbrock electric choke carbs are a nice match for the 318s. Bolt on and go, not a bunch of futzing around.

Screenshot_20230809-081056_Gallery.jpg

10" low profile air cleaner is a better choice under your dog house.

Screenshot_20230809-081359_Firefox.jpg

Nice project, enjoy!

☆☆☆☆☆

Here is showing the 318-3 closed chamber heads, with factory hardened seats. Your's probably has these on it.

View attachment 1716125261
Easy to tell from the outside as they will have the large Ford spark plugs in them.

View attachment 1716125262

Betting it's a 9.2:1 cr engine too, with free floating rods and a forged steel crank.

Heavy Duty Truck Engine

☆☆☆☆☆
Yep, big ole plugs. I just replaced them.

Handy little machine tip that gets the Allen mount bolts and their washers below grade so the carb butterflies will swing open, unobstructed.

20230129_143517.jpg

Clamped the adapter down to my drill press base, then did the machining with a flat 3/4" wood bit to cut the recess.

Simple enough, for those of us who don't have an end milling machine. Aluminum is easy to work.

☆☆☆☆☆

Just curious, which intake manifold came with your 318-3 on your RV?

Single Plane like pictured here?

20230116_104116.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I like the motorhome but never liked working on any of them. I can recall borrowing fender covers from coworkers so to have something I could lay on where the floor carpet was gag nasty, like it had never been cleaned. I think that was Winnebago with entrance door directly right of the doghouse. All have a seat to pull or some chit to deal with.

Very happy to find this page. I think I just purchased the twin one to yours! I understand only 12 of these were made in 1970, yours is the only one other than mine I've seen the same interior.

All original and beautifully intact barn find. Hasn't been started in 30 years, so needs some work, going to crack it open in the spring.

(Is this where I ask what would be the very first steps to dusting off a 30yrs sat 318?) I'm not a mechanic but am dedicated to the project. Can't wait to get her running! All advice and help in the first steps to reviving the old beast welcome!

Here it is, 1970 Starcraft Starcruiser. 49k Miles, 1 owner.

tempImageTwzLWo.png

tempImagewDJhQL.png

Very happy to find this page. I think I just purchased the twin one to yours! I understand only 12 of these were made in 1970, yours is the only one other than mine I've seen the same interior.

All original and beautifully intact barn find. Hasn't been started in 30 years, so needs some work, going to crack it open in the spring.

(Is this where I ask what would be the very first steps to dusting off a 30yrs sat 318?) I'm not a mechanic but am dedicated to the project. Can't wait to get her running! All advice and help in the first steps to reviving the old beast welcome!

View attachment 1716177049

View attachment 1716177050
Oh wow! Lay me (& us all) on some more pictures!

man that thing is awesome!

i'd start a new thread in general discussion on it. sure to get plenty of help on bringing it back to life.

just an FYI, check your wheels. after 68 some are and are not split types, i just had a hell of a time with my 71 D300 replacing tires/upgrading wheels.

Wouldn't a 500cfm holley 2 barrel work just as good? Have to hunt a little but some had electric choke too.

-
Back